This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Lightening Struck

I remember going with my grandfather in the 80's to an organ concert at the Crystal Cathedral to hear the German organist, Heinz Wunderlich.He started with, I believe, a Buxtehude work. About a minute into the program a flash of light filled the entire Cathedral (remember it is surrounded by glass) and then a loud bang! Lightening had struck very close by. The power went out, the problem could not be fixed andthe audiencewent home.</P>

Talk about going "out with a bang!"</P>

Re: When Lightening Struck

Lol. Did it actually strike the cathedral?

Comment

No, but it struck nearby. It was a pretty re<U>volt</U>ing experience, but at least it was current! -ha!</P>

Comment

Ha... I guess having people pumping the blowers inside the case had its advantages, eh?</P>

Comment

If they didn't die of a hearth attack...

Comment

I live on a lake and forwhatever reason my house got struck about once per year, usually in the spring...the damage was normally just all my electronics that were plugged in getting fried howevever once it knocked some stones off my chimney.

I put up lightning rods 4 years ago and have been problem free since (knocking on wood).

Because of the suseptability of lightning I keep the pipe organ on surge protecters PLUS I keep the breaker that powers the blower and everything on the organ OFF. I know one is not supposed to do that but I just have too great of risk not to...maybe the lightning rods have cured everything, but for me its too great of risk not to.

Comment

[quote user="Allan"]

It was a pretty re<U>volt</U>ing experience, but at least it was current! -ha!</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

omg</P>

Comment

I guess there must have been quite an effectivethunder stop on that organ.

Comment

Working...
                X