X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Outlook Email

I need help with an inorganic matter.</P>

I use Microsoft Outlook extensively on the job and my boss and I cannot figure out how to correct a minor problem with my Outlook. Originally, whenever I opened Outlook, both the Standard Toolbar and the Formatting Toolbar would appear automatically. Then one day I was rushing around with the mouse and accidentally "screwed up" the Formatting Toolbar. I reopened it an repositioned it okay; but now when I open Outlook in the morning, while the Standard Toolbar appears okay, the Formatting Toolbar only appears about 30% of the time and I am forced to open it manually the other 70% of the time.</P>

We have tried all of the normal, intuitive fixes for this, including the one that returns your Outlook setting to default with no luck. While this is a relatively minor inconvenience, it is still annoying and it would be nice to get it fixed. Problem is: We have no idea what I did that day many weeks ago when I was zipping around like a crazy man with the mouse and messed up the Formatting Toolbar in the first place which created the problem.</P>

I know we have some Organ Forum members who are computer gurus in varying degrees. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!</P>

[]</P>

Re: Microsoft Outlook Email

"inorganic matter"[Y]</P>

I don't know if this would help, but if I click on View--Toolbars--Customize, the Options tab has a check box labeled "Show Standard and Formatting toolbars on two rows" and this box is checked on my Outlook. This option is "grayed out" (but checked) unless I am in the process of writing or editing a message. I haven't experimented (and am a little reluctant to do so) with this, but if this box were unchecked and for some reason there was not enough space to put both toolbars on the same line, would it maybe just leave out the Formatting toolbar altogether?</P>

David</P>

Comment

Thank you, David. That is an excellent suggestion and very logical. I think that I have already tried that approach without complete success; but it is certainly worth another try. (When the trouble started, I did indeed have both toolbars on the same row.) Yes, there are times when the formatting toolbar will be grayed out and this is normal and appropriate under certain conditions; but it should never spontaneously disappear altogether. I would be glad to have the the toolbars on two rows if it helped the formatting bar to stablize and remain open.</P>

Thanks again!</P>

[I]</P>

Comment

Could you perhaps have brought on this condition by adding buttons to one or both toolbars, thereby exceeding the space available?</P>

David</P>

Comment

Yes indeed. But I have tried deleting some non-essential buttons without success. Preliminary attempts indicate optimism regarding having the formatting toolbar on its own line (row). Let's see how things go over the next few days. Thanks again for your kind assistance.</P>

I know not what time zone you are in, but it is approaching midnight here.</P>

"He watching over Israel, slumbers not nor sleeps." Psalm 121</P>

Comment

I'm in the U.S. Central Standard Time zone--it is 5 minutes after midnight as I write this, on 11 Jan. I am truly a "night person".</P>

I am interpreting your optimism to mean that the fix is currently working; it could have meant that it was optimistic to think it would work. I hope the former is true.</P>

David</P>

Comment

Hi David,</P>

That's right; you are the man in Texas with the whale of a Klais!</P>

By my previous message, I meant that I was optimistic that the two separate rows would work. After today, it appears that this may have done the trick; but this whole thing has been so flakey, I will wait another day or two before declaring complete success. For example, before I accidentally made the mess, both toolbars on the same row worked fine.</P>

Computers . . .</P>

[]</P>

Comment

Hi David,</P>

Well, the two-line toolbar is not doing the trick to keep the Formatting bar open at all times. I now have both bars on one line and have removed a few non-essential buttons from each toolbar in the hope that this may help. I cannot help but wonder if the current Windows might be better off if we went back to where we had to save our changes (settings) rather than having them save automatically. Itwould make it more difficult for us to screw ourselves up.</P>

Oh well . . .</P>

Comment

MenschenStimme, I am sorry that this did not work. I am not a guru and have nothing else to offer. Perhaps some more educated person will sign in with a suggestion.</P>

David</P>

Comment

Working...
                  X