No announcement yet.

Organs incidentally shown or heard in media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now there's a truly fanciful depiction -- not only of an organ but of the hilarious fake notation popular culture has always featured -- the notable exception being Schroeder's toy piano playing, natch

Comment

Ah, yes the notation is supposed to represent her existential warping of physics through music

Comment

A fabulous concept. Mebbe it's what we're doing in reality!

Comment

I’m surprised this one wasn’t mentioned already- In “Addams Family Values” at the beginning Lurch is playing a two-manual “pipe” organ. It looks like the console might be cobbled up from reed organ parts. A little later during Fester’s outdoor wedding ceremony Lurch plays the wedding march on a single-manual ‘pipe top’ reed organ, which appears to be real.
          Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn9008 View Post
          Just thought of another...There was an old Lowrey (I Think) in the funeral chapel in the US series Six feet under
          There was a wonderful scene where Arthur Martin - the apprentice - plays "Raindrops on Roses" on the chapel organ and Frances Fischer sings along.

In Alex's parents flat/apartment, in A Clockwork Orange, there is a small keyboard: I think it's a Selmer Companion 49, an electric reed organ, from Italy.
          clockwork orange flat scene
          Last edited by steerpike; 12-20-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Good finds, gang -- keep them coming!

Comment

There’s always Gremlins 2

Comment

LOL -- looks like fun stuff! Is it?

Comment

I just finished watching The Eagle Has Landed, and there's a scene where a German/Polish soldier is playing the pipe organ in the church. He's playing Prelude and Fugue in C Major (I think) from 8 Little Preludes and Fugues. With the tempo he plays it, it was hardly recognizable. With the video given, the guy isn't playing, but I guess in old war movies, one needs to suspend disbelief.

Time: 1:08:35 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAgYq_aWD2o)

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Neat! Guess it's being played straight but lickety-split.

Comment

• I've always wondered what is the three manual electronic organ that Paul McCarney plays in the Help! movie. I searched for a picture and found this one (apparently from another movie they made but seems to be the same organ, with those huge lit up sides added):

Comment

• Yes, we've been wondering that here! Have always assumed it was an actual theater organ but am going to take a wild guess they took pretty average 1960s electronic and tricked it up to look like one.

Welcome aboard, by the way -- I see you're new. How's the weather in Laval? What are you playing, and playing it on? Or have you explained that elsewhere here. Bonne année!

Comment

• guylavoie
                          guylavoie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey! Well we just had our first real snowfall 3 days ago (had a green Christmas). I actually don't play standalone organ all that much. I used to have a Hammond L100 and my own home made Leslie (made mostly of actual Leslie parts). I'm first and foremost a church pianist, been doing so since 1972 (yeah...I'm 61, started at age 13). I've played a bit of pipe organ during one summer on a smaller Casavant. That was loads of fun! Currently at church I play a Yamaha digital piano to which I added a Voce V5 organ module, playing into a recently rebuilt version of my home made Leslie. I put a volume pedal on the organ module, which allows me to fade it in and out at will, along with the full time piano. At home I have a grand piano. I've been working one and off on various electronic projects, some of which are music related.

Is there a section here where people introduce themselves? I just sneaked in quietly...

Bonne année too!

• myorgan
                          myorgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by guylavoie
                          Is there a section here where people introduce themselves? I just sneaked in quietly...
                          Guy,

You already posted in the thread about choosing usernames. (https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...-your-username) I'm not sure, but I believe this thread is private to only Organ Forum users. The Blower Room and Grease Pit are definitely private to Organ Forum users. Generally, I don't post anything personally identifiable here anyway. That doesn't mean someone couldn't connect the dots, but . . . .

I'm only about 5 hours from you, and have visited your fair city (Old QC) many times. We had a white Thanksgiving! I certainly hope you get enough snow for Carnivale there also!

Michael

P.S. Isn't it Bonne année aussi?

• Merci, mon vieux! Sounds you know what you like and are having a great time doing it. There should be a page here for introductions and I feel sure I've seen one but can't find a trace if so. Calling Admin -- is there such a page, and if not it's a great idea?

Comment

• guylavoie
                          guylavoie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So tell me a bit about yourself...

• Hi Michael. Yes, it would be "bonne année a toi aussi", I was just trying to be cocky... I'm only starting to figure out what goes where on this forum. Having lots of forums and subforums can make things a bit confusing. I'm new here but have been on forums of all types for many years, even an admin on one. I generally stay away from controversy so being identifiable isn't a problem. Another thing is I don't like doing is hijacking threads, as is happening right now...

I'm in Laval, near Montreal. Quebec city is 3 hours away. But my daughter lives there. Nice place for sure!

Comment

• myorgan
                          myorgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are correct, Guy. For some reason I was thinking of Laval University in Ste. Foy. Oh, well.

Back on topic, I would imagine there are some Canadian or French films which use those grand pipe organs in Cathedrals there?

Michael

• Canadian films aren't all that common enough to include a wide variety of settings, and setting in churches are even rarer. Older films might. I'll keep on the lookout for any sightings.

Comment

Working...
                        X