Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Photos- from the days before we self hosted

Hi all!
    It's been years and years since I used photobucket but the posts I wrote during my...er... most helpful period still refer to pics hosted there. While I don't think we have any way to retrieve and self host pics for our thousands of old posts this will have some impact on searchable archive material.
    It appears that photobucket have struggled down to another level of $$$ difficulty. They have restricted existing accounts to 250 images or less!

I'm going through my own photo account and am deleting the least useful images so that the most useful can still be accessed should somebody search the organ forum archive... but cutting down from 750 photos to 200 essential ones is a hard call. I'm down to about 400 and I'm getting stumped!
    I've noted that it seems the photos in sub albums don't get counted in your total at the top, making it harder to check your count. There is a tally in settings but it doesn't update very often.

I guess it just is what it is. I'll wait and see what photobucket do if I can't get down to the new low.
    Myspace lost their copy of my old compositions, that affects nobody- But photobucket have also been proving the internet isn't forever.

It's a shame their slow demise has an impact on our own forum archive though.
    Any solutions, anybody?
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

I've always thought, a forum that doesn't host pictures isn't worth being a part of. It's a pain in the butt for me to have to find a photobucket type site, make an account and link one picture. Maybe I've been spoiled by having always been a part of picture hosting forums. One solution I have used is to edit a long lost post or post new in a test section of a forum that hosts pictures and link from there. I haven't tried getting away with hundreds of pictures like that, as that could be an unfair burden, but I have used another forum to host about 20 pictures, and rotate them out with ones I more currently need.

If they are all organ related and useful to this site, maybe you could make a post in an appropriate out of the way location (with Admin's permission) and repost all 750 pics there, and re link them to your old posts, if you could regain access to edit them.

This one is "referenced locally"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00490 (400x300).jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	654402
    This one is directly linked as if from another forum (but it's not)

I am curious as to what the maximum files size and picture dimensions are allowed here are?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nutball; 04-08-2019, 12:57 PM.
    Allen 530A

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Admin can advise regarding the limit of photos or sizes, but I know I'm almost there, so I have to be judicious about what I attach or post. Server space isn't free.

Michael

A high percentage of the old posts will never be accessed, so its not really an issue.
    If a new member finds old posts that need clarification it's not such a problem if the original poster is on the forum and able to be contacted.

A decade back when I was ravenously hunting Hammond T info I found the organ forum with posts with lots of pictures about repairs and improvement. Even then some of the pics (all externally hosted in those days) had started to fall off the map. Some of the members had moved on to other things so I wasn't able to pick their brains.
    Admittedly when folks pick mine now I've forgotten most of it. The forum was the only record A few years back I started a journal of electrical adventures but it doesn't have what's on the forum nor what fell off in the period between forum and notebook.

It's funny though, things seems to come and go in fads... modding T's and making DIY leslie speakers seems to have passed on again.
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-

Comment

Photobucket are really showing cracks now...
      after reducing my account to meet their revised limitation (of 250 photos or 2.5G whichever is less) they've reduced it further to 25MB!
      Here we go again....
      The ransom is blurred and watermarked photos or else a paid account. I think they're not long for this world...

Comment

Realised I've taken that account down as far as it can go. The 220 remaining pics (instructions on repair of The Hammond T500, mostly) come to 200MB.
        I pay for a photobucket account so the archived Hammond articles will suffer a little. Most forum members will ask questions in a new thread instead of searching the archive, so I guess that won't be much of a problem. It's old members who remember writing detailed answers for the question who repost from the archives, mostly.
        Last edited by Brendon Wright; 05-09-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X