Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the name of this hymn?

Hi everyone.

This forum is new to me and I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to be asking, but can anyone help me with a hymnal or sheet music for this hymn. Where can I get it?

I've looked online, and the piece appears to have originated in either the UK or Hong Kong. There are videos of various people singing the piece in a church in Singapore. Member Julianjsoh may have heard the piece and find more information.

Hope that helps you get started, and thanks for sharing the video.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

It appears that this song originated with an Australian gospel group The Faumuis. I was not able to find any music for it, however I did find the text:

Somewhere beyond the blue
      There's a mansion for me.
      Somewhere beyond the blue
      I am longing to be.
      I'll see my Saviour's face,
      And sing of saving grace, ALTERNATELY: And sing Amazing Grace.
      Somewhere beyond the blue some day.

I don't know how comfortable you are playing it by ear, but the cord structure is very simple and the melody is easily memorized. This would be a good piece to start with if you have never done this sort of thing before.

Good luck to you.
      Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

My internet research credits Alfred B. Smith as the author.

Edit: (warning you get just one free chance:
        https://chordify.net/chords/somewher...kezia-yamamoto

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't get that!

The piece sounds like something Alfred Smith may have written, but to my knowledge, he's never referred to it. I have his volume of hymn histories (he met many of the authors personally), and have heard him several times in person, but never this piece. It is nice, and I'd like to use it sometime, however, as the OP mentions, he's looking for written music.

It is quite simple chordally, so I might actually work it out sometime.

Michael

• Leisesturm
          Leisesturm commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried to find written out music but chords was the best I could do <hangs head>. Even if writtten music is found it's going to be someones written out interpretation. I like what the guy in the video was doing. He threw in some chords that didn't exist in 1944. Even the version I found threw in some chords that go beyond the basic chord progression necessary to harmonize the melody. It 'appears' simple chordally but I am not able to identify all the chords in either version. There is more to this song than meets the eye. Good find.
      Working...
      X