Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Jules
    replied
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes, 1971 -- he's playing Mendelssohn's March from Athalie on...... parts from a cannibalized Wurlitzer horseshoe console?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfsQB_He0g

Help, 1965 -- what?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx_7xjpySK0

The Sound of Music, 1965 -- a gorgeous case is shown for two seconds and the organ sounded like a million bucks in the theater despite a very tiny accidental grace note
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6T_yVakjA

Getting purely tangential now, in 1966's The Trouble With Angels Hayley Mills sees a convent's organ and says "Dig that crazy accordion!" Fleetingly glimpsed here, it looks like a gorgeous pipe instrument in a castle or mansion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvpCXKqkX0g

Leave a comment:

• afuller5
    replied
    Hi all,

There was an early model Thomas on the first season of the Perry Mason television show. Here is a thread about it on the Forum.

Later,
    Allen

Leave a comment:

• chrisn9008
    replied
    Just thought of another...There was an old Lowrey (I Think) in the funeral chapel in the US series Six feet under

Leave a comment:

• chrisn9008
    replied
    In the film Yanks (early 80's?) Ron Curtis was playing a Compton organ at the Davenport cinema Stockport

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Yes it looks very impressive too. Marilla sure had good taste in an organ. Brand name? Marilla is an unusual name. I am friends with a family I have known for years, and their mother's name was Marilla.

James

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I really enjoyed this movie. It was a Wurlitzer theater electronic model in white trimmed in gold which was a 950 model. Even during one of the practice session it began picking up a radio station.

I had a Hammond that would often pick up someone talking on a portable phone device, and also a lady told me the Hammond at the church where she played began acting up as well as picking up a radio signal from a local church during their worship. My organ was a T200 model, and the one at her church was a H262. Hammond began to lose it with their transistor models after being a sales leader for years.

James

Leave a comment:

• musikfan
    replied
    Just thought of another one:

The 1980's movie "Ann of Green Gables" - when Ann first arrives at the Cuthbert's home, there's a pan of the living room and you can see an old pump organ in the background, I believe.....if it's not in this scene, it's in one not too long after...

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Originally posted by toodles View Post
    Andy Griffith and Lee Meriwether starred in "Angel in My Pocket"--he's a minister moving to a small town and goes to a theatre to look at a pipe organ for possible donation to his church--turns out to be a burlesque. Pretty extended scene of his character playing the organ.

There's also an episode of the Andy Griffith show where their old church organ dies, and they are in search of a replacement.

Johnny Dangerously near the end has scene in a movie theatre where some of the characters take a fall over a theatre organ console.
    The Andy Griffith movie Angle in My Pocket the church was using a very old pump organ that was worn out with a fat lady are dressed up and looking so important trying to play it. Andy said, "that organ sounds like a dying cow."

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    I am thinking of two movies that I saw on TV. Both used one of the Wurlitzer ES reed models throughout the show.

One started out with a middle age man playing on his spinette Wurlitzer with a well known classic, and then throughout the show he was always playing his organ. I think he had been diagnosed with some kind of illness, but not too sure. I only saw this movie once, and I don't remember the name of it.

Another one had the organ playing in the background throughout the whole show, but did not show it all. I could tell it was a Wurlitzer ES reed model, but the organ was never shown. I have no clue or remember what that show was at all.

Would anyone know or be able to assist me in learning about these movies? Are there ways to try and search for them on the web?

Knowing me and my avid interest in these types of organ it is a wonder I even forgot either of them.

There was another movie where the police were chasing a guy or a couple of guys for breaking the law, and they hid in a church among the organ pipes. One of them made the statement, "I ain't gonna kill no nun." I think he said he would surrender to the authorities before he made that statement. It has been sometime back, and I hope someone can help me find the titles to all of these movies.

James

Leave a comment:

• Moller Artiste
    replied
    "A Christmas Without Snow" with Michael Learned. 1980. The church pipe organ is vandalized and an electronic organ is brought in as a substitute. Movie can be seen on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    Andy Griffith and Lee Meriwether starred in "Angel in My Pocket"--he's a minister moving to a small town and goes to a theatre to look at a pipe organ for possible donation to his church--turns out to be a burlesque. Pretty extended scene of his character playing the organ.

There's also an episode of the Andy Griffith show where their old church organ dies, and they are in search of a replacement.

Johnny Dangerously near the end has scene in a movie theatre where some of the characters take a fall over a theatre organ console.

Leave a comment:

• tbeck
    replied
    Hey Victor. I have never seen an episode of the Avengers, even though I know it is a classic. I'll have to look around for reruns.

I skipped around a little in the movie and saw a woman playing an organ. I couldn't see the nameplate on the console. Unfortunately, I didn't have the fortitude to watch the whole thing!

Leave a comment:

• ggolds5
    replied
    "Betsy Ross got it all sowed up, And then there's Maud, and then there's Maud, and then there's a Maud, and then there'sssssss simplifing, tranquilizing, right on MAUD .HMMM." Great sound during the introduction and ending of Maud, the tv show. Great "Hammond B3" sound I think. That's a great 70's tune about a relatively interesting, strong willed, feminist reactionary woman of the 70's. Not my favorite actress but still a great tune with a well played Hammond.

Leave a comment:

• Victor Jules
    replied
    Now you mention it, tbeck, wasn't there an episode of the Avengers in the Diana Rigg period where they were crawling around an organ console in a church hunting the bad guy? I clicked to reply to your post but it sent me to the end of the line.

Then there's the ooky 1962 horror movie Carnival of Souls -- young lady plays an org in the Reuter factory, then goes mental playing one on in a church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUePiQJJCI

I think TV guide used to eve note "filmed partly in Lawrence, Kansas"...... always thought the flick ghoulishly evoked the finale to Vierne's 5th Symphony, and found a pal from music school pal who played the fire out of the piece thought the same thing. We both grew up in greater NYC, prolly watching the same showings of the flick on WPIX or whatever. We we both (ndependently) addicted to 1945's The Picture of Dorian Gray, too -- with it's magical use of Chopin's prelude in D minor :-]

Leave a comment:

• musikfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
    Methinks that the "Orgasmatron" was from the Woody Allen "Sleeper" movie and that the "Barbaraella" contraption was simply named the "sex organ".

SIGH & AAMGDU !!

P.S.: AAMGDU = Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

You read my mind, Menschenstimme. I was thinking the very same thing when I saw "orgasmatron". That was a really goofy movie, but I believe that Woody Allen actually organized and performed a lot of the musical tracks on that movie. Evidently, he was quite a good musician with his clarinet.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    Methinks that the "Orgasmatron" was from the Woody Allen "Sleeper" movie and that the "Barbaraella" contraption was simply named the "sex organ".

SIGH & AAMGDU !!

P.S.: AAMGDU = Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X