This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strictly come dancing is rubbish

Well I have decided that Strictly come dancing is total and utter rubbish.
    Here we have tonight's episode coming from the Blackpool Ballroom.
    What lives there?
    A very big phantom of the ballroom.
    One of the biggest theatre organs in the country and is extremely famous.
    so what do the BBC do. Bury it under one of the most rubbish stages I have ever seen.
    And as for that orchestra or pub band is more appropriate. Where's the live big band orchestra.
    With real instruments?
    I could do better on a Casio.
    It's so rubbish the wife as changed over to watch something else. Yes ok I do watch it to admire some very nice females. LoL.
    They do it every year. They go to Blackpool and hide the phantom of the ballroom under the stage
    I curse the BBC for not letting the beast loose.

I seem to remember, either last year or the year before, that one of the professional dancers had a long history of dancing there as well as his parents and grandparents. The Wurlitzer there was very important to him, so it did make a brief occurance on the TV (although I don't think anyone played it!) That's as close as it got.

As for it being rubbish, I totally agree. We used to watch it, but like everything, the novelty quickly wears off once all the big stars have already done it. At least Bruce finally gave it up, in the last series it was like they'd hired someone from the local nursing home to present it (no disrespect - but he should've ended his career with more dignity than that). He was awful; unable to even deliver his tired jokes and at times even forgetting to ask judges for their comments!

As for the dancing, that's gone down hill with each series too. They do a good job, but it's always been substandard dancing and I'd rather just watch the professionals do it. It says a lot about society: put ballroom dancing done properly by professionals on TV and it won't make it past BBC 4 at 10PM, but put on some "celebrities" you've never heard of who can't do it properly and turn it into a competition, then it makes it on BBC 1 prime time TV! When it started, the dances were a bit more sophisticated and well thought out. Now it's just about how big the set is, how little they wear (if anything), and how utterly obsurd and over-the-top the moves are. Some of them are so over done, they're not even technically the dance they're supposed to be. But then the voting all comes down to the public, who simply vote for the best looking contestants as opposed to what the judges say. Even then, some of the judges opinions are slightly questionable too, but they have to try and play to the public and also turn it into a "fashion" contest or else it'll lose viewers.

Trash TV, like most things these days. Remind me why I don't watch TV...

Comment

IMO broadcast television is rubbish. I've stopped watching it altogether.
      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
      Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Rubbish is one of those words that instantly makes someone on the internet sound British.

Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
        (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post
          Rubbish is one of those words that instantly makes someone on the internet sound British.
          I could say what I really mean but I would get thrown out of this forum.

Comment

Here in the US we have Dancing With The Stars. My wife watches it. A few weeks ago they had some guy "Pitbull" as one of the judges. The couple did some ballroom dance, and the first thing "Pitbull" says is that he doesn't know anything about ballroom dancing and proceeds to give the couple a score. So how did he get to be a judge if he knows nothing about ballroom dancing? I think it was last year that they had an aging arthritic Billie Dee Williams as one of the contestants and he had to leave the show early for medical reasons - obviously. I felt bad for the guy ... But why was he even a contestant? These programs are really not about dancing; they are about this weird preoccupation with celebrities and in the case of Mr. Williams the "watching a train wreck" aspect too - shameful.
            Jimmy Williams
            Hobbyist (organist/technician)
            Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

In my family, any programs related to dancing or music are approached with a knowledge that it is subject to criticism. My grandparents were both ballroom dancers decades back (and were on television for that matter) and my brother is a qualified ballroom dancing teacher. My sister is studying as a classical singer and I need not say anything about my musical background. Any program involving these subjects (especially when involving amateurs) is subject to being deemed awful upon the professional opinions of family members. I think it's easier not to bother to begin with. Of course the judges are obliged to give high scores (especially towards the end of the competition) even if the performance is in reality quite average.

Incidentally, it has been noted that the possibility of my mother having two sons, neither of whom are gay, who both wear high-heels for different reasons is quite remarkable (my organ shoes, like my brother's dancing shoes, have two-inch heels).

Comment

I lived for 9 years without owning a TV, and didn't miss it much. Now I use xbmc.org to stream whatever I want, commercials already trimmed.

I can't speak for UK, but in USA broadcast television started slipping hard(er) with the 2001 television writer's strike. Survivor was the first big reality show hit, though there were similar things before. All of a sudden, Television, Inc. discovered that instead of paying the cast of Seinfeld millions per episode, you could have a whole season of unknown people, competing for one million dollars. Now there are dozens of reality shows.

The networks/broadcast TV have been hurting for decades under the influx of cable, and now even more with Netflix and Hulu. Their complete existence depends on commercials, and new media is a big threat to that.
                Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

I/we almost never watch broadcast TV.
                  Occasionally the local PBS channel, but almost exclusively Netflix.
                  The shows I want, when I want.
                  No commercials.
                  I can stop it anytime I like, and resume at my leisure.

Broadcast TV? 57 Channels (And Nothin' On). Or maybe 257 channels these days.
                  'Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.' --N. Bonaparte

My friends call me Steve, won't you be my friend?
                  The cast, in order of appearance:
                  Kawai K5, Yamaha PSR-85, Thomas Trianon A-6820, Gulbransen 621-K, Conn 580 T-2, GEM WK1 ST
                  Hammond H-112, Ser. #16518, from 8/16/1971
                  Oh, and let's don't forget the Jaymar!

Comment

Originally posted by picothinker View Post
                    Now there are dozens of reality shows.
                    Except that the 'reality' is scripted. The producers selectively cast and design character roles for each contestant to enable confected conflict. Mind-numbing rubbish/garbage/trash in anybody's language.
                    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                    Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
                    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Two words:

Jerry Springer
                      'Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.' --N. Bonaparte

My friends call me Steve, won't you be my friend?
                      The cast, in order of appearance:
                      Kawai K5, Yamaha PSR-85, Thomas Trianon A-6820, Gulbransen 621-K, Conn 580 T-2, GEM WK1 ST
                      Hammond H-112, Ser. #16518, from 8/16/1971
                      Oh, and let's don't forget the Jaymar!

Comment

The thing that annoys me most about Strictly is the choice of music and the arrangements played. Call me old fashioned but if I'm watching a tango, I'd like to hear one, not a 120 BPM four to the floor disco number. And as for the number of beautiful 6/8 and 12/8 ballads that have been 'converted' into oom pah pah, oom pah pah viennese waltzes...... (Sorry, there's no emoticon with steam coming out its ears!)

I had a young student this afternoon and introduced them to the idea of compound time with a piece in 6/8. Even as a 'compound time virgin', he could appreciate that it sounded better as a slow 6/8 than a frantic 3/4!
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andrewdineen View Post
                          Well I have decided that Strictly come dancing is total and utter rubbish.
                          I agree, it's utter tripe. I certainly don't watch but wifey does and sometimes I get to see the odd unintended snippet, and it all seems so cheesey, staged and fake. I think that since the Tower Ballroom is sort of the 'spiritual home' of ballroom dancing in the UK, they could at least for two dances, elevate the old Wurli. Then for the rest, a classic 30's /40's dance band. The 'house' band is mediocre at best, but the session singers are absolutely awful! They may be OK down the pub on a Friday night karaoke but that's about it. In fact, and I know this is pushing it, I'd say there are probably better singers on the X-F@ctor.

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                          The thing that annoys me most about Strictly is the choice of music and the arrangements played. Call me old fashioned but if I'm watching a tango, I'd like to hear one, not a 120 BPM four to the floor disco number.
                          I know exactly what you're saying Andy, but if I had anything positive to say about this load of . . . of . . . nonsense, it's that some of those arrangements are actually quite clever, and work quite well I think.
                          Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
                          Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
                          Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

I know our American Dancing With the Stars has theme nights. Perhaps you could suggest an entire night with just the Wurlitzer? A thought? Perhaps they think they'd lose viewership should they succumb to authentic musicians.

Michael
                            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I could suggest a few things. A night with the Wurlitzer would be brilliant! I wonder what the viewers' reaction to that would be. I accept that times move on but sometimes think that sadly, taste and appreciation declines. I also think that there are some out there who don't realise what they're missing.
                              Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
                              Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
                              Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

Working...
                              X