This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you dream of accomplishing as an organist

What is your life long dream as an organist?

Do you dream of playing for a Theatre?

a Sporting Event?

a Concernt?

Re: What do you dream of accomplishing as an organist

A concert hall. Definately. Mary Preston, who plays down here at the Meyerson, has the perfect job, I think.

Comment

I'm happy with my 60 member congregation and 6 member choir. I would just like to increase my salary.
      Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
      Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

Had two dream jobs in my life - excellent organs, fine choirs at both places, one for 15 years and one for 10. Am now very contented in semi-retirement, playing for a decent-sized church with an OK choir, an excellent choir director, no pressures, no silliness and an appreciative congregation.

Comment

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

not to derail..i'll get back on topic at the end...

Andy...that is one of the things I'm slowly working on is eventually to record my home pipe organ with other organs, in particular my Hammonds. As my own playing is pretty awful I'm going to be trying to do with with MIDI sequence software... I'm in the process of evaluating my Reuter pipe organ for MIDI installation and all that it entails.. after I get that done I will eventually be MIDI'zing my Hammond CV as well as a Rodgers 550 analog organ. I'm not terribly interested in hauptwerk and digital samples at this time, but in the future I'm sure that will come up.

back on topic:

my own goals: to learn to play better, I have no interest in a church job but I would like to eventually have the ability to play a church service. Once I obtain that ability I'll be thrilled.... I practice about a hour a day and am getting there, but will take another year or so at my present abilities.

Comment

Of course, I knew I wasn't very good. So the first part of my slogan below was all that I aspired to. Now, at 60, I look back and can say with a straight face, "I exceeded my talent, and I hope that I sometimes made music."

Comment

To be able to play a few pieces at concert level.

Comment

To have as much fun as I can playing, for as long as I can.

Comment

I haven't felt strange asking a concert organist for an autograph. Sure it's not the norm, but I have the autographs of some of the world's greatest organists, and I'm still collecting. I've got Joyce Jones, Andrew Resinger, Christopher Herricks, Mary Preston, Bradly Welch, Gerre Hancock... etc...

When I sign my first autograph for someone else, I know I'll be where I want to be.

LWL, I have to agree with you on that. She does have the perfect job...

Comment

To be the organist at a large church with a LARGE organ (think Crystal Cathedral). HIGHLY unlikely though. I can't even play two of the Bach Little Preludes, but one very well. I am also working on several hymns and the Hornpipe by Handel.

Comment

To play my home organ well enough to please myself. I will probably never get to a final level of capability since the more that I learn, I discover that there is a new level to reach.
                        Allan

My home organ
                        Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
                        http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
                        Five Newfoundland dogs
                        Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

Music2skateby, what do you dream of accomplishing?

Comment

My son has aspirations to be a church director/organist. However, I am finding that full time jobs that can pay him enough to live on seem to be few and far between. Most jobs are part time paying 12,000 per year, hardly enough to live on. Maybe he will a scientist M-F and church organist on the weekends.

Comment

Don't become a church organist, thats one thing. Its just not worth it. Play for yourself and enjoy it. Church music is dying, and you'll only get more frustrated to learn that there aren't more people out there like you. That in fact, you are a dying breed. Sorry to be negative, but I for one am really glad I am getting out of the church game. I am enjoying my music again, because I am just playing purely for pleasure in my own home.

Comment

Working...
                              X