X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dec
    replied
    Re: was E. Power Biggs good?

Roy Acuff - - - - - Roy Atkins? Topic was Biggs and Fox. Someone got derailed. dec

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied

Roy Acuff isn''t to bad either!

Leave a comment:

• scoobydoo6v92
    replied

My favorite guitarist is Mr Guitar aka Chet Atkins.

Leave a comment:

• music2skateby
    replied

I would agree with John with respect to Fox. Each of us has our own styling and tougths of sound and expression. Not knowing who Biggs was or ever hearing his works, I can't honestly answer. I have heard Fox however, and I agree with John.

Leave a comment:

• DuffOrgan
    replied

Ms Smith, I was going to "bother" to reply and answer item by item in regards to what you wrote, however, you seem to mix up who you're replying to and what they said. You seem to get a head to steam and just roll on and on, including rolling over anyone in your way. GET PROFESSIONAL HELP, GIRL!!!!

Ed

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    -

Post deleted by author

Leave a comment:

• Ethel Smith
    replied

Mr. CMStrack,
    As you informed," me, "any one of them with a normal ego and who didn't take his/her self too seriously."

here is your post
    ------------------------------------------------------

CMStrack

Total Posts: 149

Posted: 03-22-2005 01:33 PM
    Ethel Smith asked:

What classical organist would refer to a "selected Piece or work" as a number or two?

Any one of them with a normal ego and who didn't take his/her self too seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is an earlier post of yours. Please note your language referring to music written by Bach.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. CMStrack,

Total Posts: 149

Posted: 02-24-2005 02:27 PM
    Dear Ethel Smith:

A few comments about your post.

1. I think you missed the point completely: if it took Fox 2-1/2 hours to finish a Bach Piece because he kept starting over, and the organ was having troubles, I think anyone with any muscial taste might decide that a drink (or almost any other activity) would be better than another 2-1/2 hours of a second piece! It seems to me these people left the concert rather than being bored by a few more hours of cyphers-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question: do you really believe anybody , not alone, Virgil Fox would do some thing like that for two and a half hours? a less than 10 min piece over the lenght of time that the opera Carmen takes.? Walter Mitty himself couldn't turn a BS story out like this one.
    If you believed it when you read it , then, try this one, " I had a vision of the Madonna . She said to me that you are to give me all your money worldly posessions"
    Now , what is your first reaction? BS! right? that is what brought about my post to Mr Edward Duff.
    There for, I conclude it is you rather than I that has missed the "point"

For the record, If this is the same Jeanette that is referred to by Mr. Edward Duff. I was with her in the group that went to see Fox. there were no ciphers, there were no repeats. there were no cigarette breaks outside. no one left until it was over. and we were all very impressed. there is one thing I don't remember , that is the presence of , Mr. Edward Duff.
    If this is not the same Jeanette Tagg we are referring to here, I stand corrected and please accept my sincere apologies.
    However, If this is the same Jeanette Tagg, Mr. Edward Duff must be in an altered warped sense of reality to twine a story like this to demean "Fox"
    How pathetic! it is BS stories like this that filter their way into our professions and demean us as well.
    Our instrument was first developed in the church as it was taken from the street. and then refined over the years . It became the grandest of instruments built by man.and has allowed many of us to enjoy a career using it I love the organ and all that it represents. To "lighten up" when some one hap hazardly twines a story that is fiction about a man who has done more for all of our careers that any other, is " biting the hand that feeds it." The popularity polls over the years have proven that Virgil Fox was indeed our best.
    Why can't those in his profession reinforce that rather than spew demeaning BS stories like Mr. Eddie Duffy for sensationalism.
    The need for one's sensationalized self sarcastic wit here in this forum is over bearing at times, and then you justify it by telling me to lighten up?
    If you are all organists here, then at least act like one and hold your profession high with respect, it has allowed you a comfortable life, don't put it on the bottom shelf along side the "Drinkies"

Leave a comment:

• OCM Rich
    replied

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    -

Post deleted by author

Leave a comment:

• Ethel Smith
    replied

Mr Edward Duff,
    It seems to me that after reading your post again, we may both know the same Jeannette Tagg you refer to . I also was born and raised in Pittsburgh.
    In knowing Jeanette and Stanley Tagg, that is who you are referring to are you not?
    I would have to say Jeanette doesn't have a sarcastic bone in her body. She is a kind and sweet little lady who has a class of femininity far above the rest. That is if we are speaking of the same Jeanette. Through out the six years that my life inter reacted with hers. not once did she ever make a statement like that and not once did she have a so called "drinkie"
    As far as your list of people you have been influenced by, BS! a flag flown over the capital spends more time on the pole than you could have with this many people. What is the old saying for this, " A jack of all trades , a master of none"?
    and yes my A#SS is beneath me as should yours ! If you keep laughing it off, how on earth will you be able to spread any more of your BS.

PS I wasn't name calling, just merely calling a spade a spade! besides that, I think some Mittyism is at play here .
    stop laughing Eddie, the key to being qualified is having a love for your instrument, not yourself.

Your statement,

"I also have heard many other great and lesser known organists who played maybe a number or two at an AGO convention."

What classical organist would refer to a "selected Piece or work" as a number or two? this kind of language is right out of the Lounge. you know, where the drinkies are kept!
    enough said!

Leave a comment:

• dec
    replied

Elson Irwin:

Somehow your post did not include a way to reply, so I am using this method to respond to you. E. Power Piggs, and I said PIGGS was not the greatest organist who even lived. He was good, but he had problems. Email me and I will explain why. decaplin@aol.com

Leave a comment:

• Elson Irwin
    replied

I heard E Power Biggs in my youth and yes, I believe he was the most accomplished organist who ever lived

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    -

Post deleted by author

Leave a comment:

• dec
    replied

Charlie:

I don't know how the E. Power Piggs thread turned into a discussion of finger problems. I merely suggested that if you have to scald one's fingers to play, it is time to say "No" to playing some of the more difficult pieces but continue to play within one's limits. I have a right ear hearing problem, and of course, the organ where I play is in the balcony with the sound coming from the Chancel which is directed to the RIGHT ear. So, I have to adapt and be careful not to blast out the congregation. My next approach is to have the console turned around so I get the full force in my left ear.

And, of course, seek medical help when a problem FIRST happens. In my case, I lost 40% of the right ear hearing when I was 17 due to the dosage of, then used, sulfur to treat ear infection. It keeps getting worse. Now I have the added problem of ringing in that ear which can't be treated. Thanks for the reply. Keep playing. I do. The congregation loves it.

Dale.

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    -

Post deleted by author

Leave a comment:

Working...
X