This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something like Vierne

Ok, this probably belongs in the classical music thread but I'll try here first.</P>

I did Vierne's Op. 14 (FINAL- 1st Symphony) for Easter prelude. Does anyone have suggestions on something similar in terms of:</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>Length</LI>
    <LI>Difficulty</LI>
    <LI>Massive beginning and ending with a nicer, quieter section in the middle</LI>[/list]

It doesn't need to be Vierne ... but similar. I've also used T&amp;F in D-minor and Vierne's Westminster Carillon. Our local music store carries a lot of squat and I hate placing non-refundable orders at $20 - $30 a pop just to see what they sound like.[:@]</P>

Thanks for your suggestions!!!</P>

Re: Something like Vierne

The Toccata by Marcel Lanquetuit. Extremely similar to the Vierne work - same sort of length, similar difficulty, and has a couple of catchy tunes packed into it. Great fun.

Otherwise, I would recommend Carillon-Sortie by Henri Mulet. It is not too difficult (excepta couple of tricky pages)and is a thoroughly enjoyable work for organists and audiences alike.

Comment

The Final . The Toccata from Widor's "Symphonie V" also fits, but I assume you already play it. []</P>

You can buy all of Franck's major organ works in one volume by Dover - a worthwhile investment, and it should be in every organist's library!</P>

For an English piece of the same description, you might like the Fanfare from Percy Whitlock's "Four Extemporisations".</P>

Comment

Eh, I do have the Widor Toccata ... but I quit practicing it. It drove me batty and I got bored with it very quickly.</P>
        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you. I'll probably order them all and just plow through them over time.</P>

Comment

Working...
        X