This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

An organ is filled with hundreds and even thousands of phallic symbols. Where else can you sit, other than on an organ bench, and look up and see a 16 foot phallic symbol?
      This could be the reason!
      Last edited by Tony Pipe Milwaukee; 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pipe Milwaukee View Post
        An organ is filled with hundreds and even thousands of phallic symbols. Where else can you sit, other than on an organ bench, and look up and see a 16 foot phallic symbol?
        Well to resurrect an almost-seven-year dormant thread requires a good reason, and I think you provided it. But you raise another question. What about gay flautists, clarinettists, etc.?

Of course a five-octave manual 16' rank of pipes would cover sizes ranging from 6" to 16'. Considering that, you have just given me a very disturbing way of looking at a rank of pipes that I would rather forget if you follow what I'm getting at (and would rather not say).

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pipe Milwaukee View Post
          Oh man, Sigmund Freud would be so happy that you said that. . .
          “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
          “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
          Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
          (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Originally posted by Sathrandur View Post
            But you raise another question. What about gay flautists, clarinettists, etc.?
            A flautist, clarinetist, etc. can only play one at a time, thus only one in their hands.

There must be some attraction to having the ability to play with hundreds, all at the same time, all at the tips of their fingers! This may attract a certain type.

Comment

Presupposition here is that there exists a higher percentage of gay organists compared to gays in other fine arts disciplines. As far as I know, there is no evidence for this assumption as there is also no evidence supporting the "majority of organists are gay" belief.

Honestly, why any of this sexual orientation vis-a-vis the organ is of interest to anyone, unless ones interest in the organ leads one to question their own sexual identity, is beyond me.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I wonder if this refers to organists in general, or more specifically to church organists.

If it's just church organists, I can see a lot of reasons for the abundance of gay organists. It's a chance for gay men to serve their church, without having to be in the same spotlight of scrutiny as a minister. We organists can always find time to practice late, which prevents us from dating in a society where we would otherwise be expected to "find a nice girl", and it limits our income, which prevents us from being able to "support a family." It also gave us an opportunity to do something useful in the church, something for which we would get praise, often at times when we would otherwise receive nothing more than threats of hellfire, if we were ever to come out of the closet.

I know there are dozens of exceptions to this thinking, but it MIGHT provide SOME answers.

In short, the profession allowed us to hide. As times change, this is less necessary, and in fact, I see more gay organists who are out and who attend various functions with partners. With the changes in church life, church music, and (at least here in Canada) diminishing church populations, it will be interesting to see what happens.

As for concert organists, I will have to think a bit about that.

Comment

Originally posted by regeron View Post
                  I wonder if this refers to organists in general, or more specifically to church organists.
                  Your reasons may very well be of a certain degree of relevance, but from my experience almost all church organists are married. In fact, the organ society of which I am a member has such a strong male demographic that I have wondered whether there should be a society for organists' wives (they typically have to put up with a lot of stuff - well at least my wife does).

Still, I agree with Admin - what does this even matter?

Comment

Working...
                  X