Organstops.org down for good this time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organstops.org down for good this time?

Hi, folks. It seems that organ stops really is down this time. In the event that it's not temporary, can anyone suggest another (online) source to search stop lists? I found it too specific for Google, which failed spectacularly each time I tried a search.

This is what I'm up to now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Friesach.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	653351

That's the Friesach sample set from Piotr Grabowski.

http://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/friesach.html

I have the Solowerk manual set up as a floating division that can be played from either manual on my Rodgers. (I got that image from a screen shot from YouTube.) I have no idea what they're doing with all the couplers engaged, but this organ sounds very nice with the registrations I've tried so far.

Also, what do the numbers indicate? This organ is actually terraced, so 1 and 31 are top-left on both sides. Is that just to make notation easier during markup?
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Well, I did find this at Wikipedia under "organ stop."

This is an example of a pipe organ stoplist, showing both common stop names and conventional formatting. Within each division, flues are listed before reeds, then low to high pitch, then louder to softer stops within a pitch level. Separate celeste stops are next to their corresponding normally-tuned stops. Reed stops are often labeled in red on stop knobs or tabs.

Is this also the custom for pipe organs in Europe? (This organ was built in 2000.)

Thanks.
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
      Also, what do the numbers indicate? This organ is actually terraced, so 1 and 31 are top-left on both sides. Is that just to make notation easier during markup?
      Yes- makes it easier. Also, if a note is dead you can leave a note for the tuner "# 27 Middle C is out" rather than writing out "Positiv 8' Rorhgedackt Middle C is out". I once played a totally mechanical action Rieger with one mechanical general piston- so on a sticky I would write the numbers of the stops I needed to set on it.

Comment

Cool. Thank you.

I went back to the website, and hmm... the list there does have some stops shown in red.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Stops.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	653361

So that's some progress.

Comment

http://web.archive.org/web/201807150...org/index.html
          Last edited by Nutball; 03-26-2019, 06:59 PM. Reason: Found a better link that keeps you in cached view after following other links.
          Allen 530A

Comment

• Silken Path
            Silken Path commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again, Nutball - I found what I needed.

• samibe
            samibe commented
            Editing a comment
            It's also possible to download the whole site and pictures from the web archive. Then you can view the site offline.
            Use Nutball's link, click on "Frames Version", click on "Downloads" in the left panel. It should bring up a couple of links some zip files.

• Silken Path
            Silken Path commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Samibe - I would likely not have found that!

Very nice, Nutball. Thank you. That will help a lot.

So far, so good. The Untersatz 32 doesn't flap my home-theater sub-woofer and the Jubalflöte is a joyful sound.

What does the nomenclature like

4-5f.

mean? 4 1/2 feet?

Now to make a list of each stop and identify what family they are in...

Comment

• beel m
            beel m commented
            Editing a comment
            4-5f means 4-5 ranks...starts at 4 ranks, then after (usually) the first octave goes to 5 ranks

• APipeOrganist
            APipeOrganist commented
            Editing a comment
            The F is short for "Fach" which is the German Word for "subject" or "departments". It's essentially the German nomenclature for ranks.

• Silken Path
            Silken Path commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, beel m and APipeOrganist.

Thank you, sir.

I also found more information about stop names in "Pipe Organ Registrations" by Jack C. Goode, in the index. The "Dictionary of Stops" goes from p. 193 to 205 (!).

He uses definite statements like

Corno dolce. Italian. 16', 8'. Rare open flue of delicate tone.

I've had to turn my subwoofer way down because even the 16' pedal stops by themselves are throaty... What's the word? Windy? Well, loud... The Untersatz 32' is more like background pressure in this 200 sq. ft. room (as psychological as physical) and the Posaune is a bit over the top. (This is fun.)

I have the thought in the back of my head that I'm going to find the "keeper" organ -- the one that I want to practice and learn on -- and it may be in Hauptwerk. I'm concerned about the idea of permanence, though. Will it still work in ten years? Five years?

My 52 year-old Allen will still be playable (or at least fixable).

Comment

Working...
          X