This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadgum Crescendo Pedals

Sometimes when I have played an organ (as a substitute organist, for example),withinsufficient time toget the organ adjusted (or tuned!),on the occasion when I wanted to use the crescendo pedal it almost always is adjusted with the large and loud reeds coming in too early. What are people thinking? At the point it should be "mf" I get some blaring reeds.I am talking about organs with sufficient ranks of 8' stops in which the crescendo could be a little more gradual. Of course, it is usually best to adjust volume with the swell pedal, but when I need the rare effect of the crescendo it is not what I want.</P>

Re: Dadgum Crescendo Pedals

I've only played on one organ where I thought the Cresendo sequence was useful.</P>

Toodles!</P>

Comment

I started a thread a couple of years ago on crescendo pedals that is still active Classical OrgansClassic &amp; Church Pipe OrgansDo you love your crescendo pedal? #4866 that you might like to look through also.</P>

I set my crescendo in a more romantic tradition ie: build up to all 8' and 4's, then the soft reeds, the upperwork, mixtures, and finally thefull reeds and couplers. I cannot imagine either whythe situation you describe would be used. I'll bet the resident organist doesn't use it [:-*]</P>

Lee</P>

Comment

I use the crescendo pedal on rare occasions by simply pressing it down fast on hard, for example before the final verse of a hymn at Christmas or Easter when the crowd is much louder. It would never even occur to me to try to use it any other way.

Comment

When I got to St. Matthias', the crescendo build up was horrible! Because it has pipes, it doesn't function like simply an electronic organ... So I fixed it and reprogrammed the build up.</P>

Actually, I don't noramlly use it all that much, but I used it this last Sunday's choir anthem. At the very end it needed to build up a bit, so I just slowly tapped it up. Very nice effect...</P>

Comment

When I encounter a new organ - if I have time - I'll try the crescendo pedal to see how it's programmed. Usually it does exactly as you've said and comes in with something terribly inappropriate about half-way through the process and scares the heck out of me. Most of the time I just ignore the crescendo pedal entirely.

Comment

Working...
            X