Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates

Hi again,
    It has been several months since my last post here. I am getting ready to complete my first semester at University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA. This semester has been quite brutal having just transferred from Community College and have been pretty busy. Back in August, our organist offered me the position of paid supply organist at my church (Trinity Episcopal, Fredericksburg, VA) for when she takes vacations or for sick leave which I accepted. She announced to me, back in late January, that she was going to have knee replacement surgery and I was to fill in for her for about 6 weeks (end of Epiphany into the 5th Sunday of Lent). I was also required to fill in both the 915 and 1100 AM Eucharist each Sunday. It was quite the challenge and thankfully did not have to direct the choir! It really gave me the experience of what it is like to prepare for Sunday during the week, along with juggling with schoolwork. My pedaling technique has improved as a result from this experience. I have been practicing on the same organ for awhile now, but have not gained enough courage to practice on other organs at other local churches yet.

Always good to get those paying gigs when the chance arrives! Keep up the good work.
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson Cordova View Post
      Hi again,
      It has been several months since my last post here. I am getting ready to complete my first semester at University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA. This semester has been quite brutal having just transferred from Community College and have been pretty busy. Back in August, our organist offered me the position of paid supply organist at my church (Trinity Episcopal, Fredericksburg, VA) for when she takes vacations or for sick leave which I accepted. She announced to me, back in late January, that she was going to have knee replacement surgery and I was to fill in for her for about 6 weeks (end of Epiphany into the 5th Sunday of Lent). I was also required to fill in both the 915 and 1100 AM Eucharist each Sunday. It was quite the challenge and thankfully did not have to direct the choir! It really gave me the experience of what it is like to prepare for Sunday during the week, along with juggling with schoolwork. My pedaling technique has improved as a result from this experience. I have been practicing on the same organ for awhile now, but have not gained enough courage to practice on other organs at other local churches yet.
      thats really nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson Cordova View Post
        She announced to me, back in late January, that she was going to have knee replacement surgery and I was to fill in for her for about 6 weeks (end of Epiphany into the 5th Sunday of Lent).
        Hi Grayson,

That is a nice update. That is good that you are getting some decent service playing experience. Getting prepared each week is a part of the job that a lot of non organists don't even consider.

Since you are effectively playing for the majority of Lent, it would be really good experience for you to do Palm Sunday right though Holy Week, and of course Easter. I always consider Easter as my reward for doing Lent. I understand that your regular organist may want to come back in time to do those services, but maybe you could do at least one of your Easter services ? Of all the festival days there is no service I like doing more than Easter.
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Comment

Working...
        X