This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady Gaga Surprise!

My younger daughter gave me for Christmas a cd-Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Cheek to Cheek.Of course we all know how great TB is,but Lady Gaga??
    Never a fan and she's as mad as a box of frogs of course but this album is a revelation-all standards and she can really sing she's great! I'm converted!
    Goes without saying a top notch band features also.
    Recommend it unreservedly.
    Roland AT900C updated.

I saw the television program of the concert this was derived from on PBS TV and was pleased with both the performers. For one thing Tony Bennett has been stuck in a rut by his fans, and this concert he cut loose and sang some different pieces than he usually does. I've heard entirely enough of Moon River and I Left My Heart in San Francisco, and fortunately these were skipped. Lady Gaga is a competent singer, but it is hard to get into her when she wears a different hairstyle with every piece. She must wear a buzz cut or something very convenient.
    I just checked the PBS.org website, and they link to youtube.com for the videos of the program, which you can see if your computer and link are fast enough. On the right is a box with the eleven song playlist. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nett+lady+gaga
    I hope I play as well as he sings in my eighties.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Singing standards makes nearly all singers sound above average, including Tony Bennett. Lady gaga push's boundaries and is musically more interesting to my ears.

Derek

Comment

She's actually trained with a legit background- went to NYU/Tisch, was a staff songwriter for a label, fronted a band in NYC. I believe she adopted the outlandish Lady Gaga persona to stand herself out from the large crop of similar sounding and looking female singer/songwriters. Her music is not my particular cup of tea, but she's definitely talented, and at least she's her own person and sound and self-made, unlike so much of the pop industry.

Comment

Michael has nailed it. I not a fan, but I recognize both her chops and marketing genius. If good music was trendy, she would be making it, but it's not. The girl wants to make a living and has managed where most have failed.
          Good for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
            Michael has nailed it. I not a fan, but I recognize both her chops and marketing genius. If good music was trendy, she would be making it, but it's not. The girl wants to make a living and has managed where most have failed.
            Good for her.
            ^ plus one.
            “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
            “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
            Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
            (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Let's put it into perspective; there's no way I, a sixty something amateur organist,professional percussionist, would have been bought 'Gaga sings Gershwin'or 'Lady Gaga and the Rogers and Hart Songbook',so very smart marketing right there,although she hardly needs the money!
              Unlike many other 'pop princesses'she actually has a voice.
              Roland AT900C updated.

Comment

very talented lady and understands show business, entertainer extraordinaire.....better than most other "pop divas"
                1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

She also has decent taste in music --

Comment

When she was on tour with her Monster Ball show and was on stage in New York, she talked about her teachers and related that one of them once told her that she did not have the right stuff to ever be successful as a professional musician.
                    -----------------
                    Johannus Opus 1100 (ca. 1990)

Comment

Working...
                    X