This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting the bass without a Leslie

In my estimation based on what I have experienced on this Forum there are experts in music, technical and electronics, engineers, advisors, humorists, sour pusses and just about any discipline or subject thinkable. All available for brain-picking on this one Forum (except for the sour pusses)! And then there are those like myself who do not seem to fit in anywhere in the mentioned or unmentioned categories. However, here I am, brain-picking all the way...

OK, this opening line may be confusing given the heading of the thread but I do have a question the answer to which I have not been able to spot on this Forum: How can I put to good use a 150W bass amp I had built for by bass guitar standing around looking for work. I was thinking of using it for the Virtual organ system but it is analog so may not work too satisfactorily, and I have other options for that application. I cannot afford a Leslie, even if I could find one in this neck of the woods... Now I am wondering how I can connect it to the Hammond or other organ for a little extra bass? Will it perhaps cause strain on the organ components or can I couple it via an external/headphone jack or something? This is a typical live amp capable of controlling its own volume levels etc. Alternatively can I just attach additional speakers to the organ speakers for that little extra ooomphhh or will it kill the output section components of the amp?

You can have a quiet giggle but don't let it show... Ignorance is not bliss....
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Hi Nico you ole sourpuss (:, Seems like your organs are line level friendly. If we are talking about your E100 you could y jack the white plug preamp signal at the AO63. If your bass amp is not able to accept line level because it has a preamp for guitar, it will still work but be noisy. Can you bypass the bass amp preamp?
    C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggybush View Post
      Hi Nico you ole sourpuss (:, Seems like your organs are line level friendly. If we are talking about your E100 you could y jack the white plug preamp signal at the AO63. If your bass amp is not able to accept line level because it has a preamp for guitar, it will still work but be noisy. Can you bypass the bass amp preamp?
      Hi Keith - Sour puss responding.... I am talking Hammond E-100 which was retro-fitted with an external lead and male jack but I am not sure if it works. The amp has an extra input which bypasses the pre amp so I am thinking the earphone output to that one might give me what I want. However, I am not talking only E-100 as there are some of the others that could also benefit by some bass boom. It is really just a matter of wanting more - not needing more... That old E-100 has plenty of volume and bass.

Take care
      Nico
      "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Wire in a line output with a second-order low-pass filter centered at 120Hz.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/.../filter_2.html

Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
          Wire in a line output with a second-order low-pass filter centered at 120Hz.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/.../filter_2.html

Wes
          Thank you Wes. Some more reading to boggle my braincell...

Here are some pics of the front and back of my bass amp. The other is my somewhat dusty pedal steel in E-9th, Three on the floor and four knee levers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_073627.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	597745Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_073722.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	597746Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_073821.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	597747

Nico

Comment

Pics, I like pics. Cool steel guitar! Nico, that bass amp looks to powerful for you. (:
            C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggybush View Post
              Pics, I like pics. Cool steel guitar! Nico, that bass amp looks to powerful for you. (:
              Yo Keith! That amp is actually for my bass guitar but works well on the steel too. One can never have too much amp, eh? what? I think that amp will sound just great attached to a Hammond or Lowrey. I used another power amp (about 80 Watts) to try the Yamaha D3 which has a sick main speaker - no sound. Just used the headphone jack and the amp works just fine, but there is a godawful hum - likely a poor connection.
              Thanks - that steel provides much pleasure too. I rebuilt it several times from a student model to professional level.

Take care.
              Nico

Comment

Working...
              X