X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Organ Console

Just ran across this:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...7&ff=220890205

Apparently it's in a home of someone who collects interesting things... I wonder it it's just a "work of art" or if it has any functionality...
    Allen ADC 3500
    Hammond L100

Click image for larger version

Name:	2FB05068-537B-4753-8C63-150ED6106E99.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	667817
    Allen ADC 3500
    Hammond L100

Comment

• Organfella
      Organfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like the throne in Game of Thrones minus the seat and all the swords... Nico

It would appear to be a static display item. It does not look like it could be functional. It appears to be lacking the necessary depth that something like that would require to be functional. Its only possible hope of any type of operational existence would be some type of MIDI system.
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
    -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

Heh I knew exactly what it was just from the thread title. That picture is far better than the one I took. But when I posted it here, it apparently had been posted here previously, and no one cared to play along.

You've stumbled upon the whole character of Alex Jordan. You really have to go there to understand; and your socks will be blown off. No review, or video tour, could possibly do any justice to the whole experience of The House On the Rock.

By the way, the guy that collected all those things has not walked the Earth in several decades. But the House is still in business, and is a major tourist attraction. There's just nothing like it; not even close.

Comment

Here's a Hammond A100 on our local C.List. Not sure what the point was in this customization.

Comment

Fantasy can’t hold a candle to the real monster console...
          Attached Files
          Allen ADC 3500
          Hammond L100

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm surprised they let you that close, Vebo. When I went there a couple of years ago, they were doing pink noise generator tests in the space (for a concert), and when we FINALLY made it to the console (after a dog & pony show in the ballroom) they kept everyone a bit over 50' away from the console. Total visual time–approximately 1 minute. Wasted trip–I'll never go there again!

Michael

• beel m
            beel m commented
            Editing a comment
            Michael- don't give up. You can check progress on the "Fans of the Boardwalk Hall organs" Facebook page (without joining.) They have regular tours all year, and regular concerts in the summer. It's worth it!
            If you do go there again sometime, let me know and I can meet you there- it's only an hour from me.
            Um, a certain former 'staffer' was something of a control freak, IMO, and with him gone now I've found they're more relaxed about pics at the console, trying it, etc.

Originally posted by Vebo View Post
          Fantasy can’t hold a candle to the real monster console...
          Not a single CRT!

Comment

This is a contemporary console that is noteworthy: https://youtu.be/aH0uD-v6CmQ
            Allen ADC 3500
            Hammond L100

Comment

Fitting!

Comment

Michael, that's just an image snagged from a Google search. I'd love to make a pilgrimage to see it in person some day.

KC9 that’s really coincidental and marvelous you found that video! But someone needs to tune that thing! Even for Danse Macabre where being a little out of tune probably increases the eeriness, that was bad out of tune! Loved it though, thanks for sharing it!
                Allen ADC 3500
                Hammond L100

Comment

• KC9UDX
                  KC9UDX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got to see it that close and will never forget it; that's how I knew to search for it.

I had the exact same comment in person. "Why don't they tune that? I wish I could afford to volunteer to tune it."

I wonder if it's so out of tune intentionally (wouldn't surprise me). But I've heard other people say it was in tune when they went.

Part of what I think Mr. Jordan was trying to convey was how much we are missing listening to stereo recordings. Standing up close to one of those music machines takes jbird604's "transparency" to a whole new level.

Really, if you can find the opportunity, plan to go there and spend at least a day there. You won't regret it. I need to go back one of these days.

Originally posted by Vebo View Post
                Michael, that's just an image snagged from a Google search. I'd love to make a pilgrimage to see it in person some day.
                Sorry, but I wouldn't waste the time. I wish I could be more positive, but my experience is related below.

We were ushered into the ballroom where there was (what I consider) a sub-standard performance on that organ which lasted approximately 1/2 hour. I expected more from a Julliard student. Then we were walked around the hall and given details regarding the auditorium alterations over the years, but I couldn't hear that information because of the pink noise generator. We were taken into the repair shop where basic information was given regarding the restoration, but the group was so large, we were standing in the doorway. One of the "helpers" was talking constantly so I couldn't hear what was being said. We were then taken to the end of the stage, where we were only allowed to get approximately 50' from the console for photos (all while pink noise was going on). One person tried to get closer, but was turned away, and we were ushered out of the auditorium space, and toward the old console area. At that point, it turned into a money request–asking for donations, so we left without providing any donation. I'm sorry to say, we didn't even get what we paid for (taking an entire day out of our trip to go to Atlantic City, paying lodging, etc.).

I hope others' experiences have been better, but at this point unless I have an opportunity to play there, I'll probably never go again–not worth the time and effort. I couldn't see what I went to see. Sorry, I wish I could have been more positive.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 10 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I'll comment on both subjects of this thread since I have knowledge of both installations through friends who work on them.

There is an ongoing effort to update the computer control and music generating systems at the House on the Rock. Much of that equipment is quite old, failing and poorly documented, if at all, so it is a real challenge to work on. Plus the original installations were done with a tight budget so sometimes the restoration requires a total rebuild while trying to keep the displays as operational as possible for visitors. The tuning issue on some of the pipes, especially the reeds, is a constant challenge in some of the displays because of their location and lack of easy access to the pipes.

Atlantic City has seen a total overhaul in organ restoration and operational personnel since Michael was there. A rather difficult person is now gone. They have more money coming in for the restoration work. The left stage chamber has been brought back to life and many good organists are now allowed to play, whereas before there was some rather tight control of who could play the Midmer-Losh in the main auditorium.

There are many sporting and concert events held in that facility and the setup for them (like the pink noise generator for the sound system) takes precedence over the daily organ concerts. At those times the Kimball organ in the Ballroom (a lovely 55-rank instrument in its own right) is played instead of the Midmer-Losh. I haven't been back there since these changes took place but I believe that there is more professionalism in evidence on the tours with the new management.

It may be possible to call them to see which instrument will be played for a particular tour. They also have more extended "curator" tours.

https://www.boardwalkorgans.org/

https://www.atlanticcitynj.com/event...f-95319a1ea5ba

Having spent hundreds of hours around both the Atlantic City and Wanamaker organs over the past decades I highly recommend making an effort to hear these instruments in person if you are in the area. They are both sonic experiences that simply cannot be duplicated anywhere else in the world. Yes, some days you may get an inferior organist or program - just like getting an average meal at a restaurant with stellar reviews - but on the whole, they are totally unforgettable in their grandeur and power. I can still get tears in my eyes listening to the Wanamaker string division.
                  Last edited by AllenAnalog; 10-12-2019, 01:30 PM.
                  Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Larry,
                    Originally posted by AllenAnalog
                    Atlantic City has seen a total overhaul in organ restoration and operational personnel since Michael was there. A rather difficult person is now gone.
                    I do hope you are right, as my experience is one I'd rather not repeat.

Regarding the Wanamaker, I was there for the 200th and enjoyed the day immensely. The organ is truly spectacular, especially when played by Peter Richard Conte!

Michael

Look, don’t listen - reactions to the performance in another thread. But look at that console and façade! Wild!

Allen ADC 3500
                  Hammond L100

Comment

Some sort of alien reproductive organ...

(sorry)
                    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

It's Art Nouveau come back to haunt us.
                      Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Working...
                      X