This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help...

for my last assignment for high-school music, i have chosen to research the history of the electronic organ and how it has developed into what it is now.

does anyone know any websites, or people i could contact via e-mail to find information on this topic?

Re: please help...

Yes, I do. If you care to email me at decaplin@aol.com I will be glad to help you out. I have some influential friends who were in the electronic organ business in its early stages during the 1940's when much of good stuff appeared. There is a wealth of information there. I can supply the information privately. Dale.

Comment

Click here for an excellent article. It deals primarily with the history of the Hammond organ, but contains other useful information.

You should also try an internet search on the following names

Laurens Hammond
      John Hanert
      Jerome Markowitz
      Thaddeus Cahill
      Ralph Deutsch
      Telharmonium
      Armand Givelet

Here's another site to check out.

Good luck and feel free to post any other questions you might have.

Comment

John: Seems you forgot Wally Benke!

Comment

Seems you forgot Wally Benke!

Sorry, not familar with the name and a Google search turned up nothing.

Comment

John: Wally Benke designed every Conn organ since its beginning right up through the 652 theatre model and the 830 classical model. Conn is probably second to Hammond in electronic or electrical organs since the very beginning. Baldwin is probably number three. Wally information is available on the internet. You just have to check him out more. Google is not always the total answer.

Comment

Wally information is available on the internet. You just have to check him out more. Google is not always the total answer.

A Google search on the words Conn, Benke, and organ, reveals that Louise Benke was Laurens Hammond's typist, but no references to Wally, Walter, or Wallace.

How about a link to the information you speak of?

Comment

Try Conn Organs or Conn Organ Corporation. You will find a tour of the factory as well as a picture of him pulling stops. Wally designed EVERY Conn organ since the first 800 church model through the 652 theatre model. His picture is even on the sight. He is now living in Michigan in a retirement community.

Comment

I spent another 1/2 hour trying to find the information you say is out there with no luck whatsoever. >:<

If you or anyone else factually knows where on the internet to find information on Mr Benke, then please do all of us a favor by posting an actual link to the site rather than clues.

Comment

It seems that in my old age and poor eyesight, I left the "h" out of "Behnke". What I said was factual, but it appears that the web site is no longer available for viewing. I thought that the site was still there and easily available. Sorry for offering "clues"--that was not my intent. When I get additional information about Wally, I will post it. Some of the Conn models were very nice instruments for their time which was, of course, prior to the high priced stuff we see today. Dale.

Comment

I am a new member as well and LOVE the history of the electronic; ALWAYS looking for more. Please send information to <lloydsacid@hotmail.com>. Thank you...Lloyd Sacid
                      Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK.
                      Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO-Hauptwerk) with Leslie 44W (shorty).
                      Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A (tallboy) tone cabinet
                      A.L. Swan antique pump organ (C.1852) Cherry Valley NY
                      Member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS): traditional worship. Cleveland Clinic Spiritual Care volunteer with the chaplain's office.

Comment

John, I may have put my finger on that site: http://organservice.com/cgi-organservice/tour.pl

Comment

Good find. This would appear to be the site dec was referring to.

So is the elusive Wally the guy sitting at the large 3 manual drawknob console in the last slide? No names are mentioned.

Two other comments:

1. I didn't realize that the Conn electronic pipes came in so many different sizes.
                          2. Some of the pictures look like they were taken at the dawn of the industrial revolution rather than in 1971.

Comment

It took me some digging to find that site so I can understand the 30 minutes you searched. Anyway, better late than never, eh?

Comment

Working...
                            X