No announcement yet.

Tocatta in Fugue in D minor by J. S. Bach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, haters gonna hate. I’m ok with that for bgw 565. But last chance tonight, do you have a fave performance of it? Ima promise to drop it, bcz apparently I'm not supposed to elevate the work.
    Allen ADC 3500
    Hammond L100

Comment

• Leisesturm
      Leisesturm commented
      Editing a comment
      I see no hate for BWV 565 in this thread. We get that you think its the pinnacle of the Master's oeuvre. We don't all agree. Why can't we agree to disagree? Since you are the acknowledged authority on this why don't you share a few outstanding performances? I don't really need to hear yet another rendition but if you can make a good case for it I'm game. But I'll tell you now I'm not much for 'clean, spare, performances'. The T&F in Dm (Dorian) done at St. Mary's Redcliffe might give you an idea of where I'm coming from. Has the P&F in Eb ("St. Anne) entered the conversation?

• Vebo
      Vebo commented
      Editing a comment
      Lieses, I didn’t mean anyone here was hateful, I'm sorry it came across that way - it's a just a common phrase. There is negativity out there for T&F in Dm, the fact a cartoon meme exists demonstrates that. But everyone here on this thread has been super nice, and I'm grateful for the discussion, and sharing of favorite pieces!

This performance by Oilvier Latry at Notre Dame is pretty spectacular.

Not the way I normally like Bach played but this piece can take it. (Whoever wrote it.)
    Last edited by Admin; 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM. Reason: Embedded video

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Embedded video
      https://organforum.com/forums/articl...-share-a-video

• Vebo
      Vebo commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that Peterborough, I like that one a lot! Very clean, and interesting cinematography! Thanks!

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sad recording–on an organ which won't be heard live for years to some. It's nice to have this recording preserved, along with the videography. Thank you for sharing it.

Michael

P.S. I am curious what he's doing with his feet at 7:39. It looks like a trill, but it's not written in the original.

I remember when I was young and CDs were the newest technology, I had a CD by Ton Koopman with T&F Dm on it, so I searched YouTube. I ran across this by Ton Koopman. Noteworthy not because of the performance, but what a wild looking console and façade! Give it a look, listen is optional. (The comments on the video suggest listening at your own peril)

Allen ADC 3500
    Hammond L100

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I think someone told him to take liberties with the piece–and he certainly did! I guess the notes, timing, and ornamentation in the written version were just suggestions.

Yes, the Façade of that organ is truly unique.I would be very curious who the builder is. From the look of the drawknobs and console, it has the look of a mechanical console, but the other manuals (if coupled) are not moving as a mechanical action.

Curious find. This performance makes me think I could certainly be a highly-paid concert artist!

Michael

P.S. After listening to the end, I think it's somewhere in Japan.

• Vebo
      Vebo commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael, I didn’t notice it unit third time seeing it (rewatching ONLY to marvel at the console & facade - I swear the volume was off on my iPad). Look at around 0:30 the 2nd manual is clearly moving with the first, on it's own.

And TBH, it prompted another question, why would anyone build a modern organ with manual/tracker action?

Regarding where it is, the script should be a clue, and yes it looks Japanese to me, but it's all Greek to me. Lol!

• AllenAnalog
      AllenAnalog commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that is certainly not the way I learned to play it. Even Virgil Fox did not do that much damage to the piece.

Enjoy playing the piece but that's too fast for my taste.

Comment

I don't usually like to comment publically on the performances of others because there should be room for different interpretations. It also takes courage to give a public concert. However, this was a mess. One comment on Ton Koopman's performance that Vebo linked to says it better than I can:

What a train wreck! Mistakes everywhere plus very questionable interpretation and ornamentation. So embarrassing.

This is supposed to be music. If he slowed down a bit, perhaps he would not have made so many mistakes. I guess he gets paid whether or not it goes well.

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

• Vebo
        Vebo commented
        Editing a comment
        But what about the look of that organ!?!? :O

• voet
        voet commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right, Vebo. The organ is stunning. I wish the video identified it, because I would like to know more about it. Thank you for your post.

For those who don't care for the T&F in DM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bach.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	669579

Comment

• Vebo
        Vebo commented
        Editing a comment
        Already posted here. But thanks for being sure we didn’t miss it. This kinda thing is part of what prompted my original post.

A “pipe duster?” Love the term...

How about Toccota from Suite Gothique (Boëllmann)

Last edited by Vebo; 11-02-2019, 11:49 PM.
      Allen ADC 3500
      Hammond L100

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the spelling is "Toccata."

Michael

• lizny
        lizny commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the dramatic entrance, but while I adore Jonathan Scott, his isn't my favorite performance of this. Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyHci0j518 - it is the whole suite, toccata at 11:12

• Vebo
        Vebo commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Lizny! That was a superb performance...thanks!

Listening to that, I wonder how the structures can endure the harmonic resonances of such big pieces? I think I recall reading an article that said the Boardwalk organ in Atlantic City has 64’ pipes, and they had asked organists to be “judicious” in using it/them? because it caused damage to the building due to harmonic resonance. Maybe that was an exaggeration to glorify the magnificence of the organ?
        Last edited by Vebo; 11-03-2019, 06:53 PM. Reason: I have an oddly spelled name, hate to misspell anyone else's when the name is right there to see. But yes, sometimes I shorten your names to something brief and more “familiar”

Well, for some reason, the edit button is not visible so I cannot correct it. But thank you Michael for pointing out my typo. Just as well though, your umbrage has already been provoked.
      Allen ADC 3500
      Hammond L100

Comment

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        Posts are editable for twelve hours. You won't see an edit option after that.

Originally posted by Vebo View Post
      ...And TBH, it prompted another question, why would anyone build a modern organ with manual/tracker action?...
      I'd ask "Why not?" A well-built tracker can be an absolute joy to play and listen to.

Comment

And now (for the open minded) for something completely different:

Comment

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I am impressed !!! That was very well done in my opinion. I had no idea that a harp could be so varied in tone and volume. That also looks like a LOT of work to play it in that style.

• Vebo
          Vebo commented
          Editing a comment
          Loved it! I'll bet it's physically exhausting to play! She did a wonderful job transcribing it for harp.

Not an organ, but you've got to give this guy credit for pulling it off:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XKRj-T4l-e8
        Last edited by lizny; 11-14-2019, 10:02 AM. Reason: embedding

Comment

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that is an instrument I have never heard of ! Pretty cool and different. And well done for sure.

• Vebo
          Vebo commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Any other piece so widely interpreted? This piece speaks to so many musicians so much that they want to do it on their instruments. Hackneyed or wide appreciation and love? Just asking, for a friend... =)

Old BWV 565 is my favorite as well. Movies, TV, broadway, etc have painted it to be "scary" over the years but I do not see it that way. Dramatic, yes, but vampires and phantoms don't come to mind for me. My favorite organist by far for that piece would have to be Karl Richter.

Comment

I recalled finding this on youtube. I thought it was rather well done, although nothing beats the King of Instruments for that piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBHTCGEoN0

Comment

Cameron Carpenter is like Marmite (As they say in England) you either like him or hate him. I have to say I politely detest him!. His ability is impressive but his musicality is awful.
            Chris Nabil - Owner of a Roland Atelier 900 Platinum.

Comment

Here is a rendition of it on the accordion, and I think this guy does a masterful job of it too. I'm thinking that it is much more difficult to play it this way, than on an organ.

Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

• Vebo
                Vebo commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang, who can argue with that? That guy was obviously moved to find a way to play a very well done and musical interpretation on his instrument. Amazing!
            Working...
            X