Google Bach Harmonization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Bach Harmonization

I am sorry I did not post this sooner, but today Google is honoring J. S. Bach's birthday with an app that will harmonize a melody in the style of Bach. I just entered the first phrase of "Amazing Grace." It is great fun and I imagine that other readers of this forum will want to join in on the fun. It will be up for the rest of the day. Enjoy.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Bill,

I actually did this with my string students today (entered first phrase of Für Elise), and the harmonization was really awful. However, I'm sure something will work, but I haven't been able to find a melody that harmonizes satisfactorily regarding the harmonizing program. I was excited to see an organ featured on the search engine once for once–a 3-manual, no less!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• voet
      voet commented
      Editing a comment
      Myorgan: What a great idea to have your students involved. Für Elise might work better for a Bach fugue than a 4 part harmonization, but it would be fun to try anyway. I would like to play with something like this that used additional composers.

One of my favorite CDs a number of years ago was titled "What if Mozart Had Written "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas." The group called themselves the Hampton String Quartet, but I believe they were professional NY string players who just used that name for the album. They also did one on Beetle's tunes. It was really well done. Your string players might find that interesting.

Jay999: I agree with you. I would really like to play with this some more. However, I notice that it is still up today, so I am guessing that it got a lot of user involvement.

• samibe
      samibe commented
      Editing a comment
      You can hit the "refresh" button to have it generate a new harmonization. I got a few decent harmonizations from a tune last night.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Voet,

Odd you should mention the Hampton String Quintet. I have What if Mozart Wrote "Born to be Wild"? I've used it with students over the past several decades when attempting to get them to think outside the ordinary. It also introduces the theory concepts of Form and Tone Color (aka Timbre) and gets students to again, think outside the ordinary. Thanks for reminding me about them!

Michael
Working...
X