X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones for Organ Music

Hello all,

I have decided that I should consider acquiring a good set of headphones. In particular, of course, for listening to organ music.

It would be apparent that the frequency response would need to cover from 16Hz - 25,000kHz. I imagine that the ideal product would contain multiple drivers for each ear so as to handle the wide frequency range effectively and allow both bass and treble to come through strongly and clearly. Cordless would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

What do you suggest?

Having tried many varieties from different manufacturers we finally found one that seems to be made for organ, many are great for orchestral or solo instrument works but none were better than the Audio Technica model ATH M40fs studio phones.
    Another nice thing them is the 50 to 60 USD price.

Comment

Sidestepping a recommendation for some other info:

What is your budget?

Do you prefer over the ear, on the ear, or in the ear? The in the ear style (ear buds) will probably provide the widest frequency range for the cost because they have to move very little air. However, I don't find them comfortable.

Comment

I recently bought a pair of the Sony brand for about $20 at a big box store, and they actually sound really good with organ (listening to CDs and youtube videos). They are of the semi-open type, over the ear. Quite comfortable. I think the box stated the frequency response was something outrageous like 10 Hz to 25KHz, but obviously not qualified by any measure of flatness over that range. But I do hear the 32' pedal range quite clearly, and "feel" the notes that are below audibility.

I also have a huge old pair of phones that I've had for probably 30 years, made by Koss, I believe, for RadioShack back in the day. When I got them, they were supposed to be high-end audiophile, and they do indeed still sound quite nice. They are of the sealing variety, so they nearly obscure all room sounds. Good sound, but rather heavy and cumbersome.

I think the semi-open is preferable for most listening, as they are so lightweight and they don't keep one from hearing necessary sounds in the environment (like wife calling you from the next room). But if you need to seal out external noises completely, there are phones that do that.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I tried a few brands in the $100 price range before I chose Sennheiser HD280, http://en-us.sennheiser.com/professi...ing-hd-280-pro
          The body construction is solid and the cord is thicker. The frequency response is as close to flat as I could find in that price range. If you want 16hz to 25K hz just buy some Behringers with that spec. For $20 they emit a ton of bass but everything else is wacky. I've operated a studio for years and have quite a collection of headphones. Especially broken ones. Avoid Koss. Iffy quality.
          C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Comment

Grado SR60 or SR80 for me. Very flat response with none of the bass boominess that I've experienced with other makes. They don't take well to extreme volume, but there again, that's not good for your ears anyway.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
              I recently bought a pair of the Sony brand for about $20 at a big box store
              Click image for larger version

Name:	26-159-333-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	597725

I bought the same ones in white. The are great value for the small price tag. After getting these, I highly doubt it is worth it to spend 4-5x unless you are a professional studio musician or a turntablist (in which case you have other factors to consider). For just listening, organ music sounds great through these.

Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
              (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Yep, Arthur, those the same as mine, though I got the black ones. I'm listening to organ music through them even as I type, and they sound great. I also wonder what would be the advantage of spending several times as much money. What I am hearing is very pleasant and accurate. Certainly far better than what you hear with typical computer speakers, and possibly better than my very nice audiophile tower speakers in the living room.

To their credit, my old Koss-made Radio Shack headphones were purchased in the 1970's (paid about $40 back then, which was a LOT of money then) and they still sound wonderful and look great. The supple material from which the large ear pads were made is still soft and pliable and cushions my head nicely. But they are heavy and they block nearly all other sound in the room, so I don't use them very often. I think these little Sony phones are pretty darn good.
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

WurliTzer 131 for me. Organ sounds organ no matter played or listened to.

Comment

Working...
                  X