Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silken Path
    commented on 's reply
    Actually I think the organ belonged to the Germans or Swedes. The Russians were busy mending their nets and the Mongols wanted them to join the Horde.

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    How odd! Our Symphony conductor is conducting in a couple of the videos. I now remember receiving the link a couple of months ago because of the organ, and he wanted to share it with me.

Small world! Thanks for sharing, Admin.

Michael

• Victor Jules
    replied
    OMG, it's great! (Admin and everybody!) Have watched the 1st 2 videos and am launching into the 3rd -- amazing stuff including his wonderful passion for the Wurli. (He says he doesn't play -- could have fooled me?)
    I'm a movie addict and I love anything about MAKING movies. He's saved and lavishly restored a theater organ, I guess we can forgive him for gutting a pump organ THANKS, Admin.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    The organ is in film composer Nathan Barr's Bandrika studio in Tarzana, California. The Wurlitzer theatre organ is from the famed Alfred Neumann sound scoring stage at Fox. Before it's removal in 1998, it was used in many film scores, most notably by Bernard Herrman in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and scores he did for Hitchcock. More information here:
    http://nathanbarr.com/studio/

• myorgan
    replied
    I also just re-watched the '90s remake of Casper. The organ was never played, but was shown. It is an impractical design because the design not only curved the console (á-là theatre organ), but also the keyboards. I would like to have seen a close-up of that organ but it was never shown.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• Victor Jules
    commented on 's reply
    That'll be the day! You're calling to mind the Wayne Newton episode of Bonanza -- he plays a pump organ in a chapel without moving his legs, and it sounds like..... a wavery electronic, of course! OMG, here it is -- about 47:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzF7RwvEtc

Had thought this episode was about the femininity of his voice -- apparently not so. But I haven't seen it in 53 years. Funny comment: "What’s KD Lang doing in this episode?😂"

• Victor Jules
    commented on 's reply
    Covered in post #15 of this thread. Feel free to comment further. I had no idea there was ever a remake -- it does sound like trash via wicked pedia.

• Victor Jules
    commented on 's reply
    What do you know -- must have been inspired by an old painting. Russia was undoubtedly organ-free 750 years ago

• Victor Jules
    commented on 's reply
    Haha, fun! Thanks! The playing is so real -- the animated fingers hitting the real keys on realistic keyboards. Must be a variant of the tech where an animated creature articulates one's own words as with youtuber The Truth Factory. If only 'Thing' were real I'd like to congratulate it for rejecting the T&F in Dm.

I may just have to darken a theater door and see this movie, something I almost never do. I don't suppose anybody here can identify the organ(s) used in the music track? Mebbe made-up fantasy sounds.

• Admin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    And again today, I was watching the classic musical Annie, and there is (presumably) a pipe organ in the balcony when she enters Daddy Warbucks' house.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• Victor Jules
    replied
    I've just watched the The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) -- have succumbed to the ubiquitous Youtube ads for Vudu movie streaming service, and am extremely glad I did. This wonderful old movie's score is studded with ominous chords played on electronic-sounding organs, but somewhere in its second half are some that sound quite authentically pipe.

The theremin is extensively used in this film, of course, and what do you know -- the Hammond Novachord
    https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...achord-on-ebay

Leave a comment:

• Victor Jules
    replied
    Thanks so much! I'll tell them -- they'll prolly tell me "oh, it's been used in tons of movies"

Leave a comment:

• Vebo
    replied
    Originally posted by Victor Jules View Post
    Here's a thread for reporting the fleeting glimpse (no matter how fleeting!) of an organ in a movie, TV show, periodical or whatever that sends chills up your spine -- but mostly movies. Or for asking what organ or make it was, mebbe what was being played on it -- the works! All organs, every kind that has a keyboard. I report reed organ apparitions in the Reed Organ Restoration Yahoo egroup, but y'all can do so here if you like. There's already a thread here for Hammond sightings, so take your pick on that brand.

It's prompted by my random viewing of a 1952 Joan Crawford movie in Youtube -- Sudden Fear. At 32:53 they're showing a somebody play a large console in what looks like an opulent home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3eVm8gfroQ

Actual organ location of the era or cinematic mock-up?
    That's the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco, and it's a real organ still in use today!

https://legionofhonor.famsf.org/educ...organ-concerts

-V

Leave a comment:

• Silken Path
    replied
    Nice info, Johnbeetem. This wasn't easy to find. Thank you. Here's a shot from Alexander Nevsky (1938).
    Screen shot from Alexander Nevsky 1938

Leave a comment:

Working...
X