This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ipad for music

I sing in a regional choral group. Our rehearsal accompanist just recently began using an iPad to play from instead of printed music. I'm intrigued by this but have never owned or have any knowledge of iPads. The system that she uses has a wireless pedal that she uses to go forward or backwards on pages. Needless to say, as I play organ and rarely piano, I already have enough to do with my feet and no where to put a pedal. She told me that she knows organists that use the iPad with organ and thinks they use a different app that scrolls the music as they play. Can anyone here give advice on this? What do I need? What should I expect to pay? Where do I get it?
    At home: Allen T12 B, At church: Patrick Murphy Pipe organ. The console is a rebuilt Moller.

Scrolls the music as you play? I wonder how it knows where you are! Mind you, I've had page turners who suffered from that!

All the apps I've come across rely on a pedal. Even the pro level Music Pad Pro did that.

It would be interesting to find out, though I personally find the iPad too small for comfortable reading of music.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Maybe it's the age of my eyes, but like Andy, I find a ten inch screen to small to read comfortably. I want something just as large as a typical page of music. A Surface Pro 3 with its 13" screen might fill the bill, but the other drawback is that a tablet displays only a single page at a time rather than the two. And then there's inconvenience of having to scan your existing music into it - and I've got a lot of music.

I'm sure electronic displays will eventually replace the printed page of music, but I want one that can display two pages side-by-side in the size and resolution I'm accustomed to.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by beagleboigb View Post
        Can anyone here give advice on this? What do I need? What should I expect to pay? Where do I get it?
        Allen has this as a feature on their newer organs. They can include toe studs and/or pistons you can press to turn the page--heaven forbid you press it twice by accident! It does have a backward page turn as well. I believe there are other page turning programs for the iPad. Have you tried Apple's App store? If they don't have anything, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to write an App for it in XCode. The difficulty is the trigger (i.e. touch area, external switch, etc.).

Michael

P.S. Try some of the music re-sellers that sell music digitally (i.e. J.W. Pepper or Hal Leonard). They may have an app for that as well.
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Having watched a 21-year old organist play music from the screen of an Android phone sitting on the music desk I realize that mine eyes have seen the glory of better days past.
          Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
            Having watched a 21-year old organist play music from the screen of an Android phone sitting on the music desk I realize that mine eyes have seen the glory of better days past.
            And now, folks, we have a truly amazing antique--a book of Bach's sheet music. Imagine having to turn pages while playing!
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I have a Dell 22-inch widescreen touch monitor sitting on top of my E-100. I can open PDF files using Windows 8 reader (a built-in app) on the laptop, which is also up there, show two pages, and advance by flicking to the next two pages. It quite often misinterprets my swipes, especially if I'm concentrating on the music, and jumps back to the small "index" of pages, interrupting the flow. It's also crappy about dragging a page down to close the app. (But Windows 8.1 puts a title bar on top of a Metro app IF you have a mouse connected and throw the mouse cursor up there.)

We have a Kodak 3-in-one inkjet in the house that can scan directly to PDF. That's a little buggy, too, but when I can convince it to work horizontally, Adobe Reader can rotate the resulting document to read vertically AND show two pages. The old HP legal-size scanner that I used to have would have done a much better job at the actual scan than the little Kodak does. It thinks greyscale and monochrome are the same thing, and it's greyscale that you get.

I also have a USB foot pedal that can send page down, back, and up. It looks like a sewing machine pedal. I got better at using it with my left-foot at the piano. I don't have a great place to put it on the E-100. On the lower end block, I can bang it with my left hand, but this is really no faster than swiping. (Except that the swipe has to be a slow, deliberate motion to work.)

Anyway, I'm getting to where I either need a bigger monitor or glasses focused to the proper distance.

In theory, I could use voice control in Windows to order "page down." That is something I haven't tried because my "office" is in a storage room attached to a free-standing garage and it has a through-the-wall AC/heater unit that runs year round. (I have three organs, one piano, my computer desk, a treadmill, an exercise bike, and other stuff in this less than 200 sq ft floor space. It also has six corners, three doors, and 9 ft ceilings. I can get some reverberation going in here.)

In the future I'd like to like to try something like the Leap Motion to see if a vague, rapid motion could be used to advance the page.
              -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
              -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
              -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

You need an app which doesn't misinterpret gestures. Swiping at the screen is good UI for this if you ask me.

Comment

I'm still looking, Wes. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. However, part of the problem is ME. I can get consistent results by drawing a very pretty straight line about two inches long on the screen. It has to be quicker than a drag, and adding some acceleration makes the "page flick" work better. Unfortunately, that means planning the gesture and acting very deliberately. What I'd really like is to be able to do just about any type of sloppy motion to the right or left and have the pages advance (or go to the previous page). This works GREAT for scrolling in web pages, for example, on the PC or grabbing the entire page and scrolling on an iPhone. Come to think of it, that's really what I want to do - just grab the page and flick it to left... not worrying about if one, two, or three fingers are touching.
                  -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
                  -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

No suggestions, not a windows user. I would probably embed Adobe Reader into Explorer and write the UI myself if I were doing this. But I'm a) stubborn and b) a software developer. And c) I did it before, only on XP with a pen computer

That reminds me, instead of flick, tap zones work too. I think that's how iGigbook is set up.

Wes

- - - Updated - - -

No suggestions, not a windows user. I would probably embed Adobe Reader into Explorer and write the UI myself if I were doing this. But I'm a) stubborn and b) a software developer. And c) I did it before, only on XP with a pen computer

That reminds me, instead of flick, tap zones work too. I think that's how iGigbook is set up.

Wes

Comment

I used an iPad a program called, Piascore. It works great and I can read the notes just fine. Though the screen is smaller, the bright, high density, lit display compensates for this. It is easier to read than regular sheet music and you can buy tons of fake books online and even find quite a bit of free material. I began using it as a trumpet player, but like it even better on the digital piano:

http://trumpetsearch.com/ipad-sheet-music-app/
                      iPad Sheet Music App
                      Baldwin GPS-2500 / Roland BK-7M Arranger Model
                      Hoping to replace with an Atelier.

Comment

forScore is supposed to be good, but I don't know. It's news to me, but I found some blue-tooth operated pedals, to turn pages.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of these, other than operating a search engine.
                        Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Windows touch-screen PDF reader for sheet music

Guys, I've found a better program to use. Though designed to be an eBook reader, it's simple and it's free for Windows 8. The major advantage of it is that one can tap to advance the page. This is in contrast to the Windows 8 "Reader" application which takes a swipe sideways and Adobe Acrobat which takes a scroll downward.

It's called "Analog Book Reader."

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...c-698f93672b6b

It checks some of the boxes for me.

- It can display two pages at once.
                          - It displays full screen and hides the interface.
                          - It's a Windows 8 "Modern" ("Metro") app, so it's touch-enabled by default.
                          - A single tap anywhere on half the screen determines where it will go, i.e. tap right to go to the next page.
                          - It scrolls sideways.
                          - It's free.

Ultimately I'd like to get a REAL sheet music reader program like "MusicReader." The major feature for me would half-page advance: show two pages at once and with a tap, move over one page only.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
                          X