Notre Dame in Paris on Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notre Dame in Paris on Fire

Just saw on the news where the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire, and has burned from the rear toward the front. I hope everyone is OK.

Sadly, this means many of us will never see the stained glass windows or ever hear that wonderful organ again. Evidently, it was under construction, and that may have contributed to the fire.

Sad!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Live news reports are showing it to be a massive fire so the damage will be extensive. The video is heartbreaking, the collapse of the spire was stunning to watch. Just last month there was a fire at St. Sulpice, which fortunately did not cause extensive damage.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

It has been confirmed there are no casualties, so far.
      Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
      Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

It is reported that President Trump has said they should use “flying water tankers” to extinguish the fire. I didn’t realise he was a firefighting expert. Whatever next?!

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's keep this from being a political statement, if that's OK with you. In researching the topic, it is evidently a viable option in some cases (helicopter vs. tanker).

This does raise another point, though. I wondered from the beginning why they didn't choose 3-4 windows to break so they could direct the water at the base of the flames. Yes, the windows are centuries old, but failure to sacrifice a few could mean the loss of many. It would also vent the fire so the chimney effect takes the flames upward.

But then, what do I know about firefighting? Just my immediate thoughts. It must've had quite a start on them.

Michael

• paulj0557
          paulj0557 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha I thought the same idea.

It wasn’t meant to be a political statement. My thoughts with some knowledge, if only a little, of firefighting are (1) the downdraught from a helicopter could do more harm than good, (2) a tanker drop would lack sufficient accuracy. Anyway, ‘nuff said. I’m sure the Paris Sapeurs Pompiers are doing their best.

Comment

It's being covered live on Fox News right now. I am devastated by this! I have visited Notre Dame in Paris several times, the most recently in 2015. Here are my photos from that trip (ignore the couple of St. Severin): https://www.flickr.com/photos/871255...7656508958616/.

David

Comment

• Larrytow
            Larrytow commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the link to your photos David. It is interesting to see the inside as an organist ( not just a tourist ) sees it.

• Organfella
            Organfella commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you David for the lovely pictures.
            Nico

• Pipeorganbuilder
            Pipeorganbuilder commented
            Editing a comment
            Your photos are beautiful David. Thanks for sharing.

Michael

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/notre...e-organ-music/

Comment

• voet
            voet commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing this article about the Notre Dame Organ, Jiwithrottlejocky. It is nice to have a bit of good news out of this tragedy.

Indeed a very sad event. I have never been privileged enough to be able to see this magnificent building although I have been to France a few times. Pity that often when one travels on business there is just not enough time to see the places and things that really matter! I have a beautiful recording of a Dutch men's choir performing a few hymns in the Notre Dames and the organ is clearly played by a very experienced organist. Something to treasure.

Our prayers are for all those who appreciate antiquities especially those with such a rich history.

Nico
          "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

It is reported that the main Notre Dame organ has survived.

Comment

I just wanted to write the same
              For those who speak French: https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/...e_3400747.html

Comment

Here is a story in English from The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...aa2_story.html

Comment

CNN posted these pictures from inside; you will be amazed at what you see (or don't see).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/europ...ntl/index.html

Another article I saw said that the organ is intact but unknown what condition it's in, water damage being the primary concern. I was thinking the intense heat might melt it down but, after seeing these pictures, I think it'll be fine.

Comment

Well, the candles in the alter area survived, so I would think the organ would be in better condition than we'd hoped since it's closest to the two remaining towers.

Now that I've researched the construction of the building, I understand why the organ and interior may have survived intact. When they kept referring to the "vault," I kept thinking they were referring to a crypt or space under the building. Only when I saw the interior pictures did I realize the "vault" is actually the vaulted ceiling shown in David's photos. The fire was contained mostly to the roof.

So, the roof was actually made of tons of lead, held up by heavy oak timbers from when the cathedral was first built. I was actually able to find a photo online of the wooden attic above the vaulted ceiling, but below the lead. When the oak wood caught fire, the fire spread quickly amongst the well-seasoned timbers, and then the weight of the lead caused the roof to collapse. However, when it collapsed, the wood and molten lead (mostly) remained above the vaulted ceiling. That explains why the flames were so visible above the walls of the cathedral.

Knowing what I know now, I understand why the firefighters were going over the wall, vs. knocking out a few windows to get at the base of the flames–the base of the flames were primarily above the windows. For the same reason, that's probably why the organ may have mostly survived, because it's primarily installed between the 2 remaining towers, and is below the roof. For that reason also, an airborne method would not have worked, as the weight of the water could have collapsed the vaulted ceiling and caused much more loss.

What a relief that potentially far less was destroyed than I had originally thought! Still, what a tragedy! David, thanks for your photos, as many of us will never be able to see Notre Dame as it was. For some of us, we'll be pushing up daisies before repair/rebuilding is completed.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RogerM,

I just discovered something about the comments on the Forum. Once there are several, the Forum truncates them to just the most recent 3. Consequently, I never saw you post, RogerM. Otherwise, I would have realized the construction details.

Thanks for calling my attention to it.

Michael

• davidecasteel
                      davidecasteel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was taken above the vaulting of the Köln Cathedral when I visited Orgelbau Johannes Klais with our Organ Selection Committee in 2001. There are a few photos of that area in this Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/871255...7637693324743/.

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WOW! David. Thank you so much for sharing those. What a rare experience!

Michael

According to this, the main organ suffered no water damage and is intact.
                    Laurent Prades, steward of the interior patrimony of Notre-Dame de Paris, spent the night removing works from the cathedral to save them from the flames. On Europe 1, he reassures about the state of the organs.
                    -Admin

Allen 965
                    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

A statement from, Vincent Dubois, one of the three organiste titulairs at Notre Dame de Paris.

Contrary to the rumors that circulated early this morning, the great organ is, a priori, saved. There are a few puddles on the left and right, but nothing dramatic. The case would be spared, as well as the pipe work... It's miraculous. We were in contact all night with my colleagues Olivier Latry and Philippe Lefebvre and we no longer believed in it. The stone roof slab that connects the two towers saved the instrument: there is no frame there from the roof, so the water sent by the fire brigade flowed on either side and did not fall on the organ loft. On the other hand, if the vaults of the nave, very weakened, are not quickly consolidated, it will probably be necessary to dismantle the organ and find a workshop large enough to shelter it. There is no such system in the Paris region. The challenge is to know very quickly whether the keystones will withstand the weight of the water and molten lead that has been poured into them. The choir organ did not burn either, but it did take on water completely. We'll have to see what's left of it... It'll take years before we can play this instrument again, but the most important thing was that it didn't end up in ashes. We will be patient and mobilize for its rehabilitation, once it has been closely examined.

Here's an informative article from the Washington Post describing the Notre Dame organs and bit of their history.
                      Great musicians, including one who collapsed and died while playing it, were drawn to the historic Notre Dame pipe organ.
                      -Admin

Allen 965
                      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                      X