This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

<font color="#a52a2a"><font face="Courier New"><font size="3">Hello everyone! I'm <font color="#000080">Clay</font>, I'm 24 years old, and I'd like to be a part of this community, as I have always been fascinated by pipe organs and classical and liturgical Organ music. I don't know much about actually theory, but I want to get there. I really want to play, and hopefully sometime in the next year I will able to get a AGO spec electronic organ for my home. I love all sorts of organ music, Bach, Buxtehude, Pachelbel, Bruhns, Franck, Guilmant and Boellmann being favorites. I also love many hymns. I'm one of those guys who thinks Pipe Organs should be the center of church music, and I'm not into "Contemporary Service Music". I love the beautiful, vital sounds the organ makes, and it's been in my soul for a long time. If any of you guys want to give advice, feel free...please! I have lots of cds, but I want to play. I think Bach's Orgelbuchlein would be a good place to start. Are there any websites that go into depth about Bach's chorales, or actually any of his organ works? If anyone wants to give any advice, I'm all ears! Thanks! Nice to meet ya!

<font color="#000080">Clay</font>
    </font></font></font>

Re: Hello!

Hello!</P>

My advice is to do 2 things ... stay in this forum (because there's a lot of good/knowledgeable organists here) and get a teacher. Even if it's only once a week or every other week.</P>

I just started learning a couple years ago. I took lessons once a week for about 3 months and figured I was good (I'm a converted pianist). Yeah ... not a good idea. I'm still fixing bad habits I developed. And not just minor ones but ones that have a real impact on my service playing.</P>

It's been frustrating at times trying to learn how everything works. But being on the other side now ... where I can actually play the music instead of just listening to it ... Oh, so much better!!</P>

And welcome to the forum :O)</P>

Comment

Hi Clay</P>

I'm Lee, and going on 63. What is your instrumental playing background? If your keyboarding is already up to the Organbuchlein go for it. I used to start my students in Flor Peter's <U>Little Organ Book</U> from Mclaughlin &amp; Reilly Co. in Boston 1957. but I don't know if it is even in print anymore. It starts with two part arrangements of reformation hymntunes and builds to five part with Bachs little <U>Prelude and fugue in C,</U> with some great pedal exercises in between that willhelp you heel and toe by pure instinct.</P>

My advice is find a congregation to play for as soon as you are competent to play a four part hymn. The discipline of leading a group of strong singers can't be beat, plus the thrill of connection. Theological fine points disappear in a chorus of exaultant voices.</P>

Lee</P>

Comment

Hi Clay!

We're the same age and it sounds like we've got much the same view on service music and organs. I'm just a couple of years into organ study and I'm absolutely loving it. Definitely hang around this forum and soak up the good advice that floats around so often. I'll also echo the other advice on here and suggest you find yourself a teacher and regular lessons as soon as possible. There's no substitute for one-on-one lessons with a good teacher.

Best of luck with all of your organ-related endeavours and I'll look forward to seeing you around here.

Comment

Hi Clay,</P>

Welcome to the Forum. I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy being a member. Lot's of interesting folks with many different experiences and philosophies. </P>

Mike</P>

Comment

Working...
          X