Organs incidentally shown or heard in media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks,

Oddly enough, I just saw a pump organ on Trebek's tribute on Jeopardy. Merv Griffin's son told how he remembered his father writing the theme to Jeopardy on Marlin Brando's old piano. They then showed the "piano" in one of 2 storage units where the son keeps it stored. The son looks like he's playing the theme on the "piano," but as the camera goes down, the case looks very clearly like a piano-cased pump organ.

I wonder why they've never had an organ-related category on the show?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• afuller5
      afuller5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael,

I remember several years ago "Jeopardy" did have a category about pipe organs. For someone who has played organs and studied about them, all the questions were easy, even for someone like me whose plays mainly home entertainment organs.

Allen

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Allen,

I wonder if they accept viewer submissions for questions? I can think of several, ranging from easy to hard!

Michael

• Of course the Count has a pipe organ!

Comment

• That, afuller5, is fascinating -- almost incredible!. I don't suppose you remember any of the questions -- or shall we say answers? Google and Youtube are no help at all here, and I'm the master searcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor Jules View Post
        That, afuller5, is fascinating -- almost incredible!. I don't suppose you remember any of the questions -- or shall we say answers? Google and Youtube are no help at all here, and I'm the master searcher.
        I do love a challenge ...

Comment

• Victor Jules
          Victor Jules commented
          Editing a comment
          Hot dog, you did it. Boffo!

• Click image for larger version

Name:	bat.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	724535

Batman and Robin on the rotisserie.
        Attached Files
        -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
        -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
        -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• My goodness, what a find. Looks like real elements thrown together, maybe a 3-manual Conn with additions -- a production shot no less! I knew somebody with one of those in his living room years ago.

Comment

• Today on Decades TV (oldies), their first episode of The Big Valley–A Day of Terror featured the Barkley ladies being held hostage in their church. In the choir loft (where half of the action took place), there was a pump organ in the loft with a façade of real pipe organ pipes on either side. It was never played, but it was quite interesting to see.

Last night I watched the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on a DVD I had purchased a while ago. I know it has already been mentioned in this thread, but I found it quite interesting that the organ employed was a 3-manual with pistons under the keyboards, a threatre-style console, and a mish mash of pipes on top of the organ (like an Estey pipe top pump organ). What was even more interesting was the rendition of Bach's Toccata in d minor. It sounded like it was an arrangement utilizing chords instead of Bach's original. I know the organist (Capt. Nemo) wasn't playing, but he didn't even move for the pedal solo.

Michael
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.18.07 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	724708Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.18.00 PM.png
Views:	125
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	724709Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.21.18 PM.png
Views:	125
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	724710
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Larrytow
              Larrytow commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not watched 20,000 leagues in many years, but I do really like it. Pretty fancy submarine, and an organ - in the same movie ! The photo of the keydesk does not suggest "theater-style" console to me though. At least I've never seen a theater organ with drawknobs ?

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Larry,

You're right. I was posting from memory, and didn't correct it. I suppose I could now, but....

Michael

• Two more interesting cases -- literally Guessing A Day Of Terror was shot in a real church and the episode had an actual organ lover behind it.
            Incidentally, I have an edition of the complete Beethoven's 5th symphony arranged for piano solo by one of the great pianists of 100+ years ago -- to which somebody has meticulously added guitar chords throughout

Comment

• There are a few brief appearances of a Hammond B3, no less, in the Grease movie (1978). you can see it on the left of the band stand during the school dance.

Comment

• While You Were Sleeping - 1995 - Bill Pullman and Sandra Bullock - Lovely then and still lovely. Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-04-25-13h43m32s384.png
Views:	89
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	728401

-- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Classic, 1899 Kimball mirrored high top
                -- Rodgers W5000, Roland RD300nx, Juno DS-61/88 - 1975 Conn 643 Theater - 1959 Hammond M3
                -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• So .. I was catching up on some Secret Garden you tube videos, and was watching "Behind the Scenes - Voyage" where they show the instrumentalists playing, etc. I saw what to me was a first at 3:33 on the video! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC40RC3a4Bg

Comment

• RogerM
                    RogerM commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very enjoyable video and what a surprise at 3:33.

• Victor Jules
                    Victor Jules commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Think of that -- and then there's a guy playing a biniou or something!

• In "Big Crime" a 1954 episode of Dragnet Joe Friday and his partner go to a bar to interview a registered sex offender regarding the disappearance of two little girls. The suspect works as an organist in the bar. Friday mentions the Hammond Organ in his narration. The Organ appears to be a C-2 and the suspect keeps playing while answering Friday's questions beginning at 7:44.

Comment

• Victor Jules
                    Victor Jules commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What a find -- the organ serving as a 'character' for almost 3 minutes! 'Hammond organ' = product placement?

Nice to see good old Virginia Christine in the thumbnail too. Too bad about the subject matter, brrrr.

• RogerM
                    RogerM commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, wow! Sgt. Joe Friday was my hero when Dragnet was on TV over here in the 1950s, when I was in my pre-teens. Dragnet and Highway Patrol (with Broderick Crawford as Capt. Dan Matthews) were the programmes to watch but looking back I can't believe how tame they were compared with today's offerings. Well off-topic but I had to say it

• The new Maleficent movie has the pipe organ of death. In addition to the three manuals it has two more side manuals.

Mickey's birthday party (1942) has an organ Minnie plays happy birthday on.
                  Sam
                  Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                  Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

• Mayberry R.F.D Andy and Helen get married
                    Attached Files
                    Thomas 606 Trianon
                    Baldwin 56R
                    Chord organs : Bontempi B-9 , Magnus 391
                    Church : Wurlitzer 630Ta
                    non-working : Wurlitzer Series 45 Electrostatic Reed organ

Comment

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That thing is built like a tank!

Michael

• Hi all,

There was an episode of The Andy Griffith Show (Season 6, episode 14 according to imdb.com) entitled "The Church Organ" about the church replacing the ailing pump organ with a used electric organ.

Later,
                    Allen
                    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Allen,

Yep, I have that one on DVD. I'm not even sure the brand was ever displayed. I wonder what it was? I know it did have lots of Vibrato!

Michael

• Organplayer66
                      Organplayer66 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I actually found the episode online I’ll post a picture of it.
                  Working...
                  X