X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Allen Organs--general chat

Hello everyone!</P>

Allen...Well, I dont have much experience with it... I have played them a few times , mostly at weddings that i have done. 2 of them were digitals from the mid 80's and the last one I played was a new installment (2005) They all sounded like pipe organs to me... I have never played a rodgers. NO opinion there. I have never really been interested in them (Allen) because my type/style of playing (in or out of church) Allen doesn't have the sound I seek.. I like that electronic organ sound, with Rotary speakers... One thing that always seemed interesting was those "gyrophonic" speakers Allen had..Do they still make those...Did they really sound like Leslies? Does Allen currently make a Theatre or gospel type of organ? But I do think Allen makes a good pipe-alternative....I know that they are expensive, but what digital organ isn't these days?</P>

from</P>

Anthony , in Hayward, CA</P>

Comment

not true. Any electronic builder's console sold as a replacement for a pipe organ console is really just an upgrade path to an eventual all-electronic organ.

You can of course insist on having your electronic organ console trimmed out with better keyboards and hardware, but by the time you do so you often meet or exceed the price of a real pipe organ console. I would concede, however, thant some electronic buiders consoles might be preferable to a supply house console, some of which are indeed very poor quality.

I have often made the following point to churches considering an electronic replacement for their ailing pipe organ:

Did you ever stop to consider that the business model of the electronic organ builder depends on the fact their product will need to replaced after a few decades?

Wicks recent foray into all electronic organs, while viewed as controversial by some, is actually just a reapplication of the long standing Wicks business strategy to sell a good quality product at the bottom end of the market. I say let them go for it, though buyers should know the entry level units actually use Viscount components. This is by no means a secret and the Wicks dealers acknowledge this. The more expensive models do have Walker components.

The reality of the modern electronic organ-buying market is a very, very tough place to do business. Likewise for pipe organs; the definition of the pipe organ as a luxury item becomes truer by the day. Modern builders have take this into account.

Comment

&gt;&gt; The assertion that a console produced by any of the electronic builders is the equal of a pipe organ
        &gt;&gt; console - this is simply not true.
        Any electronic builder's console sold as a replacement for a pipe
        &gt;&gt; organ
        console is really just an upgrade path to an eventual all-electronic
        organ.

Okay, I'll bite... what makes them unequal? I guess I'd buy the statement if you had said some or most, but "any" is a pretty big claim. I've seen cheap consoles and well built consoles on digital instruments. I dare say the Phoenix consoles are every bit as well built as a pipe organ console.

&gt;&gt; Did you ever stop to consider that the business model of the electronic
        organ builder depends
        &gt;&gt; on the fact their product will need to replaced
        after a few decades?

Whereas the business model of the pipe organ builder depends on, what, finding new congregations with large sums of cash who can afford to spend a lot on their music programs? What happens when those run out?

&gt;&gt; The reality of the modern electronic organ-buying market is a very,
        very tough place to do business.
        &gt;&gt; Likewise for pipe organs; the
        definition of the pipe organ as a luxury item becomes truer by the
        &gt;&gt; day. Modern builders have take this into account.

How so?

Andy

Comment

Comment

I had the recent experience of playing a pipe organ with an Allen console, and that console was simply amazing to say the least. The drawknobs had a very nice feel as well as the keyboards. Overall, a very successful blend of pipe and digital

Comment

Working...
            X