X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endlessly Repeated Threads

Folks,

Are there any threads on this Forum that get repeated ENDLESSLY? What thread do you tire of?

In my case, it's the topic of Organ Shoes. Could we give it a rest already and search the Forum before posting a new thread? The search below took all of 10 seconds!!!Prayer--Lord, please rise up one day and beat them all with their own shoes. May they be heavy, hard, and inflict much damage on the person who refuses to search before posting!:devil:

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

IIRC I once proposed to start a forum just about shoes so that we could ignore it more easily. But yes, I also had my share of them. On the other hand nobody forces you to actually read them.

Comment

While I agree people might try running a search, these repeated questions do help keep the forum traffic up, which just seems to help keep the forum alive. If an FAQ were created (instead of posting links, a detailed summary would be appropriate) fewer questions would be asked and fewer discussions would be had. More questions means more discussions which means more life in the organ forum.
      When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyJoe View Post
        While I agree people might try running a search, these repeated questions do help keep the forum traffic up, which just seems to help keep the forum alive. If an FAQ were created (instead of posting links, a detailed summary would be appropriate) fewer questions would be asked and fewer discussions would be had. More questions means more discussions which means more life in the organ forum.
        Very good point. Over on the Electronic Organ History Yahoo group it can often go 4-5 days without a comment and then one little comment will spark a half a dozen subtopics, and even a few tangents, all from that one comment. What bothers me is that there are often very good threads of information on Google searches that get displaced by more commercial BS. Any time the Organ Forum shows up in a search for a topic it's a good thing.

I've been looking for images of the inside of a Hammond X66. Can only find a few close ups, no full organ shots of the inside.
        Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
        Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, 1971 X66/& 12-77 tone cabinet w/ 122 kit & TREK Transposer- of which I've retrofitted a Wurlitzer/Lowrey 'PedAL gLIdE' awesome!
        Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
        Conn '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
        PLEASE SAVE THE WURLITZER ELECTROSTATIC CONTINUOUS-FREE-REED ORGANS 1953'-1961' Hammond TW's ONLY TRUE COMPETITOR! (Ggl> NSHOS WURLI 4600)

Comment

In defense of these repeating threads, I might add that it indicates we have new members joining us from time to time who don't know that such and such has been discussed in the past. And/or folks who had dropped out of the forum coming back. Actually, this is the kind of problem we need to have! (Kinda like church.)
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Sometimes the extant threads are so old that when someone has a new question, we're afraid that nobody will be checking on it to respond to us. That's what happened when I wanted to ask about shoes, which inevitably every new member of the forum wants to know (especially new organists, like me). I intentionally started a new thread so that someone would answer me.
            Fishers, IN

At School Church: Wicks III/40
            At Church Where I Am Director: Hammond BV with Leslie 122
            Summer Practice Organ: Rodgers III/47

Comment

Originally posted by ClergetMusic View Post
              Sometimes the extant threads are so old that when someone has a new question, we're afraid that nobody will be checking on it to respond to us. That's what happened when I wanted to ask about shoes, which inevitably every new member of the forum wants to know (especially new organists, like me). I intentionally started a new thread so that someone would answer me.
              That's unecessary as posting to a thread bumps it up to the top of the thread list. In addition the post appears in the New Posts list so in reality your post has the same visibility whether you start a new thread or post to an old one.

Ideally, myself or one of the moderators, could merge like threads into a single thread but this is not always desirable as threads sometimes meander from their original topic.

The best solution for some of the repeated questions is to create an article in the Wiki covering the topic. The reason people start new threads is not only because they failed to search for them, but because they're too lazy read through the posts in a large thread to find the kernal of an answer amongst the chaff.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I found that out after the fact, but before then I thought it would just sit buried!
                Fishers, IN

At School Church: Wicks III/40
                At Church Where I Am Director: Hammond BV with Leslie 122
                Summer Practice Organ: Rodgers III/47

Comment

Oh and well......doing a search on the organ forums search que is nothing like a google search......in fact I don't even use it anymore...I get better results googling it and clicking on the results that show to be from the organ forum....how crazy is that?!
                  Allen 5300-DK, Hammond A-105, Conn Custom 905-DK

Comment

I concur: the forum search function is less than IDEAL, I use GOOGLE as well to search the Organ Forum if it doesn't give me results I can use.
                    1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

If you're using Google enter site:organforum.com after your search terms and Google will limit its search to the forum. For example

organ shoes site:organforum.com

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again: the Forum is search is very powerful, and more efficient than using an offsite search engine, if you're willing to take the time to understand how to use it.

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...hing-The-Forum
                      -Admin

Allen 965
                      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

80% of members likely have ADHD >>shiny
                        1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Whenever time is available and my memory allows, I'll personally complete a search back to past information the poster needs and insert a link as an edit. We have had many comments about how friendly and helpful forum members are. That's the type of community in which I'm proud to have a part. Shoes doesn't seem as bad a question as "How much is it worth?". We need a new universal answer: Not what you hoped! Happy Easter to all who observe it and best wishes for the start of Spring here in the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by jdoc View Post
                            80% of members likely have ADHD >>shiny
                            What makes you think [squirrel] anyone here [point] has ADHD? (Hint: Watch the movie Up).
                            Originally posted by Admin View Post
                            The best solution for some of the repeated questions is to create an article in the Wiki covering the topic. The reason people start new threads is not only because they failed to search for them, but because they're too lazy read through the posts in a large thread to find the kernal of an answer amongst the chaff.
                            Gee, thanks! Now, I'm just the chaff among the wheat.:'( However, I have been trying to find the time to begin some of the writing for some of the Wiki materials I'd like to add. Taxes come first--then probably death.

Michael

P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone. With OCD, it's hard to ignore posts--even though they are repeated endlessly. I also used the Forum's Search function to compile the list that started this thread, so I guess it worked for me.
                            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Well, some posts will always come back and are relevant when they come back. Simply because after some time the info in them is stale or just not up to date anymore. And in those cases I think a new thread is usefull.

But shoes... someone looking for shoes should understand without asking that this is a very personal thing. Not everyone has the same feet, the same build and certainly not the same pedal technique. Whatever works for someone could be a total nightmare for someone else. So the same question that has no sensible answer is repeated over and over again. When I'm in need of shoes, I go to a shoeshop and ask advise there from people that know shoes and feet. So I can try them and feel them.

Comment

Working...
                              X