This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beasts or pets

I suppose in the different parts of the world where we live we all have our favorite beasts or pets. Just look what I found when I unlocked the office door a couple of days ago. These are harmless insect eaters and they grow to be as big as a large hand. Very quick when roused but generally docile and non-poisonous. They make for much entertainment when the female of the homo sapiens species discover them first.... Shrieks and screeches and a fancy type of tap-dance usualy result from the first sightings. This one is a juvenile, I know his parents. Imagine finding one sitting on your organ keyboard when you open up....

Attached Files
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

I like that ! . As I live out in the country side here in Spain I get lots of interesting visitors , scorpions etc.

Derek

Comment

In the garage with my Wurlitzer 4300 organ and the Conn case, the raccoons have ripped the aluminum sheet off the eaves and taken up residence again. I went out a 2 AM a couple of nights ago, there were four of them in a row crawling across a joist to their exit. They sat up and bleated at me, a row of fuzzy teenage teddy bears begging for a snack. They are so cute. If they just weren't so destructive, I'd put up with them. They chewed two holes through the roof and asphault shingles last year, and chewed off the board that holds the carport up to the rear eave this winter. I still haven't got he carport re-supported and back up and they are already tearing up what repairs I did do to the front soffit. Spraying them and their bed in the eaves with a mixture of malthion (already in the sprayer, and vile smelling IMHO) and ammonia didn't phase them a bit.
      In my country trailer, the mice have built a nest on the TG of the H112, and eaten half my diagram of the tube socket I'm trying to replace, and eaten the tip of the oil applicator bottle. They may have eaten red and yellow wires again, I haven't turned the organ on this year. the blue lizard that visites in the trailer is welcome but the mice deserve the death sentence after I spliced the red and yellow wires in the H112 tab box (and filled the holes with tin cans). So far the mice have eaten the bait off the trap, but not tripped it. Regular peanut butter is poisonous to me, I use the low sugar kind that separates into oil and dry paste, so if I'm going to bait the trap with peanut butter I'll have to buy a jar of jif that I can't use myself.
      city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

[QUOTE=Derek inthesun;389345]
        Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

Comment

Que? Lo que joder paso?

Comment

Originally posted by Organfella View Post
            I suppose in the different parts of the world where we live we all have our favorite beasts or pets. Just look what I found when I unlocked the office door a couple of days ago.
            My wife tells me she doesn't have enough Raid for that one. So, I guess we're not visiting South Africa any time soon.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
              My wife tells me she doesn't have enough Raid for that one. So, I guess we're not visiting South Africa any time soon.

Michael
              Michael, please do not call off your visit. We use high-powered rifles when those beasts get too cheeky! Some of them make good eating too, so, you'll always be welcome!
              Nico
              Last edited by Organfella; 06-05-2015, 01:18 AM.
              "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
                They sat up and bleated at me, a row of fuzzy teenage teddy bears begging for a snack. They are so cute.
                In my country trailer, the mice have built a nest on the TG of the H112, and eaten half my diagram of the tube socket I'm trying to replace, and eaten the tip of the oil applicator bottle. They may have eaten red and yellow wires again, I haven't turned the organ on this year. the blue lizard that visites in the trailer is welcome but the mice deserve the death sentence after I spliced the red and yellow wires in the H112 tab box (and filled the holes with tin cans). So far the mice have eaten the bait off the trap, but not tripped it.

Don't know anything about raccoons as we do not have anything similar in this country, but they do sound very cute and tame. What we do have are very cheeky baboons! They break into houses just like any regular burgler except they are much more agile - and destructive. They deftly open locked doors and windows, breaking everything as they proceed to the refrigerator and dry food cupboards and steal everything, munching as they go. Those are the real pests!!! And they are protected by law. . I'll swap you a few of these darlings for a couple of raccoons. I'll even throw in a couple of tarantulas as a bonus. How about that?
                As far as your mouse problem goes, my advice would be to get a fluffy, underfed cat. Your mice will disappear in a very short time, but the lizard will have to watch out!
                Nico

Comment

I wish I could use feline mouse control, but I'm not out at my northern property seven months of the year. Even if I left an electric cat feeder and watering bowl, the electricity is subject to failure and I'm not out there to report it being out. I lost the piped water that way . The heater tape on the water feed line failed and the pipe ruptured and the spray dug a big hole in the limestone from the "shut off" water meter.
                  I've had stray cats take up residence in the hollow tree trunks around the trailer, but I never see them after one winter. It is too cold and windy up there. If I left a cat flap for a cat to enter and exit the trailer, I'd get raccoons and groundhogs in the trailer. One groundhog was particularly fond of "marking" the bathtub, until I found the hole and covered it with sheet aluminum. They do that on downed trees out in the woods. And the raccoon (I assume) one winter opened the popcorn tin full of candy and cookies and spread wrapper bits all over the inside of the trailer. No cat flap: I just wish I could stop the mice from chewing holes. I've got a big mousehole chewed in my city house next to the back step; I'll have to caulk up before winter. Since I'm not living in town 5 days a week, the city mice have used their holes to make a big exit. No more ivory and dial bar soap for mouse dinner, One fat mouse used to run out and lick the oil off the spatula after I made pancakes every morning; she is not around anymore. There are strawberries and figs on the ground out in the yard, I don't know what the mice were thinking trying to make a living in my city house anyway. I'm eating the strawberries and figs myself: I'm not as lazy as a city mouse I suppose.
                  city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Sounds like you have a real problem... Maybe I should offer to go and live there for the nine months you canot be there! That might be a whole lot better than to have to look out for mammoth spiders! But after all, it sounds like a nice place you have there, if only someone somewhere could find an answer to the universal mouse problem. All the other monsters one can cope with but those little squeeckers can multiply in a vacuum!
                    Nico

Comment

Just take a look at what greeted me this morning when I entered the office!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_075307.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	597717

The digits on that meter are about 3/8" high.

Before I could intervene, it had devoured three customers and one large dog, the rest of them ran away....

Just kidding. These monsters are quite docile but they can really move when they need to - and that is a bit scary. Makes one do all kinds of fancy dance moves spontaneously, especially the ladies...

Nico

Comment

The best thing I have found for mice is the dryer fabric softener sheets placed around in the drawers and one in each organ console. I use to have a major problem with mice in my pipe organ warehouse and the poisons were of little help. Someone told me about these sheets and that they could get over six months protections out each one. It sounded like a joke but turned out to work perfect for me! For $1 you can run these rascals away. No more problems with mice nesting up in pianos and organs.. Try it!

Comment

Any suggestion for a brand name or a description for what chemical componds they should contain? I have a couple of organs in the garage that will probably need help for the rodents.
                          -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
                          -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
                          -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
                          -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
                          -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

I buy any of the cheap brands and found that they all work. I would also like to know why this works. All I can say is, it does.

Comment

Thanks, PObuilder. I've tried carbolic acid in the tab chamber, no luck, 6 yellow wires eaten, a huge pile of seed fluff for baby mice, and a snakeskin left in there. Last year I tried moth balls on the coil deck of the tonewheel generator, I haven't noticed any eaten wire but i did catch a rat snake in the trap I left out to the side. I stuffed tin can parts in all the holes of the tab rack. Last September the rat snake had been replaced by a rattlesnake (two rattles) crawling determinedly towards the organ in the trailer, a spray of Raid in the eyes only slowed him down, didn't stop him. I see some Fabreeze in my future - I sure don't need it on my clothes, my skin is so oily.

Comment

Working...
                              X