• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post

During Saturnalia, Romans would :

1.) Decorate their house with evergreen boughs
    2.) Exchange Gifts with each other
    3.) Feast for several days on end
    4.) Upend Roman social convention (e.g. masters would provide table service for slaves and allow free-speech)

Sound familiar?
    And if you really want to talk similarities.....compare the story of Jesus with that of the pagan "Sun-God," Mithra. Makes for great table discussions, that's for sure!!
    1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
    Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
    Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
    New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

Just to make the agony last a while longer...

The so-called "war on Christmas" was first started in 1959 by the ultra-conservative John Birch Society (a group so far to the right that it was disowned by William Buckley, his National Review magazine, and mainstream conservatives in general. The war went away rather quickly in the 1960's, only to be given new life at the dawn of the 21st century by Bill O'Reilly and Fox News.

After the Great Depression and World War II, the marketing gurus managed over the years to turn a religious holiday into a a binge-buying spree. No need for children to go to church and kneel before the Christmas creche; just take them to any large department store or shopping mall and they can pour their hearts out to Santa Claus. At first, the children were frugal, asking for perhaps a toy train, nuts, fruits and candies and a surprise. Nowadays, they want a PlayStation, an iPhone, a computer, new computer games and robot toys that cost a small fortune.

The saddest irony of the season is that much of the Santa Claus myth came from the 1863 poem "A visit from St. Nicholas" ("'Twas the night before Christmas"), which was written by Clement Moore, who was the son of the Episcopal Bishop of New York and later was a professor of theology and founding patron of the General Theological Seminary (Episcopal) in New York City. He should have known better! To make things worse, he opposed the abolition of slavery and before the Civil War owned several slaves.
      -----------------
      Johannus Opus 1100 (ca. 1990)

Comment

Originally posted by DrBen View Post
        ... At first, the children were frugal, asking for perhaps a toy train, nuts, fruits and candies and a surprise. Nowadays, they want a PlayStation, an iPhone, a computer, new computer games and robot toys that cost a small fortune.
        Well, there's no one to blame for this but the parents who feel the need to indulge. I'm sorry, but whether it's genetic disposition or my incredible ability to parent properly, I am proud to say that I get the best compliment any parent can get at this time of year.....my relatives come up to me and say, "What can we get the boys for Christmas? They ask for NOTHING!" Sweet music, indeed

Anyone who thinks my son would be getting that 55 B3 chop for Christmas if I didn't secure it for $50 is delusional!

Originally posted by DrBen View Post
        The saddest irony of the season is that much of the Santa Claus myth came from the 1863 poem "A visit from St. Nicholas" ("'Twas the night before Christmas"), which was written by Clement Moore...
        And, as I said in an earlier post - Santa was further popularized in the 40s thanks to some very successful ad campaigning by the Coca Cola company....

Click image for larger version

Name:	cocacola.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	594349
        Last edited by JoeyB3; 12-09-2014, 06:05 AM.
        1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
        Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
        Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
        New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

I'm so disappointed I came to this conversation so late. It seems everyone has made all the points I would have.

I agree, I am so sick of political correctness. I'm also tired of people beating around the bush in general and the too-common use of euphemisms - it seems as though one cannot directly address so many issues these days.

In fact I get so tired of all this rubbish that I am known to be purposefully politically incorrect and dysphemistic. That really spices life up.

Comment

Count me in as one who detests Political Correctness. It I only a short distance from being politically correct to being intentionally misleading. One only has to witness the US governments use of the term Enhanced Interrogation Techniques to see this kind of dishonest euphemism being used to deflect guilt and responsibility.

Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
            (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Although I don't think this is the place for a discussion of it, I don't associate EITs with guilt and irresponsibility.

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
                Although I don't think this is the place for a discussion of it, I don't associate EITs with guilt and irresponsibility.

David
                Well, it is sort of off-topic, but has been weighing on me of late. I don't like the idea of hiding behind safe language. I am concerned that our fundamental liberties are at risk, and that terrible suffering may have been inflicted without need. Alas, we may never know what may or may not have happened in the name of our safety.

Rant over. Sorry to derail the thread. My apologies to those offended.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post

David
                  EIT is like x-mas because it's better to give than to receive.
                  Casey

Comment

Originally posted by SubBase View Post
                    EIT is like x-mas because it's better to give than to receive.
                    Casey
                    ^^^Too soon?

Johann Sebastian Bach

Comment

What is an EIT?
                      Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Comment

Well, one example is repeatedly flushing somebody's head down the toilet until he tells you what you want to know. A particularly effective variant is waiting until the subject drowns, then reviving him with CPR, and starting again.

Comment

Originally posted by pictureroll View Post
                          What is an EIT?
                          Enhanced Interrogation Techniques

Otherwise (in non-politically correct terminology) = Torture

Actually, I don't think it's really a 'politically correct' issue, but a plain-and-simple obfuscation of what is going on so so people don't need to consider what is really happening.

Much like the Spanish Inquisition, if pressed hard enough, anybody will confess to anything.
                          'Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.' --N. Bonaparte

My friends call me Steve, won't you be my friend?
                          The cast, in order of appearance:
                          Kawai K5, Yamaha PSR-85, Thomas Trianon A-6820, Gulbransen 621-K, Conn 580 T-2, GEM WK1 ST
                          Hammond H-112, Ser. #16518, from 8/16/1971
                          Oh, and let's don't forget the Jaymar!

Comment

Wew! You guys! And all this started by a simple thanks to the Moderator for the cheerful new look of the Forum! I posted my effort to thanks under a different thread the heading of which was misspelt so many may have missed it. Anyhow it is very interesting to note how many just need a little push to bring forth many words - often totally unrelated... What a wonderful, confusing, stimulating and interesting bunch we all are: The magnificent, eternally superior (to the four-legged) specimens of organ loving, musically, electrically and mechanically inclined, forever busy trying to improve (?) things around us..... and not often succeeding! How's that for not being politically correct or euphemistic.

Nico
                            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Working...
                            X