• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things bright and beautiful

Hi Guys</P>

I posted this in Liturgical but excuse me if I repeat the post here.</P>

Forgive the dumb question, but I'm not thinking too clearly right now. </P>

I was due to play this hymn (I'm using the tune by W H Monk) at a friend's wedding in a few weeks time and the music's been sitting here, ready for me to arrange it as I always do.</P>

However, my mother passed away a few days ago and it's also one of the hymns left in the instructions for her funeral. The cemetery chapel is very small and has no organ, and music is played on CD. I'm therefore going to arrange the hymn and record it to CD on a nearby organ - I did the same for my father's funeral. There was and is some comfort in being able to play for them one last time in this way.</P>

It's been ages since I've heard or played 'All things bright and beautiful', so here's the dumb question.</P>

You play/sing the 'All things...' part, then go to the 1st verse 'Each little flower that opens..', then it's DC to 'All things....' again. After that, do you go 'All things...' again and then go off to verse 2 'The purple headed mountain...' or do you skip the 'All things...' part and go straight to the 2nd verse. Forgive the brain, but I simply can't remember!</P>

Help!</P>

Thanks</P>

Andy G</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Re: All things bright and beautiful

It's one of those wierd hymns that start with a chorus and then goes on to the verse. I see it that 'All things B&amp;B' is a separate chorus sung once each time in between each individual verse, however the chorus is the very first thing that is sung.</P>

The way we always sing it and how I always play it is:</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>All things bright...</LI>
    <LI>Each little flower...</LI>
    <LI>The purple headed mountain...</LI>
    <LI>The cold wind in the winter(?)...</LI>
    <LI>Next verse...</LI>
    <LI>All things bright...</LI>[/list]

etc. etc.</P>

Ihope that makes some sort of sense!</P>

Jezza</P>

Comment

I agree Jezza, thats how I always play it anyway!</P>

Hope all goes well Andy G []</P>

Kind Regards,</P>

TT</P>

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Andy. We are thinking of you...

Comment

Comment

Deja Vu!</p>

Just replied to the same post in "Liturgical Music" section, but my answer is the the same as "diaphones" so no worries.
            </p>
            1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
            Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, and alsofor the kind words. They are much appreciated.</P>

Andy</P>
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Hi Andy,</p>

Sincere condolences. </p>

The tune/version of all things (`bed and Breakfast`-as one vicar used to call it) that I hear most nowadays,is the John Rutter one.</p>

It is,like his other compositions,quite beautiful.</p>

Whenever I hear something of his I know it immediately-he`s got a very individualistic style.</p>

I cannot say more-the hymn words order issue has been clarified for you.</p>

In closing,I would add that the combination of `Love divine` and with tune Abbots Leigh is breathaking-</p>

especially at the last verse-`</p>

Changed from glory into glory,till in Heaven we take our place
                </p>

`till we lay our crowns before thee,lost in wonder love and praise.</p>

wombat 11 .
                </p>

Comment

[quote user="wombat11"]

The tune/version of all things (`bed and Breakfast`-as one vicar used to call it) that I hear most nowadays,is the John Rutter one.</p>

It is,like his other compositions,quite beautiful.</p>

wombat 11 .
                  [/quote]</p>

I agree totally, the Rutter version is very nice but is suited to a piano accompaniment. I first heard of this particular version on Songs of Praise and immediately went online and bought the score afterwards.</p>

</p>
                  1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
                  Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Working...
                  X