Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APipeOrganist
    replied
    My favourite recording of some of the larger Bach works, including 565, is the one by Christopher Houlihan. It's not hugely authentic in its conception, and the organ is symphonic in nature, but he gives a grandeur and power to the playing, as well as some perfectly sublime sections from the T,A&F in C Major, and the F&F in Gm. It's not all of the great works, but it works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Vebo
    commented on 's reply
    Dang, who can argue with that? That guy was obviously moved to find a way to play a very well done and musical interpretation on his instrument. Amazing!

• Vebo
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Any other piece so widely interpreted? This piece speaks to so many musicians so much that they want to do it on their instruments. Hackneyed or wide appreciation and love? Just asking, for a friend... =)

• Larrytow
    replied
    Here is a rendition of it on the accordion, and I think this guy does a masterful job of it too. I'm thinking that it is much more difficult to play it this way, than on an organ.

Leave a comment:

• Larrytow
    commented on 's reply
    Now that is an instrument I have never heard of ! Pretty cool and different. And well done for sure.

• sweet melody 79
    replied
    Cameron Carpenter is like Marmite (As they say in England) you either like him or hate him. I have to say I politely detest him!. His ability is impressive but his musicality is awful.

Leave a comment:

• timnc
    replied
    I recalled finding this on youtube. I thought it was rather well done, although nothing beats the King of Instruments for that piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBHTCGEoN0

Leave a comment:

• timnc
    replied
    Old BWV 565 is my favorite as well. Movies, TV, broadway, etc have painted it to be "scary" over the years but I do not see it that way. Dramatic, yes, but vampires and phantoms don't come to mind for me. My favorite organist by far for that piece would have to be Karl Richter.

Leave a comment:

• lizny
    replied
    Not an organ, but you've got to give this guy credit for pulling it off:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XKRj-T4l-e8
    Last edited by lizny; 11-14-2019, 10:02 AM. Reason: embedding

Leave a comment:

• Vebo
    commented on 's reply
    Loved it! I'll bet it's physically exhausting to play! She did a wonderful job transcribing it for harp.

• Larrytow
    commented on 's reply
    Well I am impressed !!! That was very well done in my opinion. I had no idea that a harp could be so varied in tone and volume. That also looks like a LOT of work to play it in that style.

• Leisesturm
    replied
    And now (for the open minded) for something completely different:

Leave a comment:

• regeron
    replied
    Originally posted by Vebo View Post
    ...And TBH, it prompted another question, why would anyone build a modern organ with manual/tracker action?...
    I'd ask "Why not?" A well-built tracker can be an absolute joy to play and listen to.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    Posts are editable for twelve hours. You won't see an edit option after that.

• RogerM
    commented on 's reply
    I am not an aficionado of pipe organs. Why is Anthony Newman playing a perfectly horrid instrument rather than just having selected a perfectly horrid registration. Might the instrument not sound a lot better with different stops in use?
Working...
X