Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Postlude - How to get people to listen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Postlude - How to get people to listen?

SimonS, I totally agree with you and I practice the same philosophy . I do a lot of sub work and never know how many people will stay and enjoy the postlude. I always play my heart out for that one person who enjoys organ music.

Rob

Comment

Being a sub has its pros and cons. One of the pros is being able to use your best material all the time since you're bouncing from congregation to congregation. I.e. they won't have heard it before. At least reasonably speaking of course.</p>

</p>

I will stand by my advice to not spend hours on a postlude. No one listens to it anyway. Play something easy that you don't have to practice. That advice goes for the 90% of organists who DO have to practice for Sunday. If you're stuck with only enough time to practice that tricky hymn or the postlude, you practice the hymn. Prelude and offertory are also more important. Postlude is the LAST thing you practice if you have the time.</p>
      Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
      Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

I once made myself a personal challenge: I never repeated a prelude or a postlude - I programmed something entirely new for each service.</P>

I think several years went by before I started repeating some pieces.</P>

The benefits were that I learned a huge amount of music, and the congregation became very interested tohear what I would be able to find each week. Parishioners would introduce me to visitors and say "he never repeats a piece"! Mission accomplished. []</P>

I stopped doing it, because I knew that people had their favorites too. I should start a new thread about that...</P>

Oh, and Ishould mention - even though this increased people's awareness and interest, itdidn'tnecessarily mean thatfolks would listen. [:S]</P>

Comment

SimonS, it appears that you have dealt with the talking in a pragmatic way - I too must see the reality of the situation - it would be interesting to test your theory - have someone play a postlude with guitar and see if they all sit to listen to that!!!</P>

Comment

Fascinating question regarding the guitar postlude! If it were classical guitar music (which is probably not what you meant), I would certainly sit and listen. Since an acoustical guitar sounds so subdued in a large space, I wonder if people would politely hush their conversations or move outside before talking? I might check with our youth choir and suggest trying this as an experiment after their youth Mass sometime. A few of them play acoustic guitar; but I know not if any of them play the classical repertoire. Probably not . . .</P>

[^o)]</P>

Comment

Actually I did mean classical guitar. I'm sure many would stop and listen to crashing cymbals and wailing guitars, but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind - more like Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by a skilled guitarist.</P>

I play a lot of "new" music too, which certainly develops my repertoire, but I'm sure it doesn't make a lot of difference to the congregation. I do have two people who faithfully come up front to hear my postlute - sounds like I should be satisfied with that.</P>

Comment

[quote user="cnr1949"]I do have two people who faithfully come up front to hear my postlute[/quote]</P>

Is that the classical guitar you were thinking about? []</P>

Comment

Well, I don't know about a Classical Guitar postlude, but I can tell you definitely that acoustic guitars, even when amplified, are not suitable for leading a congregation of 800 in a hymn! Twice a year my church has "Senior Sunday" in which the local high schools senior classes conduct the services, including using guitars for the music. Because the adult choir usually does not sing on those days, I have recently started going to another church when they happen. There is no instrument but the organ for leading congregational singing! For a small group, a piano may work. Of course, a full orchestra also does a pretty good job, but that is more than one instrument. I may be (well, I am!) a musical snob, but guitars have their place and leading singing (even crappy praise choruses) is not one of them.</P>

The experiment with a postlude, though, does sound interesting. Let us know how it works out.</P>

David</P>

Comment

A couple of short organ postludes I have recorded and recently uploaded to my YouTube channel:</p>

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnb3ptHj8c</p>

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tF4yg7ENjb4</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

I get so frustrated at bring unable to hear the organist at my church. Funny this subject came up here - I complained to the priest about it a few weeks ago and she said it was "very sweet" that I'm "so protective" of the organist (he and I are friends). No help there...

Comment

Does your church have a gathering area outside the nave/Sanctuary? Some churches refer to it as the Narthex, but mine calls it the Welcome Center (I prefer Narthex). If it does, the congregation should be encouraged to carry on their conversations there, especially if there will be another service in the nave right away.</P>

David</P>

Comment

[quote user="Choirmaster"]

A couple of short organ postludes I have recorded and recently uploaded to my YouTube channel:</p>

[/quote]</p>

Hey, thanks for posting those! So considering your location, you have most likely been at this console? (Taken just after I played on it.)</p>

</p>

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

Does your church have a gathering area outside the nave/Sanctuary? Some churches refer to it as the Narthex, but mine calls it the Welcome Center (I prefer Narthex). If it does, the congregation should be encouraged to carry on their conversations there, especially if there will be another service in the nave right away.</P>

David</P>

[/quote]</P>

Yeah - that's the kind of response I was hoping for, but didn't get - maybe even just asking people to make an effort to at least lower their voices. My concern was not taken seriously at all, though. I've started glaring at people and shushing them; that's helped a bit! </P>

Comment

Even worse: I had to yell at two choir members who were standing right behind me conversing loudly; and I mean rightbehind me.</P>

Forgive me for saying it again: "Angels and ministers of grace defend us!"</P>

[8o|][li]</P>

Comment

Perhaps we need to post some 'motivational' signs aroundour organ consoles - This one would be nice if it lit up - perhaps activated by a thumb piston: [8-|]</P>

</P>

This one is fora tougher crowd:</P>

</P>

Or... youlook intoreviving the position of beadle in your church, whose job would be to bop unruly folks on the head with his staff. []</P>

</P>

Comment

Working...
                                X