This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Organ (Microphone)

I would like to record my own playing. A quick look at available microphones seemes to limit the frequency response at the low end to 50 to 100 Hz. This is not sufficient to be able to catch the pedal properly. Does anyone know of resonably priced stereo microphones that can be used for organ recording?

Direct connection to the electronics will not work as there are no electronics in the organ.
    Allan

My home organ
    Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
    http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
    Five Newfoundland dogs
    Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Re: Recording Organ (Microphone)

I used to use a single point condenser mike (two mikes in one) for theatre organ recordings, as it produced a very 'listener's point of view' sound. There was a roll off at the bass end where you really want to go down to 32Hz, however. I added a ribbon mike and used a mixer. The ribbon mike's mono output was panned centre and the two stereo signals panned left and right.

The BBC used to use the trusty AKG202 dynamic mike for just about everything, so maybe the answer would be two dynamics for bass and two condensers for the treble. Either EQ while recording or record to 4 channels of audio and EQ as needed whilst doing the mixdown. Also lets you add a bit of reverb if you've got the effects processors or are using a PC for recording.

I'll ask one of my students for his input - he's just got his degree in the subject!

Andy G

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

If you have a mixing board (I highly recommend the Behringer UB1202 priced at $80), then you should try a large-diaphragm Kick Drum microphone. They can handle large SPL's without clipping, and are tuned for lower frequencies.

I use a MXL 990 and v63M's for recording my Hammond, and they can capture the sound just like I wanted them to.

Sometimes (from my experience) , theatre organs are recorded With about two Mics in each chamber, and two in the theatre near the back wall.
      The chamber mics capture the direct sound, while the back-wall mics are mixed in for natural reverb. This setup seems to work quite well for theatres, but I assume your installation is in a much smaller space... In any case, I wish you the best of luck, and hope you can put out some good files for us

NCW

Comment

You should try some small omnidirectional diaphragm condensors. They go lower in frequency than directional ones (like cardios). But they will pick up more reverbation, so you might need to put them closer to the organ. The Oktava MC012 I have here goes to about 20Hz reasonably flat.

Other things:
        - max level is no issue with mics, most can stand 130dB without problem, or add a pad if needed. Your preamp is more likely going to have trouble.
        - you could look for a large diaphragm B&K (you seem to have to register on the site these days) but they have/had mics going down into the milli-Hz range if that is what you are looking for (prepare for very very large dent in your wallet!)
        - keep the mics off the ground. Raise them if possible a few meters, but don't put them halfway the ceiling.

Comment

You will not find a reasonably priced microphone that goes down to 20Hz. But you also don't NEED a microphone that goes down to 20Hz. The pedals will still sound just fine. I would just get a stereo pair of condensers and then experiment with mic placement. I bet you will get better results by putting the mics in different places than you will by spending more money on better mics. Then once you get mic placement down (which would probably take several months) you can decide if you want to spend the money on the more expensive mics.
          Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
          Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

Does the Octava MK012 require an external power supply? Does it have a standard microphone line output?
            Allan

My home organ
            Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
            http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
            Five Newfoundland dogs
            Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

A friend has used AKG C1000Ss and AKG C3000Bs for recording organ concerts. The quality is excellent on the CD's. I guess these mikes are rather expensive but necessary for quality recordings. I think most of these require a phantom 48v supply & preamp.

Comment

Pro quality condenser mikes will need phantom power. Shouldn't be a problem with a good mixer desk. Mackie / Behringer etc will all provide this. Just make sure you have enough mike inputs, some smaller desks have only two.

The AKG's menioned would be high on my list.

Andy G
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Yes, the Oktava requires a phantom power supply. Any desk giving 48V will work. Take care when using both mics that require phantom and some that don't, that some desks don't alow you to switch phantom for each channel (they only provide "general" phantom).

Comment

My tech student suggests the following:

You might want to look at something like AKG D112 and/or Audio Technica ATM25, these are normally used to record bass drums. They are both very rugged and will take high SPL and are fairly inexpensive. You could try the speaker trick as well, wire an XLR to a driver, this will pickup even lower frequencies due to the size of the diaphragm.

And yes, make sure you don't send phantom power to a dynamic mike that doesn't use it. Bang is the word that comes to mind if you do.

Andy

Comment

Sending phantom power to a mic that doesn't need it doesn't do anything.
                      Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555

Comment

Sorry, Tutti, but putting 48V through the a dynamic mike will probably kill it. Not recommended!

Andy G

Comment

Actually, it will just ignore the signal. Nothing will happen, unless its a really old mic or one with a different wiring scheme inside.

Comment

Yea, unless you got old mics in your cabinet you've got NOTHING to worry about. Now if you're used to dealing with some ole RCA ribbons and the like then you are definitely right.

Comment

Since this is low current stuff a short or miswire will probably burn out the preamp/power supply. Some of the old mikes like Neumann are still the best..

I suspect the "bang" refered to previously is the sound of the owner's gun as he puts you to rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X