X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Organs

AndyG,</P>

I thought you might be able to assist me in finding out what organs were made in the Bristish Isles. Also, I need help on the name of a movie I saw a few years back. This movie was about some young girl whose mother, maybe stepmother had an upright piano in their home. However, the movie starts out where this young girl joins some very small religious group of other young ladies, maybe a cult, and some of the ladies played awful sounding horns, and/or reed instruments. The young lady wants to play one of the horns, but she was denied because the gal that owned it didn't want to share it playing for thereligious meeting. (Gosh, this is so familiar from what I remember about a few "church" ladies, and their "ownership" of the church organ.)</P>

I am remembering the best I can. Later, this young lady meets another girl and they become "lovers" which causes all kinds of problems in her life especailly at her home place where she met with total rejection. Since she was a lesbian, the movie has a fewintense scenes of themtogether. The movie was filmed and made in England with English characters. Near the end of the movie the young lady returns home for some reason, and her "mother" was just cordial to her not overly friendly. Her mother had acquired a console electronic organ, and could play it very well. The young lady inquired about the piano, and remarked the organ sits where only the piano always was located in the living room. I think she mentioned how she missed the piano.</P>

I have done my best trying to remember the title of this movie, but it seems I just can't for some reason. Andy, do you know or any one else remember this show? </P>

Thanks,</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Re: British Organs

Marlborough?

Comment

No idea about the film, sorry.</p>

Are you talking pipes or electronics, or both? Electronics include Marlborough, as Wombat said. They built small spinets for Conn, then went independent. Compton made the Electrone, there was Bird (absolute crap early combo organs), Kentucky (way over engineered but actually sounded damn good), Livingston church organs, Wyvern church and theatre instruments. Burgh is another old name. Jennings combo organs. Makin church organs.</p>

I'm sure I can think of a few more, given a bit of time.</p>

Organs were also assembled over here for the likes of Lowrey (by Selmer) and Hammond (by Boosey &amp; Hawkes).</p>

Andy
      </p>
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

</p>

Didn`t Alan Haven have a model(Crumar,combo)made under his direction? </p>

Lowrey organs(and some Leslie speakers)were assembled,under licence,by Selmar at Braintree.</p>

I picked up my speakers there( and a holiday K organ-in a special teak cabinet)
        </p>

wombat11 </p>

</p>

(James-are you sure you didn`t have a nightmare one night and dreamt about the film-stop eating cheese,late at night and get a cup of cocoa down you,before retiring!!)
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

Also, I need help on the name of a movie I saw a few years back. This movie was about some young girl whose mother, maybe stepmother had an upright piano in their home. However, the movie starts out where this young girl joins some very small religious group of other young ladies, maybe a cult, and some of the ladies played awful sounding horns, and/or reed instruments. The young lady wants to play one of the horns, but she was denied because the gal that owned it didn't want to share it playing for thereligious meeting.[/quote]</P>

Sounds like Major Barbara: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033868/</P>
          2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

Later, this young lady meets another girl and they become "lovers" which causes all kinds of problems in her life especailly at her home place where she met with total rejection. Since she was a lesbian, the movie has a fewintense scenes of themtogether. The movie was filmed and made in England with English characters. Near the end of the movie the young lady returns home for some reason, and her "mother" was just cordial to her not overly friendly.[/quote]</P>

Sounds like Children's Hour: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054743/</P>
            2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Working...
            X