This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two hours of pure joy!!

Thanks to my good friend, UK theatre organist Michael Wooldridge, I was able to spend two hours playing the largest Wurlitzer theatre organ in Europe, the 4 manual, 32 rank installation at the East Sussex National Golf Club, just half an hour's drive from me. After a tour of the pipe chambers, which are so clean and tidy you could eat your dinner off the woodwork, it was up with the beautiful 4 manual console and I had two hours of fun.

It was the first time I've played theatre pipe organ in 20 years, so I was interested to see if I could still do the things I did back then. I didn't need to worry, as I was at home within minutes. The organ is superbly specified and voiced, with all the Wurlitzer sounds that I love so much. A smooth Tuba Horn, brighter Tuba Mirabilis, a fiery English Horn, two ranks of Tibias and Voxes (one in each chamber) and no less than eight ranks of strings, for starters. I tried out the general and divisional pistons, but much of the time I was hand registering everything.

The organ's response is lightning fast, so playing at speed and keeping in time is not a problem. I even got round to playing some Bossa Novas and Beguines, as well as ballads, 'curtain raisers' and even big band! The only things I didn't try were the old novelty numbers (never a great thing with me anyway), marches and classical transcriptions, maybe next time!

A great way to spend part of Sunday evening!
    Attached Files
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Oh BOY!!!
    That's a toy with EVERYTHING on it!
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

I share your excitement, Andy. There's nothing comparable to playing a theatre pipe organ, even one one third of the size of the beauty you played.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

With so many organs being abandoned/falling into disrepair, it's great to see one that is maintained so well.

PS: Next time, a video, please.
        -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
        Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
        Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Congratulations. thanks to Mr Wooldridge.
          It couldn't happen to a better guy. I'd be overwhelmed with that many resources to choose from.
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

I feel small.....
            "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Looks like a ton of fun (literally). I must say, I'm pretty jelly right now.

Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
              (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Wow.

Thanks for sharing this experience! And next time, yes, please, please let us have a video

Comment

Congrats, Andy!

What a wonderful time and privilege!

I've never had the joy of playing a real Theater Organ..
                  I would probably 'have an accident' if I did LOL !
                  It would be a blast!!

Your choices of song styles reflects mine also!

marc
                  Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
                  Thomas Floridian Classic -- aka Wersi Rondo Classic
                  Kimball K800 'Fascination' Theater Organ
                  Conn 650 - Type 1 with Conn Pipes - Model #145
                  Baldwin Cinema 2 (214-DR)
                  Wersi Spectra DX 700 CD - LiveStyle, Memory Tower
                  Wersi Beta DX400 TS - (with AMS)
                  Wersi Delta DX 500 - (with AMS)
                  Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!
                  MOOG Eterwave Standard Theremin & MOOG Werkstatt
                  Roland GAIA SH-01 Virtual Analog Synthesizer
                  Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano!

Comment

Well, it looks like I may be making a return to concerts, on theatre pipe organ! I didn't intend to play an 'audition', I just went up to have some fun, but it seems that a couple of dates are now being scheduled for this Wurli and another fabulous 3/19 rank one not too far away.

Arrangements already being worked on on the Roland, and I'll be hooking it up to the two Wurlitzers I have for Hauptwerk, and maybe the 3-deck Miditzer.

Video is no problem, that gear is permanently installed for use with a giant screen above the organ - audiences do like to see what the players' hands and feet are up to - and I can get good 'live sound' digital audio just using my Boss digital audio recorder. I'll ask permission, of course!
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

That's great news Andy!

I would sure like to hear/see you play!

marc
                      Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
                      Thomas Floridian Classic -- aka Wersi Rondo Classic
                      Kimball K800 'Fascination' Theater Organ
                      Conn 650 - Type 1 with Conn Pipes - Model #145
                      Baldwin Cinema 2 (214-DR)
                      Wersi Spectra DX 700 CD - LiveStyle, Memory Tower
                      Wersi Beta DX400 TS - (with AMS)
                      Wersi Delta DX 500 - (with AMS)
                      Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!
                      MOOG Eterwave Standard Theremin & MOOG Werkstatt
                      Roland GAIA SH-01 Virtual Analog Synthesizer
                      Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano!

Comment

Wow! That console is beautiful. Love those waterfall consoles. I see from the history, the console was part of a Style 260 installed in Denver, later to Organ Stop Pizza. Yes, you need to record this organ.
                        Last edited by W4KSR; 07-15-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Wow! That's a beautiful organ!! Congratulations on having the honor of playing such a magnificent organ!
                          Denise

You are never too young or old to enjoy playing the organ!

There's no right or wrong way, it's however YOU want to play!

Current Organs:
                          Technics SX-GA3
                          Technics SX-EA1
                          Magnus chord organ, model unknown
                          Lowrey TG-1 Magic Teenie Genie (recently given by a friend)

Past Organs:
                          Lowrey TG-1 Magic Teenie Genie
                          Magnus 8200 chord organ

Organ Lessons on Yamaha Electone HS6 in 1998-99

Comment

Working...
                          X