Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer Bees, 1974
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRp19zZHVu8

Starting from 54:40 they briefly show a woman playing Abide With Me, and it actually sounds like a reed organ for once.

>Gasp< could she actually be PLAYING IT LIVE? Hollywood heresy!

Comment

Charlie Chaplin's Sunnyside (1919) has a hilarious scene with a reed organ. It's an audio joke, which is a pretty neat trick in a "silent" movie. Great opportunity for a live organist to have some harmless fun.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbeetem View Post
        Charlie Chaplin's Sunnyside
        Aha, the scene starting exactly halfway through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNoiBK5nOfI

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          "The Lost Chord?" ROFL!!!

Michael

Here's a VERY brief image of a reed organ (I think) in Warlock (II) Armageddon 1993.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug_on_Organ.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	650562
        Attached Files
        -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
        -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
        -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

I wonder what model this is? Found in a Boston video, looks to have a facade built around the console. Also appears to be an internal speaker console. Good playing though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_mR7fwiEc

Click image for larger version  Name:	TS Organ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	656541

Click image for larger version  Name:	TS Organ 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	656542

Name:	TS Organ 3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	656543
          Last edited by Nutball; 05-12-2019, 08:13 PM.
          Allen 530A

Comment

Originally posted by Nutball View Post
            I wonder what model this is? Found in a Boston video, looks to have a facade built around the console. Also appears to be an internal speaker console. Good playing though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_mR7fwiEc
            Now THAT is a mind-blower. It does look like somebody took a Baldwin or Conn or something (sounds very electronic) and built a Wurlitzer-style shell around it. Surely the pipes are just for show since the each set appears totally symmetrical. But even if that's the case, incredible to think they'd shlep it around on tour or for this one gig.

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Victor,

Organ pipes can be made "totally symmetrical." If they're open pipes, they are often slotted in the back to account for the necessary length. While the pipes look symmetrical, they do, indeed, produce different pitches.

Agree, though, about moving a pipe organ around on tour. So far in my lifetime, I've only heard of 2 actual pipe organs moved around for performances.

Michael

No doubt true, Michael -- but I've never actually seen speaking pipes at mirror-image heights.

Which two traveling organs are you thinking of -- W.T. Best's and Rick Wakeman's? There are portatives making the rounds (is the 'Cooper organ' still one of them?), but we're obviously talking about larger instruments here. Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Jules View Post

Now THAT is a mind-blower. It does look like somebody took a Baldwin or Conn or something (sounds very electronic) and built a Wurlitzer-style shell around it. Surely the pipes are just for show since the each set appears totally symmetrical. But even if that's the case, incredible to think they'd shlep it around on tour or for this one gig.
            Absolutely the pipes are for show and are probably made of spraypainted cardboard and could be easily transported around the country in a semi-tractor trailer.

Comment

They prolly flattened and stacked 'em each night

Comment

I wonder if they have carboard drums too

Name:	drum-set--1320x660.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	657300
                Allen 530A

Comment

I'm sitting here watching "Blood Legacy", aka. "Legacy of Blood" (1971) and a scene in a living or music room includes what appears to be a Hammond C3 and (I think) a JR-20 or PR-20 tone cabinet. Also a grand piano in the room. No one has played it yet but still an hour to go 8)
                  Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

In this Addams Family documentary Herman Munster is seen sitting sideways at a pump organ for about a second at 30:11:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJ168b5PE8

Comment

I wrote a piece for Organists' Review a few years ago on organs in the movies - I can probably find you a PDF if you're interested.

A couple of other nice, more incidental, cases:

• There's an episode of The Walking Dead where they dismantle an organ in a deserted church, using the pipes to fight off the zombies!

• And the new Elton John movie, Rocketman, features the Royal Academy of Music's new organ (partially funded by and dedicated to Elton) in the background of a scene where the young Elton gets his first piano lesson at the Academy. Completely anachronistic but a sweet touch.

Comment

• Victor Jules
                        Victor Jules commented
                        Editing a comment
                        OMG, what next! Interesting!

Why don't you post your article in Organforum -- I see they allow 'blogs' here, so you could presumably create one, paste in the whole thing and notify us in this thread.

Hi Victor, I can't figure out a way to share it on here - it's too long for a comment or an attachment, and it doesn't look like just anyone can start a blog. But if you give me an email address I'll be happy to send it

Comment

More crumbs on The Abominable Dr. Phibes, of which I'm hardly a fan: he was a concert organist before the loss of his wife. There are at least two other beautiful classical-type pieces heard in the music track -- a baroque type number at 58:53 and 117:15, a lovely 3/4 adagio at 59:46. If anybody can identify these as non-Kirchin I'd be most grateful!

Speaking of which -- didn't somebody else ask for help in identifying a piece in this thread, but got no answers? Know I saw it, can't find it.

Just watched the whole flick for the firstime in YT, where a commenter states "I actually knew the guy who played the organ in the opening. His name was Dr. Robert Moore Strippy and he passed away just the other week and I attended his funeral this past Saturday."
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfsQB_He0g&t=4748s

Wikipedia confirms Dr. Strippy and says "The organ used is the New York Paramount theater organ, now in the Century II Center in Wichita, Kansas".

Comment

Working...
                        X