Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite performances on YouTube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one of my top ten. These two have had a huge influence on my style...

Comment

Yeah, that’s the stuff!!
      Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Jonathan Scott with his own arrangement of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture.

Comment

• Vebo
          Vebo commented
          Editing a comment
          What is that cylindrical expression pedal? Crescendo? I've seen it twice on this organ, and on another. Is it unique to a certain manufacturer?

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that is what that roller is. It's mainly found on German organs. It's called a Rollschweller, but I may have that spelling wrong.

• RogerM
          RogerM commented
          Editing a comment
          See http://www.scottbrothersduo.com/theo...ewaterhall.htm for more about this 1966 Marcussen (Danish) concert organ at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, UK. The embedded video by Jonathan Scott includes a demonstration of the Rollschweller crescendo wheel at 8.18 minutes in.
          Last edited by RogerM; 11-15-2019, 04:00 PM.

RogerM, thank you so much! I learned a lot from that video! Amazed it can be both a manual and electronic action organ, as well as the expression roller (although the roller reminded me a bit of having to pick up your mouse to reposition to go further as I saw him do in the video, whereas a regular pedal would have the full range without having to reset your foot position)
        Allen ADC 3500
        Hammond L100

Comment

What about this? (Marriage of Figaro Overture - Jonathan Scott)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FUT5hG8lgKQ
          Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
          Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

I first ran into this "kid" on YouTube when he was 12. Now at the ripe old age of 14 he is playing music that some conservatory graduates would struggle with.

Here is Dominic Fiacco playing Jonathan Scott's amazing transcription of the finale of Camille Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony on an Allen organ. I believe the page turner and registrant is his teacher, Stephen Best. The performance and registration are impressive. This was evidently an organ dedication recital and I must say I am VERY impressed with the sound of the organ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4toMvGwrzU

Dominic has been recognized for his talent and was invited to play the West Point organ.

https://thecatholicsun.com/dominic-l...at-west-point/

He also played the Saint-Saëns on the Wanamaker Organ at Macy's in center city Philadelphia. The recording device and reverb time make this performance a bit less enjoyable for me but I can tell you that it is quite an honor to be allowed to play this instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j002HtKvXyE

I wish Dominic well in his career and hope he can have a balance in his life so as not to burn out like some musical prodigies have done in the past.

Stephen Best has posted more of Dominic's performances on his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPu...nY5NXyg/videos
            Last edited by AllenAnalog; 11-23-2019, 04:53 PM.
            Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
            Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
            Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

• AllenAnalog
              AllenAnalog commented
              Editing a comment
              jbird - yes, I wondered that as well. I was hoping to find this instrument as an Organ of the Week on the Allen site to learn more about the stop list but it wasn't there. I do wonder what sample set he used.

myorgan - I agree. He does that in all of his performances. Perhaps he will grow out of it. But we must realize that sometimes the extremely gifted among us do have some physical quirks that must be overlooked. Clearly he is very moved by the music and I find his playing to be quite musical, not mechanical at all. I just closed my eyes during the second listen so I could focus on the music and the voicing of the organ.

Using a piston sequencer and page turn unit would have helped the performance a lot so we didn't have his registrant hovering between the camera and the console.

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Larry,

Great idea about closing my eyes so I can concentrate on the music. I should try it sometime, but I have narcolepsy and end up going to sleep!

Perhaps the teacher can't let go? I saw all the videos with the teacher in the picture–it's almost like he is vicariously living his dreams through his student. Any way you look at it, the student certainly has talent.

Michael

• AllenAnalog
              AllenAnalog commented
              Editing a comment
              Mystery solved - the Allen organ is an RL66a - Rudy Lucente signature model. He commented on the Allen Owners Facebook page that it was "properly installed" - which I take to mean properly voiced for the room. I'll have to check out the spec since I really liked the sound of the organ.

This video is very popular on YouTube recently.
            I really really love it. You can see it's kind of unusual because this organ has only one manual and no pedal. But this guy played this piece so beautifully!
            To be honest I literally cried the first time hearing it. And I was not the only one. You can see in comments that many have tears in their eyes.

This is an example of a music touch your heart so much and makes you cry but you don't even know why you cried. It's simply just too beautiful.

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Sarah,

Thank you for sharing this video. It's nice to see how much variety he can get out of an instrument many of us would not consider using for some of our music. Nice piece too!

Michael
          Working...
          X