• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Happy New Year!!

I also want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!</P>

I thought I'd post a couple of photos of my church at Christmas 2008.</P>

The above is the Chancel area just before the beginning of the 9 pm candlelight service on Christmas Eve 2008. The screens are retractable and disappear at the top when not in use. The statue of the Holy Family was a gift to the church and normally has a place in the Narthex. (I have been told that the fastenings of the decorations to the organ were done with the supervision of the Music Staff and are not visible under normal circumstances.)</P>

</P>

We also had a live Nativity scene. (Sorry for the poor quality, but there was a strong cold wind blowing from the right--north.)</P>

I sang with the choir at the 9 pm candlelight service and with a smaller ensemble at the 11 pm service. There had also been candlelight services at 4:30 pm (children's choirs) and 6 pm (youth and adult choirs). A fifth candlelight service (blended) had occurred on Saturday the 20th, to accommodate those who would be out of town over Christmas, and I also participated in that one.</P>

Some years our church has had a service on New Year's Eve crossing midnight, but not this year. Such services are not particularly popular here, it seems.</P>

David</P>

Comment

"year" changes for another thing.[/quote]</P>

So that nobody is left out of the joke:year changes to rear.</P>

[]</P>

(Apparently, the Portugese say it without the tilde; but perhaps the Portugese accent is different enough such that this would not offend a Spaniard or any other speaker of Spanish.)</P>

Comment

Yes, you're right. Still, I spelled the wordcorrectly, or does it appear otherwhise?</P>

Comment

[quote user="tommy_kingma"]

Yes, you're right. Still, I spelled the wordcorrectly, or does it appear otherwise?</P>

[/quote]</P>

You are perfect, Tommy! My point is the amusing change of meaning that would have been the case had you (or anyone) accidentally omitted the tilde. For example - true story: One time an non-spanish-speaking gentleman caused a big laugh at a birthday party by unintentionally saying "Quantos anos tiene usted?" After the laughter subsided, the guest of honor answered "Uno."</P>

[]</P>

Comment

Really funny story... I would have laughed untill I couldn't do anymore. Oh well, thanks for the little story.

Comment

Comment

[quote user="BOZ"]

David,</P>

Thanks for sharing images of your beautiful church. Very tastefully decorated.</P>

I have a couple questions on the retractable screens. Where are the projectors situated? How do you feel about the use of AV's during services?</P>

Thanks,</P>

John</P>

[/quote]John, thanks for your comments.</P>

The projectors are located immediately behind the screens (where they are depicted) and mounted in the little diagonal walls behind them. When the screens are stowed, the projectors can be seen, but they don't create much of a distraction (since they are not working then).</P>

I am at 6s and 7s on the use of screens. We use them for a number of purposes: displaying the words of scriptures, hymns, etc.; displaying the names of persons needing prayer, who have died, for whom there are "prayer blankets"; video clips of church missions, teaching projects, events, etc.; and special images/clips that the preacher needs (or at least wants) while delivering the sermon. I am cool with all of those except displaying the words of the hymns. I am afraid that we are teaching our congregation how to not use the Hymnal by this practice and ultimately they will find themselves unable to deal with a hymn they don't already know the melody to (not to mention total ignorance of part-singing). This is an issue that distresses me a lot, but there does not seem to be much I can do about it. (I'm just a choir member.) I predict that in less than a decade there will be no more than 20 hymns that can be sung in services because all the older congregants who may have known more have died off and there will have been no effort to teach them to younger ones. Everyone pooh-poohs me on this, but I think I'm right. When I'm in the congregation I pull out the Hymnal (it's hard to reach located under the seat of the pew in front) and sing parts (even on the first and last verse--so there, Mr. Choir Director!) Of course, I've been singing in churches for more than 60 years and if the hymn was not composed in the last 20 years the chances are that I know it, and its parts. (There have been precious few hymns composed in the last 20 years that are worth singing, in my opinion--no, make that 50 years.)</P>

So, in general, I don't have an issue with the screens as long as they remain stowed when they are not actually in use. (The rose window behind the screen on the right is one I bought in memory of my parents and family--when the screen is stowed the shutter opens, too.) So far, the tech crew has been pretty good about this.</P>

David</P>

Comment

Hi David,</p>

That's a tough one, regarding displaying the words to hymns. I agree with you that people need to be encouraged to read music out of the hymnal, and that the screens would make it far too easy to get lazy.</p>

In the 22,000 seat LDS conference center, the words are put up on screen during conferences because having so many hymnals floating around would be likely be a total disaster. Does your church do this only on occasion, or is it a pretty regular thing?</p>

</p>

Rob
                    </p>

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]When I'm in the congregation I pull out the Hymnal (it's hard to reach located under the seat of the pew in front) and sing parts (even on the first and last verse--so there, Mr. Choir Director!)[/quote]Hopefully you are singing unison if the organist plays a free accompaniment? [] And hopefully they are playing free accompaniments ona regular basis?

Comment

Nice pics David

Comment

I know this is sorta off topic, but could you explain what free accompaniments are? I've seen a book of them, and looked at it, but didn't pay it much attention.

Comment

A free accompaniment, also known as an alternate harmonization (or as Gerre Hancock likes to say "the treatment" [] ) is when the organist plays something completely different from the printed hymn in order to spice things up a bit (most often in the last verse). The hymn melody is of course the same but the underlying harmony can be radicallydifferent; for this reason it is always a good idea for everyone to sing unison when alternate harmonizations are employed.</P>

A good organist can extemporize on the spot, but there are also many usefulbooks ofprinted outharmonizations (which I personally prefer to use).</P>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"][quote user="davidecasteel"]When I'm in the congregation I pull out the Hymnal (it's hard to reach located under the seat of the pew in front) and sing parts (even on the first and last verse--so there, Mr. Choir Director!)[/quote]Hopefully you are singing unison if the organist plays a free accompaniment? [] And hopefully they are playing free accompaniments ona regular basis?[/quote]Yes, SB32, if the organist plays a free accompaniment, I shift gears and sing the melody (although sometimes with some irritation). I don't know about the "regular basis" as I don't know what that means to you. If you mean does the organist do it on every hymn, then no. The primary organist may do it once in a service (but maybe not); the assistant organist is more likely to do it on every hymn he plays. My irritation is because the way our services are configured we only have 2 hymns and we may only sing 2 verses of those; the Choir Director insists that the choir sing unison on the first and last verses (which may be all there are) and it seriously limits our opportunities to sing parts on the hymns. I wish it were not so, that we had at least 3 hymns and that we sang all the common verses they have (at least the ones between the score staves), but we don't. I really hate unison singing because I have to swap back and forth between octaves all the time--I'm a first tenor and singing the melody line an octave lower puts me singing around my "break" all the time (which just destroys my voice); on the other hand just singing with the sopranos works much of the time but I can't handle a C above Middle C well any more. The continued transposition of hymns downward in succeeding hymnals makes the first situation worse, but does improve the latter. It's gotten bad enough that I almost always sing alto (when we are allowed to sing parts)--the tenor line looks like a baritone part.</P>

Stefanussen, the words to every hymn are projected on the screens. (Bah!) I have even heard it suggested that selection of the hymns for services is now being subjected to concern about the "screenability" of the words. If true, I cannot begin to describe how disgusting I think that is!</P>

David</P>

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

I have even heard it suggested that selection of the hymns for services is now being subjected to concern about the "screenability" of the words. If true, I cannot begin to describe how disgusting I think that is!</p>

David</p>

[/quote]YUCK!
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X