Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto. Almost all my Hauptwerkers are now on 8.1. No issues - except initial audio drivers needing updates etc.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by j reimer View Post
      I would be wary of using Windows 8.1 for any virtual organ application.
      I wonder if you tried this fix.
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-72372cc2eb9e
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
        Thank you for the link to that thread. At least it shows that the problem involving Windows 8.1 and its MIDI via USB function, which I tried to alert people to, is not confined to my set-up nor is it confined to people using virtual organs. I first heard of the problem when a friend visited a music store in Sydney and reported to me the remarks of the salesman. Of course I soon discovered the problem for myself when I bought the new Windows 8.1 computer.

I did in fact discover that thread some time ago and tried to install the suggested Registry changes. I have no idea whether I succeeded in following the instructions correctly. All I know is that it made no difference. So I am using Ubuntu instead of Windows 8.1, and am very pleased with what it is delivering.

It is good to hear that you and Andy both know plenty of Hauptwerk users who do not have this problem with Windows 8.1. However, this in no way implies that for many people there IS no problem, as that long thread regrettably indicates.

John Reimer
        Last edited by j reimer; 12-18-2014, 03:39 AM. Reason: An important NEGATIVE was omitted

Comment

For those who don't wish to read through the article, the problem described in the article is not with Windows 8.1 per se, but rather with a third party USB MIDI adaptor that does not correctly handle the USB 3.0 protocol as implemented by Windows 8.1. The Windows fix is a registry change that modifies the protocol. Of course, another fix would be to use a different USB adaptor. Andy G. has commented recently on the performance quality of MIDI adaptors on the market today in another thread.
          -Admin

Allen 965
          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

John, that's UEFI and it can be a royal pain. It is a software interface between the motherboard and the operating system, replacing the hardware BIOS that is present on motherboards. Microsoft says that it will protect you. It also allows you to boot Windows from disks larger than 2TB (I wasn't aware that was a problem, but I don't use Windows). It also allows motherboards to be built that can try to exclude any OS other than Windows being installed.

Hard-core Linux guys can compile a kernel with some flags set, and any Linux can still work. I have had UEFI success with Fatdog64 (an offshoot of Puppy Linux) and Tails. Tails is a hard-core privacy distro, not well suited for virtual organs.
            Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Originally posted by picothinker View Post
              John, that's UEFI and it can be a royal pain. It is a software interface between the motherboard and the operating system, replacing the hardware BIOS that is present on motherboards. Microsoft says that it will protect you. It also allows you to boot Windows from disks larger than 2TB (I wasn't aware that was a problem, but I don't use Windows). It also allows motherboards to be built that can try to exclude any OS other than Windows being installed.
              Don't know if it would have worked out, but since Hyper-V is baked into Windows 8, I think I would have tried installing and running Ubuntu or Windows 7 in a virtual machine before attempting the dual boot solution.
              Last edited by Admin; 12-18-2014, 08:06 AM.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I have a UEFI dual-boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu box here.... I don't recall running into any difficulty when recompiling the kernel and making custom USB live distros.

Reading between the lines, it seems like the simplest solution here for users who have a MIDI interface that uses that particular buggy chip should just plug into a USB 2.0 port; if you don't have any, stick a USB 2.0 hub between the computer and the MIDI adapter. Of course, I have not tried this.

Wes

Comment

Working...
                X