Allen Organ Company delivery truck model on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Organ Company delivery truck model on ebay

I have to laugh every time one of the"1931 Hawkeye Motor Truck" Allen Organ Company banks is posted for sale on ebay. Jerome Markowitz was born in 1917 and while he founded Allen in 1937, at age 20, the company didn't really get going until after World War 2. And the company moved from Allentown to Macungie (the location printed on the model truck) in 1953, so that would have been a 23 year old delivery truck by then.

I sometimes wonder why ERTL, the manufacturer of the model, decided to put AOC on this vintage truck model. Does anyone think this was inspired by reality or was it a chance connection between ERTL and Allen?
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

When I lived around Chicago, I'd drive to NE Iowa for holidays, etc., to see family that still lived (and lives) around there. On US 20, I would regularly pass by the Ertl company's factory, and seeing these always reminds me of those trips.

I suspect Ertl did this for Allen as a promotional item, and not something they generally sold to the pulbic--i.e., just done for Allen. Just a guess.

Comment

Maybe it was to give people a sense that the company had been around a while. And people are probably interested in something that looks different than modern trucks, or something that brings back memories.
      Allen 530A

Comment

I remember these. Allen sold them in 1991. I know they were sold at the factory. I believe for 10 or 15 dollars each. I know they went fast at Allen. I have two of them. I know someone bought a case of them. I don't know if they sold them outside of the company though, maybe another forum member can answer that. If I recall correctly, it had been mentioned at Allen that the truck is similar to the first truck that Allen used to deliver organs. Don't quote me though, that was 28 years ago.

Comment

Thanks for providing the context for this item. Now I know the rest of the story.
          Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
          Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
          Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

• you795a
            you795a commented
            Editing a comment
            I worked there for over 25 years and also have an autographed book Trials and Triumphs of an Organ Builder from Jerome Markowitz.

Would it even be unusual to be using a 25 year old delivery truck in 1953?

Comment

• AllenAnalog
            AllenAnalog commented
            Editing a comment
            Knowing more history of that truck model and thinking about post WW2 shortages perhaps lingering further into the 1950s, I guess this wasn't as big of a disconnect in age as I first thought. Thanks everyone for your input.
        Working...
        X