X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fettler
    replied
    The comments slating His Holiness for being too old are typical of our ageist society which views anyone over the age of 60 as decrepit and senile coffin-dodgers.

Best wishes,
    Fettler

Leave a comment:

• Austin766
    replied
    I kept suggesting that Rowan Williams ought to have been a candidate. Oh sure, there is the minor issue of the fact that he's not Catholic, but as Archbishop of Canterbury, he practically already did the job for ten years.

Leave a comment:

• wombat11
    replied
    Originally posted by jkrusel View Post
    But you must admit it is self-limiting in terms of not allowing any kind of long-term monarchy to become entrenched.
    Yes,I can see the thinking there-it would be terrible if the old boy was entrenched in a wayward condition and set a bad example-I`m not trying to be provocative-it IS quite a serious position, but it does seem a bit barmy that he `s almost ` shot out` before he begins his term of office!!

Leave a comment:

• Havoc
    replied
    But you must admit it is self-limiting in terms of not allowing any kind of long-term monarchy to become entrenched.
    From other comments I heard during the election, this was named as an important reason. I guess they also don't want to do this to one of the younger members as it doesn't look a fun job to me.

Leave a comment:

• jkrusel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wombat11
    replied
    I cannot for the life of me see the reasoning of electing such an old Pope each time-is it a `tax evasion ploy?`
    Many will say that you only reach the required experience standard as a Cardinal in later years-but surely there must be a potential pope who is about 55 years `old?` No sooner do they seem to elect one,when, all of a sudden-he is too old and decrepid to continue-doesn`t appear to be `value for money` to me!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jkrusel
    replied
    This morning the new Pope explained his choice of a name to demonstrate his love and compassion for the poor:

"Right away, with regard to the poor, I thought of St. Francis of Assisi, then I thought of war," he told the assembled journalists. "Francis loved peace and that is how the name came to me."

BTW, Francisco is the Romanized version of Francis, meaning "from France".

Leave a comment:

• Fettler
    replied
    Hopefully Francis will be the breath of fresh air that the Church needs. It's nice to see him taking the bus with the other cardinals, he seems grounded.

Best wishes,
    Fettler

Leave a comment:

• mashaffer
    replied
    I am not Roman Catholic, but I am enjoying listening to the media fuss and whine because the Pope is. :)

mike

Leave a comment:

• ClergetMusic
    replied
    Pope Francis did not add the "I" himself, it was media given. I understand a little Latin, and if the title "I" or "II" comes after the name, they will say it when the Cardinal Deacon announces the new Pope. For example Francis II would be Franciscum Secundum.

Leave a comment:

• Havoc
    replied
    More likely he aluded to Fransiscus Xaverius. He spoke about "evangelising" something more associated with that Fransiscus than with the Assisi one.

Leave a comment:

• psrick
    replied
    The official name is "Francis". It doesn't become Francis I until there is a Francis II.

Leave a comment:

• Larrytow
    replied
    I was traveling all day yesterday and I heard the whole thing happen live on the radio. When it was first announced, they said he chose the name Fransisco. Then about a half hour later they started calling him Francis. Then about an hour after that they started calling him Francis I. So, I can't say for sure, but I think the media added the "I".

I think I heard that he chose that name to honor St Francis of Asisi .

And that is all this Lutheran can add to the discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Havoc
    replied
    Now, did he name himself "Francis I" or just "Francis" and to the media add the "I" simply because he is the first?

From what I read "Johannes Paulus I" named himself as such. Those before him didn't (add the "I" themselves).

Leave a comment:

• davidecasteel
    replied
    Well, I'm not Catholic, but the Pope is.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...
X