X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URGENT! Funeral Music Needed

Dear Forum Members,

I have been asked to play my first Funeral. The family has requested some music that I don't know, and that we (at the Church) don't have (not in the Episcopal Hymnals). Can anyone point me to good versions of the following hymns, preferably arranged for organ, with verses, so that I can follow along.

Here are the hymns I need:

Old Rugged Cross
    I'll Fly Away
    How Great Thou Art

Many thanks ahead of time.

Best,

AC
    “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
    “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
    Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
    (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

These are public domain:

The Old Rugged Cross - printable PDF - http://www.hymnary.org/tune/old_rugged_cross_bennard

How Great Thou Art - melody here but the words are different - http://www.hymnary.org/tune/o_store_gud

- - - Updated - - -

At the bottom of this page is a list of the hymnals that "I'll Fly Away" appear in. It's not public domain.

http://www.hymnary.org/tune/ill_fly_away_brumley
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

If you can find a "Breaking Bread" or a hynmal from OCP - Oregon Catholic Press - some of these should be in there.

Sometimes at our church we have to regretfully say to the person planning the funeral (or wedding) - "I am so very sorry, but we do not have the music for that. If you can provide me with a copy harmonized in 4 parts for keyboard, I should be able to play it for you."

I will refrain from any discussion regarding when happens when they want something that is blantantly non-liturgical. SIGH!

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post
        Here are the hymns I need:

I'll Fly Away
        Look for a Stamps Baxter hymnbook (probably spiral bound), and you will probably find it in there. Hope that helps. Find a Baptist church and ask them--they'll probably have a copy somewhere. If I remember right, it's in the Stamps/Baxter Country & Western Hymnal, Volume 1, which has a predominantly blue cover. They're about the size of an iPad, but they've been re-published in various sizes--just saw them today, in fact.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

http://www.music-for-music-teachers....th-harmony.png (Save it as a .png file - open in Paint & print)
          How Great Thou Art is also in the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal, no. 856

Comment

The UMC Hymnal has "The Old Rugged Cross" and "How Great Thou Art"--I think you'll have to find an old Baptist or Pentecostal Hymnal for "I'll Fly Away".

David

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got the music. It seems that I will need to invest in some additional hymnals. I foresee this situation arising again in the future.
              “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
              “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
              Johann Sebastian Bach

Comment

Many thanks to those that assisted me with this. The funeral happened this weekend, and I think everything came out alright. No major disasters, only a few missed notes, and I mostly felt that I played competently, which means it probably sounded fine, since I am very picky.

Again, thanks all for your help. This forum is quite a wonder to behold.
                Johann Sebastian Bach

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post
                  Many thanks to those that assisted me with this. The funeral happened this weekend, and I think everything came out alright. No major disasters, only a few missed notes, and I mostly felt that I played competently, which means it probably sounded fine, since I am very picky.
                  Arthur,

Glad the funeral turned out so well. It is unusual to have 10 days advance notice that you're going to play for a funeral. I guess I assumed the funeral would be in the typical 3-4 days. Had I known you had more time, I could have provided a copy of some of the music to you. Recently, I had a concert where we had set up an antique hymnal display (only going back to the 1850s), and on from there. Much of those old hymnals are in public domain and can be copied. Maybe next time.

Glad it worked out so well for you.

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                    Arthur,

Glad the funeral turned out so well. It is unusual to have 10 days advance notice that you're going to play for a funeral. I guess I assumed the funeral would be in the typical 3-4 days. Had I known you had more time, I could have provided a copy of some of the music to you. Recently, I had a concert where we had set up an antique hymnal display (only going back to the 1850s), and on from there. Much of those old hymnals are in public domain and can be copied. Maybe next time.

Glad it worked out so well for you.

Michael
                    I was wondering about the comment "..... the funeral turned out so well...." Are funerals ever turning out well??? It is normally a sad affair. (Michael, just kidding. We understand what you mean and I am sure Arthur appreciates your comments of encouragement. Just could not resist my humorous nature there...).

In my experience funerals have a habit of bringing out some of the best pieces of music being played. While always a sad and sometimes morbid moment, the beautiful music fills a very wide gap that may otherwise perhaps be uncomfortable. So from a relatively ignorant and non-playing organ lover, thanks to you dedicated and skilled players who so readily stand in to fill the gaps of loss caused by the death of a dear one with soothing tunes of pieces written perhaps many centuries ago. It is guys like you who keep them alive and evergreen - don't ever stop this wonderful work!

Nico
                    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Working...
                    X