This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for a change of pace, Tony Bennett song banned from the radio

It was in the 60s, the song was Georgia Rose, I have the sheet music if anyone is interested, in what the words are.

Re: Just for a change of pace, Tony Bennett song banned from the radio

OK, so out of idle curiosity, what were the 'offensive' lyrics?

Ron Mosman

Comment

This is part of the song

Now some folks don`t think it`s right, Cause your skin`s dark as night
      You know you`ve a herat lil-y white
      Don`t be blue cause you`re black Georgia Rose

copyright 1921

Comment

Right! Racism alive and well! Will things ever change?

Ron Mosman

Comment

Right I wonder if they would play it today?

Comment

Maybe. Probably depends still on where you are! But we hear much more controversial things than those lyrics these days, so why would anyone object. It reminds me that "Body and Soul" was likewise banned, until the lyrics were modified. There are probably loads of songs that have been "unacceptable" to some people over the years.

Ron Mosman

Comment

The song is telling her don`t worry what other people think, antoher line is
              To the good Lord up a - bove we all look just the same. There is definitly worse today.
              I played with a group in the 70s that was very close friends with Tony, I got to meet him in Las Vegas and he is not a racist, I think that with all going on in the 60s he thought it might be a positive thing, or just did it because it is a nice song, it is a very pretty ballad.

Comment

For sure, Tony was never a racist. Very kind and gracious man. Perhaps he was gently trying to get attitudes to change, but it didn't work! I have never heard it.

Ron Mosman

Comment

That`s what I think Ron, he is a very nice man, as I said before the group I played with was very close with him, he invited us to see his show at the Hilton in Vegas, came to see our show, spent a lot of time with us, and yes the song is very nice, I guess just the wrong time. I did have the 45, but no more, I do have the sheet music.

Comment

Seems to me that the song was banned not because it was racist but because racists would be offended by the song. After all, the lyric is about a white man professing his love for a black women.

Comment

John that could be, never thought of it that way

Comment

Dire Straights Money for Nothing was just banned in Canada due to one line taken out of context as the opinion of the Character (caricature) in the song was contemptuous of rock musicians. (you figure out the line)> for crying out loud it was out in the 80's and there are awful movies still played that should be used as measures of how far we have come.
                        1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

"just banned" as in recently? Give me a break-the whole point of the song was actually to criticize the guy who said that line.
                          Reminds me of how Glenn Beck has recently criticized Springsteen's "Born in the USA" (also '80's vintage) as being "unpatriotic" whereas Springsteen's intent was to publicize how badly Vietnam vets were treated when they returned home from the war. Springsteen has donated and raised tons of money for US Vets. How can you get more Patriotic than that?! Funny how people don't really listen too well. Ronald Reagan also did not get it and tried to use it as a pro-America campaign song until Springsteen objected.
                          http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
                          1959 Hammond M3
                          1961 Hammond A101
                          VB3 with M Audio Axiom
                          1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
                          1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
                          2011 Neo Ventilator
                          Casio WK-7500
                          Yamaha P50m Module
                          Roland VR-09
                          Casio PX-5S

Comment

Originally posted by jdoc View Post
                            Dire Straights Money for Nothing was just banned in Canada due to one line taken out of context as the opinion of the Character (caricature) in the song was contemptuous of rock musicians.
                            This song has definitely NOT been banned in Canada!

It is only a NO NO for radio stations who are voluntary members of the "Canadian Broadcast Standards Council", a politically driven gay-rights group such as Egale, who are so desperate to promote their own agenda, that they don't hesitate for a moment to trample upon the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms with unabridged contempt and disdain, i.e.:

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
                            (a) freedom of conscience and religion;
                            (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
                            2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

still ridiculous 30 years later, I can't believe they have that much power as Canada has always been pretty liberal with censorship. Voluntary censorship is an oxymoron. I can see why "Forget You" has had a name change although the original is much better (and funny). I will read up on this more.
                              1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Working...
                              X