This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pope

For anyone who's interested, the new Pope has been chosen: Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina--Francis I.

David

He's catholic?
    Casey

Comment

I'm interested. But I already knew about it. I watched it on television.

Comment

Well, I'm not Catholic, but the Pope is.

David

Comment

Now, did he name himself "Francis I" or just "Francis" and to the media add the "I" simply because he is the first?

From what I read "Johannes Paulus I" named himself as such. Those before him didn't (add the "I" themselves).

Comment

I was traveling all day yesterday and I heard the whole thing happen live on the radio. When it was first announced, they said he chose the name Fransisco. Then about a half hour later they started calling him Francis. Then about an hour after that they started calling him Francis I. So, I can't say for sure, but I think the media added the "I".

I think I heard that he chose that name to honor St Francis of Asisi .

And that is all this Lutheran can add to the discussion.
            Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

The official name is "Francis". It doesn't become Francis I until there is a Francis II.
              Rick B.

Allen R-311D
              Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
              Gulbransen Pacemaker
              Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
              Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

More likely he aluded to Fransiscus Xaverius. He spoke about "evangelising" something more associated with that Fransiscus than with the Assisi one.

Comment

Pope Francis did not add the "I" himself, it was media given. I understand a little Latin, and if the title "I" or "II" comes after the name, they will say it when the Cardinal Deacon announces the new Pope. For example Francis II would be Franciscum Secundum.
                  Fishers, IN

At School Church: Wicks III/40
                  At Church Where I Am Director: Hammond BV with Leslie 122
                  Summer Practice Organ: Rodgers III/47

Comment

I am not Roman Catholic, but I am enjoying listening to the media fuss and whine because the Pope is. :)

mike
                    If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Comment

Hopefully Francis will be the breath of fresh air that the Church needs. It's nice to see him taking the bus with the other cardinals, he seems grounded.

Best wishes,
                      Fettler

Comment

This morning the new Pope explained his choice of a name to demonstrate his love and compassion for the poor:

"Right away, with regard to the poor, I thought of St. Francis of Assisi, then I thought of war," he told the assembled journalists. "Francis loved peace and that is how the name came to me."

BTW, Francisco is the Romanized version of Francis, meaning "from France".
                        Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
                        1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
                        1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
                        1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
                        1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
                        1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
                        1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Comment

I cannot for the life of me see the reasoning of electing such an old Pope each time-is it a `tax evasion ploy?`
                          Many will say that you only reach the required experience standard as a Cardinal in later years-but surely there must be a potential pope who is about 55 years `old?` No sooner do they seem to elect one,when, all of a sudden-he is too old and decrepid to continue-doesn`t appear to be `value for money` to me!!!!!

Comment

But you must admit it is self-limiting in terms of not allowing any kind of long-term monarchy to become entrenched.
                            Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
                            1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
                            1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
                            1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
                            1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
                            1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
                            1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Comment

But you must admit it is self-limiting in terms of not allowing any kind of long-term monarchy to become entrenched.
                              From other comments I heard during the election, this was named as an important reason. I guess they also don't want to do this to one of the younger members as it doesn't look a fun job to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X