Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less traffic since forum software upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admittedly anything new or different from the previous takes some getting used to. And sometimes one loses something somewhere. That is the price one pays for progress. I am managing OK with the new set-up however, sometimes I see under "notifications" a 1 or 2 or whatever and when I click on the field it takes me straight to the comment or response to a post. This morning I saw a notification but when I clicked on the field it took me to the main notification page where no new messages were displayed. I do not mind this much but if this occurrence causes me to miss someone's question that person may get the wrong impression if I do not respond so, if anyone has perhaps asked me something recently and I did not respond, well, this may be the reason and I apologize.

A close friend once commented: "I will always answer your question and it may not be what you wanted to hear, but if you ask me something I will never ignore you...."

I try to live by this philosophy also.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

Originally posted by DellAnderson View Post
      At every turn Admin has denied, diminished, or ignored potentially valuable feedback.

​​​​
      I can see where you're coming from, but to me, this comment is harsh and unfair. And I'm not saying this because I particularly like the new design (I don't, but I can live with it) or because I run a large forum myself and know how much work one has to put it. When you're the one in the "driver's seat", you have to make decisions. You can listen to people's opinions and feedback, and my impression is that our admin here is certainly listening, but in the end, you gotta do what you think is working. Yes, users contribute and are a valuable and necessary part of any forum, but we don't run it and we don't decide. Admin will have reasons for all the decisions and the way he's running this place. Please take this into account. Wishing you all the best

Coming back to the original question. I'm frequenting quite a few music forums and this is one of the most lively and friendly forums I know. From my point of view, the activity level seems not much different from the old days of the old software, and I'm getting more and more used to the design and features. I even found out how to make a comment instead of a reply and so far, I found everything I was looking for.

Comment

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much for affirming comment and support.

There have been several comments on this thread since I last checked it yesterday. I am subscribed to the thread. I didn't receive any notifications of the comments. In order to read them, in context, I have to begin with the first post and scroll through each post to see if I've missed something. Or, I can use Latest Activity and see the comments without any reference to the post being commented on. I can't believe a majority of people find this satisfactory.

Comment

I can confirm that I'm missing notifications on comments. I'm subscribed to the Classic & Church Electronic Organs channel. User myorgan made a comment at 9:53 pm yesterday in the Organ Voicing thread. I didn't receive notification of that comment. Note that, though I am subscribed to the channel, when I view the thread, it indicates that I am not subscribed to the thread. Could that be why the notification was missing? Shouldn't each thread in the channel "inherit" the subscription setting?

Comment

It's so great that DellAnderson decides to stop by every year or two to tell me how to run this Forum. Especially when he has to learn how to configure his ad blocker and remember his password to log on. He's right though, life's too short, so he won't be coming back.

I've always been open to suggestions on improving the forum and dealing with questions and problems. My participation in this discussion was not to defend the software but to help people understand its use and how to get the most from it. I regard that as my obligation. but I didn't sign up for people, like Dell, who sit on the side lines,contribute nothing, and then after a long absence, come back to sell an organ, and dump on the operation of this forum. Frankly, being told "that its time to revaluate your goals" by someone with no skin in the game is something I find insulting.

The bottom line is this, I'm here to support you with your questions and problems. If there's a bug, I want to hear about it, even though it is something that will ultimately have to be referred to the developers. What I'm not here to do is to defend this software or the way this forum is run.

I started this forum sixteen years ago to provide a resource of information to the organ community, not to make money or build an empire. I'm still providing that resource at my time and expense. I'm proud of the people who contribute here, and the respectful, helpful community they've created . When you come here you know that you are coming into a safe, secure and spam free, but most of all, helpful environment

I say this honestly and without malice: if you find the benefits of participating here outweighed by the trivial and workable differences of the new software, please leave. Life's too short.
          -Admin

Allen 965
          Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
          Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

We do appreciate this forum and your work, Admin, and I think I speak for all of us! This forum is an invaluable resource for organ information, but more importantly it is a source of community with other organ people. A kind of kinship and camaraderie that many of us could not experience IRL.

I just take it that the forum is very important to many folks, notably the ones who have been commenting here, even those who have registered earnest complaints. If we didn't care about the forum, we probably wouldn't take the time to even notice the changes!

As for me, I'll certainly be hanging out here as long as the place is open. It's a privilege and truly amazing that this cool gathering spot is available to us all for free. I trust that the hiccups we've experienced since the changeover will eventually be behind us, that genuine bugs will get worked out. It's a little scary for me -- my biggest fear has been that I'm missing out on some discussions I'd love to join because stuff seems to not always be in the same place it used to be. But I'll surely get used to the new layout and will eventually feel confident that I'm getting all the posts I want to see.

After all, we've been through this before. I don't remember the details, but I know that the forum had to migrate in some manner a few years back and I recall being lost for a while before getting accustomed to those changes.
            John
            ----------
            Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
            Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
            Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
            Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
              We do appreciate this forum and your work, Admin, and I think I speak for all of us! This forum is an invaluable resource for organ information, but more importantly it is a source of community with other organ people. A kind of kinship and camaraderie that many of us could not experience IRL.
              AMEN! Preach it, brother!

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
              As for me, I'll certainly be hanging out here as long as the place is open. It's a privilege and truly amazing that this cool gathering spot is available to us all for free. I trust that the hiccups we've experienced since the changeover will eventually be behind us, that genuine bugs will get worked out. It's a little scary for me -- my biggest fear has been that I'm missing out on some discussions I'd love to join because stuff seems to not always be in the same place it used to be.
              I just keep bringing topics back to the surface until you find them, John, so just keep wandering in the wilderness until you find them.

Michael

P.S. Thanks to John & Admin for all they do (& not necessarily in that order).
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                AMEN! Preach it, brother!

I just keep bringing topics back to the surface until you find them, John, so just keep wandering in the wilderness until you find them.

Michael

P.S. Thanks to John & Admin for all they do (& not necessarily in that order).
                I'm gradually getting better at navigating, and finding stuff I didn't know was here. Just yesterday I noticed the tab "Today's Posts" and clicked on it to find it was exactly the same listing that I used to get on the old software, just under a different label or something. Anyway, I hadn't noticed it before, but it is just what I was looking for, as I nearly always check the forum at least once a day, and this will show me all the activity for the past 24 hours. Even threads that I've seen or added to within the last day will still be there, contrary to the way the "New Topics" tab works.

One thing that still bugs me, and perhaps this will get worked out, and I could even be mistaken about this -- but it does seem that when people "comment" on a thread to which I'm subscribed rather than "posting a reply" it doesn't show up in Notifications. At least not all the time. And I can't figure out why that is. But in the "New Topics" listing, threads with a new comment do seem to show up in lighter font, so I've learned to click on them and seek out the comments.

I can see the value in having the ability to "comment" on a post, a la Facebook, when appropriate. I'm just accustomed to the old way of doing, where every new entry was a whole new post. I'll get over it!

This is great fun for me, and a tremendous outlet. When (if) I ever retire, this will be an even more vital part of my "social life." Right now i get to talk to organ people nearly every day IRL, but one day I'll only have my "virtual friends" here on the forum to talk to!
                John
                ----------
                Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
                Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
                Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
                Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
                X