This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All!

Wasn't sure which board was the right one to come to for a new member,so I thought this board was most appropriate to introduce myself on. My name is Dewey and I live in Bluffton,IN. I don't play the organ,but I STILL enjoy listening to great organ music,...along with great guitar instrumental music. I do play guitar,though,and had been taking private instruction until I suffered a fall over four months ago which resulted in a broken wrist. I'm healing up and recovering from that injury,...and hope to get back to my playing real soon. So,...why is a guitarist coming on the organ forum? I think I pretty much answered that question in my introduction,...I enjoy organ music,...and let me also add that I have always wanted to play the organ. Piano never interested me as I was most interested in all the different sounds the organ could make like flute,trumpet,etc. I started out on electric guitar for pretty much the same reason,...you can get a different variety of tone out of the two or three pickup coils,...PLUS,...electric is much easier to play than acoustic due to it's lighter and lower playing action. Back to organ,...I have sat down at a few just for fun,and like the electric guitar,organs have a lighter playing action than a piano. As for my choice of organ brands I like most and have heard the most more than any other,...Hammond would be first,...followed by Rodgers. Allen is okay,but for more realistic pipe organ sound out of an American brand,Rodgers would be my choice. As for guitar,...since I am a guitarist,...I chose Fender.
    Late 1980's Rodgers Essex 640

Welcome to the site. I hope you learn all you want to know. If you don't want to buy or restore an organ, the repretoire sections have some links to good music.
    I bought a guitar long before I could afford an organ, but nylon guitars can't be heard in groups, and bronze strings cut grooves in my fingers. My skin is too soft to grow calluses; I'm related to Cher or something. (too many Native ancestors). So when old junk organs with more than 44 keys got down to $150 I bought one - a Hammond console. There are lots of sounds one can make with an h100, and I'm looking at designs using IC's to extend the range some more.
    I live downstate, 40 miles from Madison, the location of the abandoned Conn organ plant. I'm in the same county as the Kimball organ plant now repurposed to office furniture. The latter is a brand better forgotten IMHO for reliability issues. Of course, Hammond, despite the name, was from over the border in South Chicago. indiana was the home of many great musical instrument factories, now all abandoned and the production moved out of the country.
    Hope your wrist heals properly. I recently sprained both of mine in an exercise class, but got back to piano/organ practice after a couple of weeks off. Have a great winter of practice and listening to music if you can't practice.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Hiya Dewey!
      Welcome to the mob. One thing you need to get straight off - on this Forum there is a lot to read and say, and you will have less time playing. But here's where you will get answers to your questions, food for your musical spirit and just a giggle or two if you're sharp enough to catch it. There are no sour-pusses on this Forum, they frequent elsewhere... Again, welcome!
      Nico

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya Dewey!
      Welcome to the mob. One thing you need to get straight off - on this Forum there is a lot to read and say, and you will have less time playing. But here's where you will get answers to your questions, food for your musical spirit and just a giggle or two if you're sharp enough to catch it. There are no sour-pusses on this Forum, they frequent elsewhere... Again welcome!
      Nico
      Last edited by Organfella; 12-16-2014, 05:32 AM. Reason: duplicated
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
        Welcome to the site. I hope you learn all you want to know. If you don't want to buy or restore an organ, the repretoire sections have some links to good music.
        I bought a guitar long before I could afford an organ, but nylon guitars can't be heard in groups, and bronze strings cut grooves in my fingers. My skin is too soft to grow calluses; I'm related to Cher or something. (too many Native ancestors). So when old junk organs with more than 44 keys got down to $150 I bought one - a Hammond console. There are lots of sounds one can make with an h100, and I'm looking at designs using IC's to extend the range some more.
        I live downstate, 40 miles from Madison, the location of the abandoned Conn organ plant. I'm in the same county as the Kimball organ plant now repurposed to office furniture. The latter is a brand better forgotten IMHO for reliability issues. Of course, Hammond, despite the name, was from over the border in South Chicago. indiana was the home of many great musical instrument factories, now all abandoned and the production moved out of the country.
        Hope your wrist heals properly. I recently sprained both of mine in an exercise class, but got back to piano/organ practice after a couple of weeks off. Have a great winter of practice and listening to music if you can't practice.
        The intent is to buy an older Hammond spinet organ,...later model M-3 from about 1963 to 1964,...but NOT from ebay if I can avoid it. My living room is too small for even an A-100,which I'd rather have and learn on. I pretty much grew up around Hammond organs anyway,...my grandparents had an M-3,but when they passed on,one of my cousins ended up with it,...guess I didn't speak up soon enough,or I would have it. The church I went to as a small child had a Hammond organ,...a C-model,...most likely a CV if memory serves me correctly. So,as you can tell,...I'm quite partial to Hammond organs just as much as I am to Fender guitars and Fender amps. The church I go to now has an XH-272 Elegante. I can't afford the brand new Hammonds! How much better are the M-100 and L-100 series organs over the M,M-2,and M-3,...or is there really any difference between them as far as sound quality? Are these organs easy to find? I would also consider an M-100 series or L-100 series organ. I do know how to start a tube/tone wheel Hammond organ,BTW!
        Late 1980's Rodgers Essex 640

Comment

Hi Dewey, welcome to the bunch. You'll find more here collectively than most anywhere else online. There are some great Hammond spinets, nothing in the world wrong with an M-3. I haven't been around the later M-xxxs, but I think they have one more pedal, and some tabs in addition to the drawbars.

Earlier M-3s (and Leslies and tone cabs) have a field coil speaker (needs separate supply to power an electromagnet in the speaker), and later ones have a permanent magnet.

They are all a marvel of modern engineering, but at 50+ years old they all need a little basic maintenance. They are tough and easy to get working again. Many won't start after decades of neglect so they get sold cheap (and/or the kids don't want Grandma's old organ). Craigslist or anything local is better than Ebay because it's good to be able to check it out in person. Plus, shipping on Ebay is not very practical.

In the midwest USA, M-3s go for free to around $250. Keep looking!
          Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Working...
          X