Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vebo
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not fond of french organ work. The high german stuff resonates with me.

• toodles
    replied
    I don't like the tocatta as well as I like the fugue--I think the fugue is quite good. My personal favorite Bach organ work is the Prelude and Fugue in D major--the "chorale" section of the prelude is sublime to my ears--its usually played faster than I think serves it best.

Leave a comment:

• Leisesturm
    replied
    I see what you did there. Full disclosure. I am playing T&F in Dm tomorrow afternoon in concert. However, I do not love the piece. I am not sure I ever have. It is expected at this time of year, however. As to what could 'dethrone' it. Well that would depend on what you like about it. What would that be? The running figures? Toccata (and Fugue) in F Major (BWV 540) has that and more besides. And what about P&F in GM (BWV 541)? Or is it the 'minorness' of it all? Hmmm. Fantasia and Fugue in Cm (BWV 537)? i'm playing that one tomorrow as well. An unhackneyed Bach T&f In Dm is the 'Dorian' version (BWV 538). I cannot speak to organ music as a listening indulgence so consider the source. The toccata's that make it into the winners circle these days are mainly the so called 'French Style' Toccata's typified by the famous 'Widor Toccata' (in F major) that concludes his 5th Organ Symphony. I like several toccatas in this style: Tocatta from Suite Gothique by Leon Boellmann; Toccata from Suite Modale by Flor Peeters; ... that's all I've got. I really should get an early night. Big day tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Vebo
    started a topic Tocatta in Fugue in D minor by J. S. Bach

Tocatta in Fugue in D minor by J. S. Bach

Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor (J. S. Bach) is my favorite organ listening indulgence, so why should I be shy about it? It seems as though it's considered hackneyed (or maybe that’s some self imposed, baseless shame for thinking it's the pentultimate organ composition?) I admit, I prefer a stiff bourbon over a fine vintage of wine. That’s how I roll. Do you love something not too “sublime” as a grand work that you think dethrones Tocatta and Fugue in D minor?

I pose this question, because when I have asked similar-ish questions here, I have been turned on to pieces I love!
Working...
X