Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some things that make you cringe about movies that portray your career feild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Really appreciate this answer -- and your answer to its answer!

    - - - Updated - - -

    I consider it pretty defamatory.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      electronics engineer making the electronics for what must have been the last baseband modem put in production--Movie: Wargames (OK, that's a stretch).
      Isn't that more appropriate for a COBOL programmer? Almost all movies about "hackers" are cringeworthy in their depiction of remote computer interfaces. Like all hacking is done on a 80x32 tty screen with fonts readable from accross the street. Zooming 3000% in on a remote ega resolution surveillance camera gives a better than 4k screenshot where you can see if the culprit has not shaved well under his left nostril.

      About music teachers there is the aptly named movie "the music teacher". Haven't seen it and my experience with music teachers is more along the lines of "rainman" so I cannot comment how well it fits.

      For preachers, might "Don Camillo" do well? Rather ancient movies about a rather energetic priest in a small very catholic italian city that has to cope with a very socialistic mayor (who is at the same time at the front row each service).

      Comment


      • #18
        David C --
        meaning no disrespect (especially since I did several semesters of programming coursework including 2 semesters of COBOL) I wouldn't guess that there is much demand, except for program maintenance, for COBOL coders these days. When I was doing the COBOL courses, we were exposed to what we called "sphagetti code" that jumped around pages like crazy.

        Rick in VA

        Comment


        • #19
          As a church musician I absolutely LOVED "Sister Act" with Whoopi Goldberg in the role of a reluctant but surprisingly effective choir director! Of course I could also cringe about that one, if for no other reason than that it makes the job look so easy and simple!

          Having been a pastor for part of my adult life, I also cringe at some of the stereotypical portrayals of clergy in the movies. Not so much at the ones that expose and lampoon the awful impostors who have so often fleeced the flock ("healers" and other hucksters, hypocrite evangelists with secret sins, silly TV preachers who live in luxury while scamming little old ladies). I think people like that need to be exposed, if not put in prison.

          But the stereotyping of the local pastor as something of a well-meaning but simple-minded boob (as the preacher on the TV series "Young Sheldon") is a tad offensive to the vast majority of folks who are working hard in their parishes to minister to their folks under sometimes difficult circumstances. Though I suppose one could make the case that even Sheldon's preacher partly deserves the comeuppances he gets from the little tyke.

          Better media portrayals of clergy include Father Brown (I'd love to have him for my pastor!). Dawn French as "The Vicar of Dibley" was of course a bit raunchy and over-the-top in some ways, but on the whole she was a positive and encouraging portrayal of a pastor. Reverend Matthew on "The Waltons" was a positive character portrayed as a good guy. There are surely many others that don't come to mind right now.

          Don't know that I've seen a media portrayal of an organ technician, but if there were to be one it might be spot-on if it portrayed him as a geeky nerd who spends too much time worrying about bias voltages in transistor circuits.
          John
          ----------
          Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
          Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
          Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
          Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

          Comment


          • #20
            Just by reading everything on this thread you think that Hollywood would actually consult people about career their trying to portray. computer programing scenes need an up grade hello, the mouse was invented is it enough to ask the actor to at least wiggle the mouse while they are "Working" on the computer, i get it that you can get around the computer just by keystrokes but um this is not the 70s computers have mice to point and click with.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Ben Madison View Post
              Just by reading everything on this thread you think that Hollywood would actually consult people about career their trying to portray. computer programing scenes need an up grade hello, the mouse was invented is it enough to ask the actor to at least wiggle the mouse while they are "Working" on the computer, i get it that you can get around the computer just by keystrokes but um this is not the 70s computers have mice to point and click with.
              Hollywood's stereotypical computer geeks, and some that I know , would not be caught dead using a mouse. Too slow. When you're hacking into bank or nuclear missile command, you're going to be doing it from a command line interface, not Microsoft Excel.

              But the fact of the matter is, if you're into the fantasy world depicted in movies, there are far greater issues of credulity than portrayal of computer use in an accurate manner.

              My current complaint is with those car scenes where the driver is carrying on a long conversation while looking at the passenger the entire time rather than road.
              -Admin

              Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Admin View Post
                Hollywood's stereotypical computer geeks, and some that I know , would not be caught dead using a mouse. Too slow. When you're hacking into bank or nuclear missile command, you're going to be doing it from a command line interface, not Microsoft Excel.

                But the fact of the matter is, if you're into the fantasy world depicted in movies, there are far greater issues of credulity than portrayal of computer use in an accurate manner.

                My current complaint is with those car scenes where the driver is carrying on a long conversation while looking at the passenger the entire time rather than road.
                I notice they move the steering wheel with such vigor when they are clearly moving in a straight line, it comes across like they are swerving from side to side if you are a good driver you would only need to make fine adjustments on the wheel.

                But i have noticed when an actor clearly fakes playing the keyboard you can see it via their arm movements.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Ben Madison View Post
                  I notice they move the steering wheel with such vigor when they are clearly moving in a straight line, it comes across like they are swerving from side to side if you are a good driver you would only need to make fine adjustments on the wheel.
                  What type of car do you drive? Don't you need to avoid the pot holes in the road?!!!

                  Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Need a mouse? You should see me in my day to day tasks using a dumb terminal. I can type faster than most people can point and click.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ben Madison View Post
                      I notice they move the steering wheel with such vigor when they are clearly moving in a straight line, it comes across like they are swerving from side to side
                      ... goes with the squealing tyres on the wet road. (Roads are always wet in night scenes. Directors love to see reflected lights.)
                      -------

                      Hammond M-102 #21000.
                      Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
                      Hammond S-6 #72421

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                        Need a mouse? You should see me in my day to day tasks using a dumb terminal. I can type faster than most people can point and click.
                        Yep, most serious computer users use less of a mouse. Some alt-tabbing, a few ctrl-somethings, an Fnumber and you leave mouse users in the dust. Ok not so much when doing graphical design or pcb layout but for typical office software: no contest.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I guess farmers are still generally portrayed as not-so-intelligent hicks which tends to make me cringe. There are still a few of them around, but these days you'll tend to find farmers need to be pretty smart to survive and compete in cut-throat world commodity markets. Most of us use pretty sophisticated (and expensive) systems and machines these days. My main tractor is nearly completely computer controlled with programmable functions and GPS auto-steering.

                          The best movie portrayed farmer was Cooper in "Interstellar" (played by Matthew McConaughey). Even though the film is set maybe 50 years in the future, the likes of his homemade automated robot harvesters are probably not that far in the future. Most American and European agricultural machinery companies have prototype robot tractors out in the field now.

                          And yes, using a keyboard on the command line is the quickest way to get things done on a computer. But as I get older and more forgetful the mouse gets used mostly.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Powerin View Post
                            I guess farmers are still generally portrayed as not-so-intelligent hicks which tends to make me cringe. There are still a few of them around, but these days you'll tend to find farmers need to be pretty smart to survive and compete in cut-throat world commodity markets. Most of us use pretty sophisticated (and expensive) systems and machines these days. My main tractor is nearly completely computer controlled with programmable functions and GPS auto-steering.

                            The best movie portrayed farmer was Cooper in "Interstellar" (played by Matthew McConaughey). Even though the film is set maybe 50 years in the future, the likes of his homemade automated robot harvesters are probably not that far in the future. Most American and European agricultural machinery companies have prototype robot tractors out in the field now.

                            And yes, using a keyboard on the command line is the quickest way to get things done on a computer. But as I get older and more forgetful the mouse gets used mostly.
                            Ok i do not want to deride you for this but explain why would you want a computerized tractor, when i was growing up on a small farm we had a small old ford tractor that did the work, for me i would prefer a work horse that has the bare bones and can get the stuff done.

                            - - - Updated - - -

                            I have to say, Marching Band does not get a serious send up of the sport in Hollywood. I do not think that marching band will get out of the comedy genera. Its frustrating to find a decent movie on marching band.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              "Drumline"! This film was pretty good, but I was mostly amazed at the little 30-second version of "The Saints", using an arrangement that I played for years in the Army Bands. This movie explores (I'm serious!) the competing philosophies of "learning by note" or "learning by rote", i.e., do you have to read music to be an excellent, award-winning musician?
                              Allen, circa 2006

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X