Daryl Dragon's mobile organ from the Captain and Tennille TV show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daryl Dragon's mobile organ from the Captain and Tennille TV show

The Captain and Tennille had a TV variety show in the mid 70’s. Might have lasted two seasons at most. There were a few sketches which featured Daryl driving a three wheeled organ car, which as a kid at the time I thought was hilarious and funny.

I recently thought about this vehicle and looked it up online but only found a few photos. A Hammond organ but not sure of the model number. The chassis might be a Cushman three wheeled truck or golf cart, backwards with was the front wheel under the bench. While it was seen rolling on the show, I sort of doubt it was powered and may have just been coasting down a slight hill or being towed by a thin cable. Probably had some system for brakes. Maybe a lever under the bench.

If anyone else has any thoughts or actual knowledge on how this vehicle was constructed, I’d like to know.

Attached Files
    Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

The whole thing looks custom to me. The relative heights of the manuals and drawbars suggests that room was made inside the case for “stuff”
    Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Might be a Servicar.

There was a guy at the Wisconsin State Fair this year driving a piano round (whilst playing it).

Comment

I’m thinking from the look of the suspension maybe an “EZGO” golf cart chassis (?)
        Tom in Tulsa

Comment

I looked up the EZGO three-wheel model and think you have it right.
          Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Now I want to build one 8) I have a few options for the organ part "E100", "S", "M3", Jensen Piano-Organ (?)
            Tom in Tulsa

Comment

The Captain was okay, and played a good keyboard while demonstrating his musical writing style, but frankly I was too busy keeping a teenage, boy eye on Tennille. I never understood what she saw in him.
              Until The Next Dimension,
              Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
              -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

Working...
              X